2008 Ambitions?

APIII
APIII Posts: 2,010
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
So what is everyone aiming for this year?

For me, I'm aiming to do the Marmotte for the first time and hopefully do a bit of touring in the Pyrenees. For the wife, well she wants to start a family, so that's why I need to do the Marmotte THIS year :lol:

Comments

• Got to a few century rides as i haven't broken the 100mile barrier yet. Other than that just to keep riding and enjoying it :D
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Keep the riding up - that's it !!
  • I'm aiming to make 2nd Cat and then enter some National races later in the year.

Trouble is I only have 3 races left that I'm able to enter and I still need to get 24 points to make 2nd Cat. There is always 2009 I suppose.
  • Get back to a Century a month, doing some long distance stuff

Lose some weight then I'll be able to enjoy 2 months holiday in UK & France on a bike.

gb
  • Complete both the Ryedale Rumble and White Rose Classic in gold standard time.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I'm aiming fo a Randonneur 1000 (100, 200, 300, plus other events to a total of 1,000 km). I'll mostly be targeting 200km rides to make up to 1000km. All being well, I'd like to give a 400km ride a go. 2008's a stepping stone, I hope, towards London - Edinbugh - London in 2009 (if there are any places left by the time I feel I'm ready for it).

Except for a few rides, towards the end of this year, to see what my current fitness is, I've been off of the bike for the best part of 1 1/2 years. So, a fairly serious challenge. Training starts tomorrow using Polar Personal Trainer.

<harry hill> I'd better get down that fettling bay! </harry hill>
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • I hit my goal for 2007 of doing 50 miles in a day so this years target is to clock up several 50s and do 75. I have a strech goal of a century.
  • I'd like to have a first crack at a sportive this year, probably just a 60 or so miler at first then see how things go from there. Now just need to pick one.
  • Doing a charity ride in July - London to Paris in 3 days.. I cant wait :D
    Keep ramping up the mileage, I want to have ridden a few centuries before London to Paris.
    Try and enter a few TT's
    Just keep enjoying being out on the bike.

Happy new year to everyone
  • get down to target weight and maintain. do a c double century in the summer. ride as much as possible

Gats
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    Get to a CAT 2 racer in 1 season.

Beat the Lancaster Uni cycle team in the Roses competition.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • I want to get a gold medal in the 2008 Etape Du Tour.
  • daowned
    daowned Posts: 414
    UncleFred wrote:
    I want to get a gold medal in the 2008 Etape Du Tour.

Me too :)
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    homercles wrote:
    I'd like to have a first crack at a sportive this year, probably just a 60 or so miler at first then see how things go from there. Now just need to pick one.

me too, also would like to break 30 minutes for 10 miles.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Keep up with the Uni club next year. Get a good 10mile time, (not having done one yet - I don't know what's good for me), and get some good preparation to start some 4th cat road races in 2009.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Same as the two guys above. Especially train more. Two weeks mountain training while following the Tour in July should help :-D
  • Keep on enjoying my riding,basically, and do more challenging offroad routes.
    "With just a little luck
    A little cold blue steel
    I'll cut the night like a razor blade
    Till I feel the way I wanna feel"
    [Cheap Trick]
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    At the moment, because of the problem with my joints, my main aim for 2008 is to ride my bike, just once. If I can do that, I'll build on that.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Work up the will to do the Bicycle Tour of Colorado again. Loose enough weight to
    make the ride a bit easier on this aging body of mine.

dennis noward
  • This will be my first season racing, so I want to break 27 minutes for a ten. I also want to ride a crit race. Ride the Dartmooor Challenge, which will be my foray to a ride over 100 miles and lastly try and keep up my training which will amount to around 200+ miles a week.

Lets see what happens..
  • This'll be my first full year of 'proper' cycling; aims are to complete the Fred Whitton in sub-7 hours (although I understand just getting an entry place may be more difficult than that!), and to get up Mt Ventoux from Bedoin in under 90 minutes in July.

Apart from the cycling, I'm planning to attempt the Bob Graham Round (24 hour fell running challenge thingy) in June.

If manage all that, I'll probably do nothing for the rest of the year!
  • I want to get rid of my throat infection and be able to do some cycling :(
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    Mine are:

- Get more confident with descending/cornering
    - Be fully prepared for the sportives I'm doing (esp. Dragon)
    - Try some road races
  • ndodd
    ndodd Posts: 54
    new bike = more miles= lose weight
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    feel wrote:
    homercles wrote:
    I'd like to have a first crack at a sportive this year, probably just a 60 or so miler at first then see how things go from there. Now just need to pick one.

me too, also would like to break 30 minutes for 10 miles.

both of them for me too! :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Richrd2205
    Richrd2205 Posts: 1,267
    Mine are fairly defined:
    -(at least) a metric century a month.
    -Complete my planned "stag" weekend of 400km in 3 days
    -Climb Mt Ventoux (will be in Provence on honeymoon & have permission to do this)
    -do my first audax
    -complete my first 200km in a day ride
    -rationalise my bikes (sell old ones & buy a new one)
    -get better at climbing
    Ask me next year how far I got....
    (damn, I forgot that this site holds old pages longer than C+....)
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Do a few sportives near me, Cheshire Cat , Cannock & Leek.
    Get to Hewitts for a proper bike fitting.
    Finish the LeJoG I crashed out of a couple of year ago.
    Do at least a century a month in some form.
    Sub 25 mins for a 10
    Do the local TT with the club instead of just timing myself.
    Get back to a good weight for me, about 5kg less from current.

Hmm that's it so far.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    To get somewhere near my target weight for my height, well nearer than I am at the moment :shock: :D which means loosing a couple of stone.

To complete day 1 of the tour of wessex in May 2008. I did the 50 in 2007 and I've entered for the 91 mile route on day 1 for 2008

Then to build my fitness etc over the summer, autumn and winter more than I have done this year with a view to doing the full 3 day tour of wessex in 2009.