XC Brakes

Phil.Baker
Phil.Baker Posts: 9
edited December 2007 in XC and Enduro
Hi,

I am a first time poster and am still a bit of a noob when it comes to most things biking, but I really enjoy it all the same. I have got a Specialized Hardrock pro 07 and want to upgrade the brakes on it because I think the Hayes Sole are crap.

I mainly go on red routes, mostly the Follow The Dog track on Cannock Chase (doubt that helps to most of you :D )

I have got about £250ish to spend and want brakes for front and back so any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Also what size do you think I should have for front and back? I have ben advised to have 203mm on the front and 185mm on the back.

Cheers for the help

Phil

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    set of juicys range from £100 to £250ish check chain reaction cycles
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    180 Front & 160 rear is plenty for XC/AM riding. Whoever advised you 203/180 is talking crap, on a DH rig, yes on a XC rig no way will you need that much power (& extra weight)

Formula Oro, Shimano, Hope & Avid all worth looking at for new brakes.

My personal faves are Hope (not tried Formula, but lots of good reviews).
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Cheers guys,

I was sort of looking at the Avid's/Hope's and would probably prefer the hope if I'm honest but it doesn't matter too much to be honest.

Which type of Hope's would you advise if any because I looked at the Mono Mini's and the M4's but I really want one that has got the most power, be it Avid or Hope.

Thanks again
  • Bazzowmb
    Bazzowmb Posts: 227
    Merlin doing a great deal on 2007 XT set - £109!

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... goryId=115

I've got a set with 160 rotors and I've got no complaints.
  • Would something like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=22189 be good or worth the money.

Also as I said in the first post, I'm a bit of a noob, so why would having a 203mm rotor be unsuitable because I have just been told it would give more power???

Cheres
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You can have too much power I have still got the scars from the last time I panicked and hit the brakes

160mm front brake okay if you weigh up to about 13 stone above that go to a 180mm front rotor but for XC you wont need anything bigger

200mm plus front rotor is only for downhill riding and if you use that much power for XC you had better get used to headbutting the ground
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    M4's would be a bit overkill for xc, I use LX hydros and they've been good. But again XT's, Hope Mini's or Juicy 5/7's might be what you're looking for, maybe best to try a few and see what you like.
  • Noodoo
    Noodoo Posts: 214
    I got a set of Avid Juicy 7's for Christmas, from CRC. Unfortunately, i've not been able to fit them yet because the front brake hose is too short. It appears to have been cut to length for a Left hand Front. Odd, but i'm sure they'll sort it out when I call them later.
    Incidentally, i'll be using 160 front and rear.
    Can't wait t use them, should offer a tad more modulation than my Cable discs!

Saracen Mantra with Marzocchi MX Pro ETA\'s, 24-7 Silverstar pedals... and a map holder.
  • Cheers for the help guys

Lets speak hypothetically now-one my Specialized, the disc brake is 160mm I think. Woild I be able to upgrade this to say a 185mm or 203mm if I chose to?

I'm going to get the 160mm most likely now anyway but I'm just wondering because my Dad says I would't be able to but I'm sure I heard one of my mates saying he upgraded the size of his.
  • Yes you would be able to fit a 185mm or 200mm rotor, just make sure you have the right size adapter.

As the guys above say, go for 185mm on front and 160mm on back, that will give you more than enough power.

If you do go for 200mm rotor this could put a lot of stress on the forks and cause them to flex.

