Which age is most suitable for Cycle Riding

dilipv
dilipv Posts: 2
hi all,
I am nursery worker from past few years. During my work , lots of parents asked me about cycle riding. As we know kids love to rid the cycle but they have some suitable age for this. Hence my question is" Which age most suitable for cycle riding for kids?". Most of the time i give answer as above 8 years. Is it right OR wrong but it is my personal advice to them.
Waiting for an answer.
Thanks in advance
Dilip
Teacher Jobs

Comments

• With my kids it ended up as a bit of a progression. I can not remember a specific age when they rode on a bike on their own. Both of them started on bike seats on the back our bikes and this progressed to tagalong/ trailargator affairs. So we were still suppling the bulk of the power and balance but they were learning to pedal and balance. At about the same time they had ther own bikes with stabilisers. by 8 or nine they were ready fo cycle proficiency tests
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    It depends on the child. Some can ride at 2, 3, 4, or 5, while others don't have the confidence to learn until they're 8 or 9.

I'm assuming that, as you're a nursery worker your question is aimed at the lower age bracket.

If your nursery can afford it, perhaps they could consider getting some "walkalong" bikes - no brakes, pedals, chain, etc. thie kids simply sit on the bike and propel themselves by "walking" it along. Pretty soon they can get up suffficent speed to take their feet of the ground for considerable distances. They're then ready to ride a normal bike without all the faff of stabilisers.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • dave5n
    dave5n Posts: 3,307
    Most kids should be able to ride at four, I reckon
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi DILIP i live in the Netherlands and most kids here can ride a bike at 5 years of age, without any problem. I have two kids myself and learnt them both to ride. If you want any tips on how to learn kids to ride a bike please let me know and i will be happy to oblige. regards Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    My girls all started on bikes with stabilizers from around the age of 3 if memory serves me correctly. The eldest, now 7, started riding without them around the age of 5 (i think!) and has just grown in confidence from there.

The other 2 are still on stabilzers but progressing nicely. I'd see nothing wrong with them being on bikes with stabilizers from this kind of age as they can't really hurt themselves, but then it depends on the kids really!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    If your nursery can afford it, perhaps they could consider getting some "walkalong" bikes - no brakes, pedals, chain, etc. thie kids simply sit on the bike and propel themselves by "walking" it along. Pretty soon they can get up suffficent speed to take their feet of the ground for considerable distances. They're then ready to ride a normal bike without all the faff of stabilisers.

Gets my vote too!
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Hello Dilipv

It does depend on the child but being an avid cyclist mine were destined to ride.

The walkalong bikes are a great idea.

I was a stay at home dad and am now a single parent raising my two girls.

My girls now 14 and 12, both in turn started as babies strapped in a car seat that was strapped in a trailer. Big sister moved to a bike seat when little sister took over the trailer.
    When big sister was 5 years of age she started stoking on the back of our tandem with little sister still in the trailer.
    Soon enough little sister took the back seat of the tandem and big sister started on a Burley Piccolo towed behind the tandem. 5 years ago we bought a triplet bicycle and they are still riding back there.