Handlebars + Stem

OllyUK
OllyUK Posts: 230
edited December 2007 in MTB buying advice
Im upgrading the stem and handlebars on my bike, and am torn between 2 options. (looking for 100mm length stems)

Truvativ Team Carbon riser + easton ea70 stem (oversized) from merlin ~£70
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=74

or

Raceface deus xc bar + stem from wiggle for around £53 atm
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ebar%20Set

Also Im undecided whether to go for oversized or 25.4mm diameter, are there any disadvantages of going oversized?
Does anyone have any experience with these stems and handlebars?
I have a budget of up to £70

Regards

Olly

Comments

• OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    Im not so keen on the richeys, and Ive heard good things about the deus xc stems and bars however Im kind of tempted by the shiney carbon truvativ bars and know easton stems are always sturdy.
  • I just ordered the Carbon bar and stem combo from Merlin. Its a bit more expensive at £90, but the one at £50-odd quid is a great deal.

I can wholly recommend Ritchey stuff, I had them on my old GT for a while.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I had a Deus on my Anthem and it was perfectly good. Looks really good and does the job well.

Only downside is that the bolts provided with it have corroded slightly in the allen key recesses.

I was getting round to selling my 110mm (good as new) version, if you were interested?
  • easyg
    easyg Posts: 266
    I have got Truvativ Team Carbon bars and the Truvativ Team Stem and can seriously say that they look uber cool - the fact that they are as light as a packet of crisps as well makes me smile :lol:

Not actually used them as yet as they are part of a custom build but they have great write ups on the gear section of this website so should be fine.

I too would vouch for the Ritchey gear though like GT Destroyer and have seen him in action - all 18+ stone of him coming down on the ritchey carbon bars with no probs what so ever...

Decisions, decisions...
    "If you think straight enough, you can see round corners"