Remember power isn't everything when in it comes to braking it's how you use your brakes and when you brake.
  • Why is it considered better to have a bigger brake on the front than on the back. Would it matter if they were both 185mm or s there a reason for it?
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    you can pick up some juicy 5s for £60 each. I posted a link a while back in buying advise to a place that had some just before christmas.

noodoo how much travel do your forks have? at 100mm i have loads of hose spare (which is reassuring in case i wind the u-turn to 130mm)

and they offer more modulation. My 5s are about 50% bedded in and more modular then my old hayes MX2s. Gonna get them up to 100% performance today with the first proper ride on them.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Blundell
    Blundell Posts: 308
    Go for a pair of Hayes 9's. They should fit on where your soles left off, seemlessly. Also, they are well powerful, and need bugger all maintenace
  • I would never go for hayes. And it sounds like you also have had a bad experience for you. And everyone else says they need loads of maintaining...?
    Anyways i have avid 5's on mine, 160mm rotors front and back. Im 10.5 stone and easily enough power to lock up in any situation. The avids also have a really nice feel, and have a sort of exponential lever movement, so theres lots of movement for the beginning of braking (giving u a large amount of control of weak braking) but then if u really need to just squeeze a bit further and the power it there. Really impressed with them.
    In response to ur question, u have a larger rotor up front as your front brake is the most important one which gives you more control. Also the front brake requires more power to lock up than the rear (mainly because if ur braking ur going downhill usualy and so ur weight is over the front wheel).
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Phil.Baker wrote:
    Why is it considered better to have a bigger brake on the front than on the back. Would it matter if they were both 185mm or s there a reason for it?

Most of the braking is done by the front brake on any vehicle. Most cars will have bigger front brakes than rears. On bikes, as there are only 3 sizes, you can choose to have fornt and rear the same, or the fornt bigger. It would be overkill to have 185 on the backs for XC - 185/160 would be fine.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Thanks a lot for the advice- do you think these would be suitable http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... ts_id=4916 ???

Cheers again for all the help
  • I'll probably look at getting those then or do you think the Hope Mono Mini's would be better. Personally I can't really see much of a difference in overall quality I am just at the stage now eher I am going to get the Avid's above or the Hope's

Opinions please :)
  • definatley the avid 7's! they look amazing, and im an avid convert! After trying avids for the first time i have been hooked. Really nice feel and control and lots of power. Hope are really good too, but i would go for the avids.
    A mate of mine had hope M4's but didnt like and swapped to avid ultimates recently....
  • schmako
    Personal preference really. I like hopes (M4's on the Patriot). Not heard much wrong with either brakes though.
  • Just been down to my local bike shop and ordered in some of the Hope Mini's :D:D

They should be coming in next week because they need to order a new post mount because mine are not IS or something like that.

Anyway I just wanted to say thanks a lot for all the help and advice-probably the first time I've learnt something worth knowing on the internet....

Cheers again, really appreciate it

Phil
  • the brakes on my hardrock pro are piss poor as well. the 1st couple of rides they were really sharp and could put you over the bars, but now they aint so good, i put it down to me getting a bit porkier (now nearly 14 stone :oops: ) but i heard somewhere that you need to adjust the caliper as the pads wear because only one side of the caliper slides, so you need to adjust the other side out. i was also going to try uprated pads from ebc (used them on the car and they seemed ok) anyone any ideas on this?
    only when you stare death in the face do you feel most alive
  • jimmyp1873 wrote:
    as the pads wear because only one side of the caliper slides, so you need to adjust the other side out.

That is only the case on mechanical disk brakes. All hydraulic brakes have dual (or more on some hope models) pistons that both move to the rotor.
  • looked at mines and only one side seems to move......will have a closer inspection tomorrow when the stella wears off.... :shock:
    only when you stare death in the face do you feel most alive
  • schmako
    IIRC Hayes Soles and the cheap Hope whatever's are hydraulic, but only one side moves!
  • i stand corrected if thats true
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Schmako wrote:
    IIRC Hayes Soles and the cheap Hope whatever's are hydraulic, but only one side moves!

None of the Hope brakes are single piston (only one side moves), all are at least twin piston.

Hayes Sole (hydraulic) are and most cable discs are single piston
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • schmako
    Ayee, must be another brake manufacturer that produces single sided hydraulics. (cant remember!)
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    dont magura do the gustav which i think is two pistons on one side? i may be wrong but still.
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    but the Gustave is a floating caliper design.

hydros and cable disc can be either single sided or dual sided.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown