Teaching my son or not as the case may be. . .

smithosa
smithosa Posts: 26
So for what feels like an eternity mylittle lad (aged 5 1/2) has been confidently ridning his bike plus stabilisisers. So we've recently attempted to loose the stabilisiers with massive difficulties. In short it aint happening, and before you suggest, find a hill, loose the peddles, hold the seat, I've tried all of them and we're struggling. My lad who I love to bits just seems to lack the confidence, he freezes up looses all balance we both get upset and it just isn't happening. :( I love my lad to bits and simply want us to enjoy riding together.

Any helpful thoughts much apreciated.

I'm also wondering if I'm simply not the best person to teaxch him, but can't think of another way, and ideas on kids holidays ect which can make the whole thingmore fun also much apreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• You've got to perseivere, its the only way. When you think you can't do it any more, something will spark, he will suddenly find his balance and will be off. I went through the exact same thing as you when my lad was 4. When he finds his balance and can ride under his own steam, his grin wil be a mile wide and you will feel like the best dad in the world. So you owe it to both of you to persievere.

When I was out with my lad two years later we came across one of his class mates and his dad, going through the same thing & emotions. His dad was at his wits end, telling me he can't get his balance, etc. Whilst this wa happening my lad was showing off to his class mate who decided there and then he wasn't going to be showed up and simply kicked off and started pedaling away under his own steam. The father's mouth dropped, I smiled and we were off, so it may be an idea to take him somewhere where other boys his own age are riding confidently and your lad may take confidence from this or may simply not want to be showed up in front of these lads.

Good luck and don't give in, its one of the greatest feelings out riding with your own family.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    It may be the hill that's the problem. Just get him to "walk" the bike (-pedals) along. He should get faster and faster till he can take his feet off the ground for longer and longer periods.

Once he's got the confidence in that, he should be ok. if not, put the stabilisers back on and let him choose his own time
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    It may be the hill that's the problem. Just get him to "walk" the bike (-pedals) along. He should get faster and faster till he can take his feet off the ground for longer and longer periods.

Once he's got the confidence in that, he should be ok. if not, put the stabilisers back on and let him choose his own time

+1 from me.

Convert the bike into a 'run-bike'. Remove the pedals and drop the saddle until he can comfortably sit in the saddle with both feet flat on the ground. Scoot around on that for a while, then once you can see he's got the balance (and, probably more-importantly, the confidence) back, bung the pedals on. Get used to that. Then, finally, put the seat up to where it should be.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Jonr
    Jonr Posts: 73
    baudman wrote:

+1 from me.

Convert the bike into a 'run-bike'. Remove the pedals and drop the saddle until he can comfortably sit in the saddle with both feet flat on the ground. Scoot around on that for a while, then once you can see he's got the balance (and, probably more-importantly, the confidence) back, bung the pedals on. Get used to that. Then, finally, put the seat up to where it should be.

I did this this for my daughter when she was about 4 as she was getting no where with stabilizers. I took the pedals, cranks, BB chain off and she learnt to balance on the bike with no feet on the ground in about two days. We played in a park where there was a long but gentle grassy slope where she could keep balancing on the bike with minimum effort and minimum risk of from falling because of the soft grass. it was a super time and she was really enjoying it and learning so quickly too. When we we got a new bike for her the following month ( a Handed down one from a friend) she got on it, I gave her a push and off she went - she'd already learnt to balance so just had to learn to pedal! which in fact pretty much came straight away. So I can fully recommend learning to ride in the is way.
    MTB
    2007 Specialized Stumpy Elite
    199? Kona Explosif Shock Mtb

ROAD
    2008 Jamis Zenith Pro
    2008 Ribble 7005 Audax
  • dnsmiff
    dnsmiff Posts: 52
    I've mentioned this before, try a two wheel scooter; my youngest went straight from this to a bike - no stabilizers.

As they only have two wheels you use the same technique for balance, less stressful for you as the child can learn at their own pace. (peer pressure always does the trick as well!)
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Oops, clicked the wrong thing and I hear I am in the family and kids section!

After reading the original post it just made me think that you might be getting too anxious about it. It'll come in time if he keeps at it so just try and stay relaxed. If he feels that you're anxious and upset he'll feel like he's dissapointing you and throw in the towel. The above suggestions about taking the pedals off are good but also it has to be fun not a nightmare for the poor lad. Don't rush him but let him learn at his own pace in a nice relaxed environment. No pressure.
  • i wouldn't worry too much, i couldnt figure it out till i was 5/6. took me 18 months and many a scratched knee and elbow! i learnt that the faster you go the easier it gets.
    am 16 now and still fall off, wait, what was i saying about goin faster being easier...