Which Mud Guards for Giant SCR?

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Sorry for another post but I'm full of questions today!

Any recommendations for mud guards for my Giant SCR 1? Its got mounting bosses.

Something from Wiggle would be good, as I'm 'refering a friend'.

What about THESE?

I dont want anything that looks too gay and they must be black.

Comments

• Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    Milese wrote:
    I dont want anything that looks too gay.

Mudguards can be gay ? :roll:
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    I haven't noticed if my Salmon mudguards have been indulging in any overt sexual behaviour in the 12 years I've had them on 653 audax-style bike so I'm not sure if they're gay or not but they look fine even if they're aluminium. They're very narrow and available anodised in various colours, perhaps even black. They're also long enough at the back for me to have got away without a mud-flap with few complaints from wheel suckers :)

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    Milese wrote:
    What about THESE?

Are you sure they'd fit a road bike? I'd suggest the narrowest version of THESE instead.
  • milese
    Thanks Pw1brown.

Do you own them? Any pics of them on a bike?

As for the 'gay' terminology, you knew what I meant.
  • bowser
    bowser Posts: 163
    i use sks 35mm you can get them on line from ribble cycles for 12.75 plus p+p
    they come in black or silver i have the black on my scr3
    easy to fit and come with quick relaese on ft handy if you get a stone stuck
    as clearance is narrow with 26mm tyres
    must admit im not a fan of guards but needs must in winter
    bowser ps if you ride with a club or are concerned about other road users they are available with a rear flap for an extra couple of quid (bargain!)
  • milese
    Thanks Bowser, thats a great price.

What does the flap do? Protect from throwing stones?
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    It stops spray from getting your feet wet at the front, and makes life more pleasant for people on your tail at the back.
  • Don't get the sks narrow guards with mudflaps that ribble advertise, they will not fit through the front forks without being trimmed, which weakens them substantially. Use the sks narrow (35mm) without mudflaps, they have a more rounded profile and fit through the forks without any trimming. I appreciate that the description is the same on the web, but I have bought both sets and they are different as you can see if you look closely at the picture. Two of us use the same mudguard on a trek and scr which seem to share the same fork, without any clearance problems.
  • blim
    blim Posts: 333
    I've got SKS race blades on my SCR3 which don't use the bosses - they're not as long/big as full guards but do an admirable job and are dead easy to fix and remove. Only problem is that the rubber mounts can get grit and stuff trapped underneath them which can damage the paintwork on your seat stays.
    kop van de wedstrijd
  • milese
    Don't get the sks narrow guards with mudflaps that ribble advertise, they will not fit through the front forks without being trimmed, which weakens them substantially. Use the sks narrow (35mm) without mudflaps, they have a more rounded profile and fit through the forks without any trimming. I appreciate that the description is the same on the web, but I have bought both sets and they are different as you can see if you look closely at the picture. Two of us use the same mudguard on a trek and scr which seem to share the same fork, without any clearance problems.

Damn!

I ordered the narrow guards in black without the flaps.

Then the guy from Ribble phoned and said they've not got any stock of them in black, and will do them in silver with flaps for the same price, saying they are the same. I'd ordered some other bits, so whilst I didn't want silver I agreed anyway because they're not expensive and I need some!

I think they tried to deliver them today, so I'll collect them from the PO tomorrow and see if they look like fitting. If not they can have them back!
  • milese
    To give an update to anyone interested or future searchers.

They arrived, and fitted fine with no trimming. Took a little while to fit them and get them nicely adjusted with even clearences.

Not riden with them yet, but they seem secure with a good fit. The flap is on the front, which I wasn't expecting.