How long do your overshoes usually last?

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
I've had my most recent pair of Endura overshoes for about 30 rides and have tried my best to take good care of them being careful when I take them on and off, and even leaving the toes on the shoes, to stop them being repeatedly stretched on and off.

I noticed today that they are beginning to tear at the sole. I realise that they do wear out, but this seems a bit extreme.

So
    1. How long do yours usually last? 2. What do you do to help look after yours?

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    1. I have a pair I bought fifteen years ago.

2. Nothing.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've only had one pair (Endura):

1. Lasted me all of two rides

2. Never had chance.

I had problems with the really grippy neoprene gripping the crank arms and seat stays, meaning they tore themselves up. This was during the summer, and didn't replace them and haven't found the need to replace them even during the times during the winter when I've gone out and it's been less 0C.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Hmm, not wanted I wanted to read.

Depending on how I find my first pair of woolie boolies I could well be in the market for a pair of overshoes.

On a really cold morning I've found even cramming three pairs of Coolmax socks (one pair is a mid-weight walking sock) to be insufficient.
    Poor circulation is a bit of a family trait but those mesh fronts on the shoes can't be helping.

I've looked at a set of Gore MTB III's but I don't want to throw £50 at something that may only last a handful of rides.
  • 1. I'm still on my first pair of Decathlon neoprene overshoes, but I only went clipless a few months back.

2. I chuck them in the washing machine from time to time. So far I've had to sew them back together twice when seams have started to come apart, but they're still going.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Coochcp
    Coochcp Posts: 131
    I'm still on my first pair of neoprene Endura overshoes which I commute in 13miles each way and wear them all through winter (this is their second season), however they have needed repairs, the Velcro tag that pulls over the zip has been glued back together twice when the Velcro separated from the tag and the bottoms have all but torn out, for this I've used a wetsuit glue like this http://www.simplyscuba.com/ProductDetai ... tockID=335 and stitch it, I tend to glue the edges first then stitch with a strong cotton going about 5mm into the neoprene so the stitch doesn't pull out then glue over the stitch as well, I did that towards the end of last winter and I'm ready to do it again.

1. about 3 months before repairs but still going strong now

2. repairs and wash with other commuting clothes every week (remember to do up the Velcro before washing)
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I suggest the problem is wearing SPD cleats and walking in them. They last longer with Look/SPD SL cleats. I use Look Keo with the cleat covers and have worn booties for the last 2 months - no damage at all (and I walk over a mile each day in them)
  • OFOAB
    OFOAB Posts: 905
    1 - ABOUT 3500 - 4000 MILES WORTH OF RIDING
    2 - VERY LITTLE, WASHING MACHINE VERY RARELY
    I wish I was any place but the someplace I\'m in
  • How lobg is a piece of string as they say, I get a couple of winters out of mine, although I don't walk anywhere in them, apart from bike, accross the carpet in the cafe and fro front door into bedroom :lol:

Friend of mine got one day out of his; walked up a long gritty hill and by the top.......... :cry: :shock:

Paul_Smith
    www.bikeplus.co.uk

topcattim wrote:
    I've had my most recent pair of Endura overshoes for about 30 rides and have tried my best to take good care of them being careful when I take them on and off, and even leaving the toes on the shoes, to stop them being repeatedly stretched on and off.

I noticed today that they are beginning to tear at the sole. I realise that they do wear out, but this seems a bit extreme.

So
      1. How long do yours usually last? 2. What do you do to help look after yours?
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    It depends how much use they get and how tatty you're prepared to let them get. Winter overshoes and racing oversocks both get chewed up pretty quickly. My current winter booties have lasted me a long time - maybe 4 or 5 winters but they are now in very poor shape indeed. I should be ashamed of them really but they take a lot of punishment and if I got new ones they'd be looking sorry for themselves within a few rides too. The old ones still do their job.

