Road bike up to £500 (edited to add - now bought thanks!)

grayo59
grayo59 Posts: 722
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Help please.

I do weekly 25/30 mile runs on a 3 yr old halfords hybrid hack.

Want an entry level road bike that:-

Is cheap, durable has drop bars.

Talk to me about double/triple chainsets and pedals please.

And where to buy in Bristol.

Thanks.

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'd go to a good Local Bike Shop (LBS)

I'd recomend a Specialized Allez
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I'd recommend THIS

I bought a small last week, arrived in 2 days. I got a test ride in an LBS to check the size, but then ordered online to get the cheaper price.

Can't complain at nearly half price, and I get on with it fine.

Double chainsets obviously have fewer gears, less at the top and less at the bottom, but less weight. I've got a double and get on fine on all but the steepest of hills, but hopefully that will improve with time!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Milese wrote:
    Double chainsets obviously have fewer gears, less at the top and less at the bottom, but less weight.

From what I've seen most doubles have a 53 ring as the biggest and triples a 52 as the biggest.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Milese wrote:
    Double chainsets obviously have fewer gears, less at the top and less at the bottom, but less weight.

From what I've seen most doubles have a 53 ring as the biggest and triples a 52 as the biggest.

My knowledges comes entirely from what I've learnt from my bike; I know that my biggest ring is a 50 and the triple has a 53. Not to say that this is the norm of course, I dont know.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    edited December 2007
    Milese wrote:
    I'd recommend THIS

I bought a small last week, arrived in 2 days. I got a test ride in an LBS to check the size, but then ordered online to get the cheaper price.

Can't complain at nearly half price, and I get on with it fine.

Double chainsets obviously have fewer gears, less at the top and less at the bottom, but less weight. I've got a double and get on fine on all but the steepest of hills, but hopefully that will improve with time!

Fitted to a known brand name, that looks a fairly decent spec for under 500 quid, IMO!!

Only drawback to the larger rider is that it is only in 42cm and 46.5cm (the latter would do me though :D )
  • redddraggon
    Milese wrote:
    Milese wrote:

My knowledges comes entirely from what I've learnt from my bike; I know that my biggest ring is a 50 and the triple has a 53. Not to say that this is the norm of course, I dont know.

You've got a compact double, rather than a standard double then.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    You sure the triple has a 53, Shimano standard triple is 52/39/30 and Campag seems to be 52/42/30.

After a brief glance on wiggle can't find a 53 on a triple
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    You sure the triple has a 53, Shimano standard triple is 52/39/30 and Campag seems to be 52/42/30.

After a brief glance on wiggle can't find a 53 on a triple

Yea there are some 52/53 tripples

link below to one that has a tripple option (listed under the double)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10151

30/39/53
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Another option? - Focus Summit 2008

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... mit%202008

Alu 6061 frame
    Carbon fork
    Compact 50/34 chainset
    Shimano RS 10 wheelset
    Shimano Sora group
    9.8kg

Other alternatives (as has been mentioned) - Spesh Allez - Giant SCR - whatever you narrow it down to, compare specs in detail though.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Done it - bought a Specialized Allez double for £449, reduced from £499 at Zero G (Garland cycles) in Bedminster Bristol.

Will collect early in the new year.

Thanks for your advice.