Carrera Vulcan ? + hydraulics brakes??

02walkerj
02walkerj Posts: 80
edited December 2007 in MTB buying advice
I think like the best bike to get on my budget, unless anyone knows of any other bikes for around £250 or under?

I have read the review:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ulcan-8984

And it says: it can be "be easy to upgrade to hydraulics"
How would I upgrade to hydraulic brakes (is it easy enough to do myself), around how much willl it cost, and do I need to change the disc part on the wheel.

BTW, how mant people here use hydraulics, and how much better are they.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Mongoose Tyax Elite is worth a look too.

As for hydraulics, easy enough to fit (if you don't have to cut the hoses to length, or to thread them through hose guides).

You would be best replacing the 'old' rotors with the new ones that come with the hydraulic brakeset.

It'd cost from ~£100 (for both F&R sets) to get some decent quality ones (Shimano Deore).
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Hydraulics are VERY good, mechanical are good but you will be forever adjusting the pads when they wear, most hydraulic brakes self adjust (they're hydraulic).

As for fitting its just a matter of unbolting the old ones and fitting the new ones and lining them up, Then doing up the bolts once you're sure they are inline. (its not too hard to do, and worse you'll get is a rubbing pad/ vibrating etc if they're not inline)
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    All depends on the type of riding you will be doing if you need to upgrade to hydraulics.
    If you are riding along the canal every Sunday the brakes on the Vulcan are fine.

This difference between cable and hydro is like chalk and cheese, mechanical have big levers and you have to pull on them like hell if you are flying down a big hill.
    Hydraulics small levers and one/two finger pull and will lock both wheels up with little effort.

As for upgrading, if its something you choose at a later date because you are then riding more technical stuff , it will cost you probably just over £100 for a set of Shimano hydros. Then you need the tools to so the job (torx driver for the rotor, stud lock and a few spanners). You will probably have to cut the hose to length so you would have to know how to bleed the system.

Then you will look back and think why I didn’t buy the Carrera Kraken.

We have all done it ……. lol