1. 4 or 5 years

2. Try not to walk in them further than necessary.

Ruth
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I've had my Endura overshoes for 5 years now. Used them regularly for commuting over 4 winters plus weekend rides. I've never tried to minimise how far I walk in them and have done no maintenance or cleaned them in that time. They look a bit scabby, but they still do what they should. I'll probably need to replace them this winter.
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Winter overshoes and racing oversocks both get chewed up pretty quickly.
    Ruth, by 'racing oversock' do you mean the waterproof ones like Sealskinz?
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    My current winter booties have lasted me a long time - maybe 4 or 5 winters but they are now in very poor shape indeed. I should be ashamed of them really but they take a lot of punishment and if I got new ones they'd be looking sorry for themselves within a few rides too. The old ones still do their job.

My Endura neoprene ones started falling apart after the first ride, god knows what's holding them together now. The zip on the left one fell off the other week, which should of prompted me to buy new ones.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Crapaud wrote:
    Ruth, by 'racing oversock' do you mean the waterproof ones like Sealskinz?
    No, I mean the lightweight fabric oversocks that time triallists put over their shoes and socks to make them more aerodynamic. They have heel and cleat holes just like winter booties, but they get mauled by every step you take in them too.

Ruth
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Before you invest in overshoes, make sure that your shoes doesn't scuff the crank arm - otherwise they won't last very long at all. Likewise, walking in overshoes wears holes in them too - a winter MTB shoe might be more suitable in this case. Neoprene isn't very tough as it's just foam rubber and there are other types of oveshoe made from thinner, coated fabrics which are waterproof, but not so warm e.g. Pro H2O
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pjh
    pjh Posts: 204
    Getting them a size bigger than your shoes is a good idea too :D ... that way they aren't being stretched so much.

I bought a pair about 8 weeks ago and have worn them probably 25 times ... and they're pretty scuffed and tatty looking already. It's doubtful whether they'll last for next winter :(

It's great to be .....
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Most overshoes don't last any time at all if you walk around in them. The best I have found for not disintegrating when walked in, are the BBB windproof ones. They are thin and light weight but still warm. You can put them on first, before your shoes, as thy slide over your ankles then do up underneath the shoe by velcro strap. This means it is easy to take your shoes off in a cafe, or to adjust your shoes, without removing the over shoes first as yo can undo them and fold them up over the tops of your shoes. They have a large walking area as they basically have no sole. I still managed to bugger mine though, by pulling them down too far over the heels of my shoes and then treading on the fabric. :roll: However, no further damage has occurred at all since then. For a comparison, I also wore a small hole in the toe/sole in my much thicker assos ones and in the heel/sole of my thick adidas ones on the first wear, but again, they have not disintegrated any further - I assume because I always walk on the same small area of toe and heel..
  • My BBB neoprene overshoes have lasted 3 winters and probably have at least 3 more years left in them.

I try not to walk in them, although in the first wearing one of the 'studs' in the front of the shoe put a neat hole through the overshoe. Got some black leather and sewed, or rather the wife sewed, a neat patch to the front of each overshoe. No problems since.
    Republic of Lithuania
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    i've had planet x for 3 years and not one problem. cheap too!
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    Because my bike-park at work is on a gravel-covered quadrangle, walking on gravel is unavoidable. Hence my Prendas overshoes had a hole in them on only their second trip. And, bizarrely, sticking them in the washing machine didn't clean them at all so I just use a wet cloth. But they were only £12.50 from Prendas and otherwise OK if I use some TLC.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • 1st ever pair this winter and I've ridden approx 60 journeys (mostly commutes) covering 630-650 miles and no problems with my Adidas road neoprene overshoes. As for cleaning...the cyclists best friend - baby wipes!
  • I got a pair of windtex over shoes from the bargain bucket in my LBS.Cost me 12 quid still goin strong after 2 winters :D
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    Ok, well it seems that I'm not looking after my overshoes well enough, or maybe I've just had very bad luck. I've just bought a new pair of Dhb overshoes and will hope to do a lot better with these ones...