KM or M?

songwriter
songwriter Posts: 109
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
Whats the prefered measurement in the cycling world?
The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I stick to miles on my computer, I just can't relate to Km. If they changed the roadsigns to metric it might be different.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    KM for me...

Coz that is what I've done since I started - largely as that is what a lot of sportives are denominated in...
    Rich
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Miles for me because I live in England!
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Km, but then again, I spent my formative adults years in Germany and am much more comfortable with km. Equally, hill walking maps are effectively in km. Finally, I like that the numbers pass more quickly .
  • skinny man0903
    skinny man0903 Posts: 37
    edited December 2007
    I have to say miles per hour for me, I haven't got the time to convert to km plus as someone has said I live in england
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    KM for me as the computer mapping is set to use meters for elevations and KM for distance.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    miles better :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    woody-som wrote:
    KM for me as the computer mapping is set to use meters for elevations and KM for distance.
    Memorymap can be set to metric or imperial!
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Km or M, it makes little difference to me, though why this question is being asked nearly 40 years after the UK went metric is a strange one. I'm 42 and I went through school using entirely metric measurements. A decision should be made to change and let future generations adapt to what they actually learn in school.
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    Nickwill wrote:
    woody-som wrote:
    Memorymap can be set to metric or imperial!
    I know, but elevations are always marked in metric regardless of settings, and paper maps are also designed for metric measurements. Using metric measurements for everything just makes life easier, for me anyway.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Nickwill wrote:
    Miles for me because I live in England!
    Ditto
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    I use whatever sounds better! An 80 km ride sounds longer than a 50 mile ride but 5 miles from home sounds shorter than 8km!
  • most signposts,speed signs,and car speedometer's are in miles so good enough for me.
    What next Farenheit or celsius :roll: :lol:
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    most signposts,speed signs,and car speedometer's are in miles so good enough for me.
    Centigrade, actually.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    most signposts,speed signs,and car speedometer's are in miles so good enough for me.
    Centigrade, actually.

Celsius, actually.
    Celsius is, or relates to, the Celsius temperature scale (previously known as the centigrade scale)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centigrade
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Judging from some of these answers I should have asked who in this day and age is obsessed with their nationality.

Who cares what country you come from. Some of you sound like the dad in the film Breaking Free.lol

Chill out grandads :D
    The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    songwriter wrote:
    Judging from some of these answers I should have asked who in this day and age is obsessed with their nationality.

Who cares what country you come from. Some of you sound like the dad in the film Breaking Free.lol

I wouldn't worry about - they'll be in for a big shock when they find out the earth isn't flat after all :lol:
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    songwriter wrote:
    Judging from some of these answers I should have asked who in this day and age is obsessed with their nationality.

I wouldn't worry about - they'll be in for a big shock when they find out the earth isn't flat after all :lol:

Reminds me of the youngster who pointed out to the old guy that he wouldn't be able to understand modern youth because he hadn't been brought up with the internet, mobile phones and satellite communication. The old guy acknowledged that those technologies were indeed not available to his generation when the were young, but they saw the need ... and invented them :lol:

I usually use miles when I'm in the UK or the US but km when elsewhere. It's just easier to use the units displayed on the sign posts. I've used the Celsius temperature scale for over 40 years as it was the norm in the engineering environment where I worked.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    This can't be a real question. Just can't be. Maybe I've had too much to drink tonight but it can't be a real question. Who cares what you measure except yourself.Sorry I have had too much to drink tonight.

Dennis Noward
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I am English but live in the Netherlands, so it,s Kilometres for me for obvious reasons.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    RichA wrote:
    KM for me...

Coz that is what I've done since I started - largely as that is what a lot of sportives are denominated in...

Practically every UK sportive I've done has been in miles.

I've done a few audax and they're in km...
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Geoff_SS wrote:

Reminds me of the youngster who pointed out to the old guy that he wouldn't be able to understand modern youth because he hadn't been brought up with the internet, mobile phones and satellite communication. The old guy acknowledged that those technologies were indeed not available to his generation when the were young, but they saw the need ... and invented them :lol:

I usually use miles when I'm in the UK or the US but km when elsewhere. It's just easier to use the units displayed on the sign posts. I've used the Celsius temperature scale for over 40 years as it was the norm in the engineering environment where I worked.

Geoff

We won (the old timers) as we won't have to go to prison if we sell a POUND of potatoes or drive on the left.
    What is the difference of M to Km, it's only to multiply/divide by 6 or 62% but then, can the the young ones Doh count

Pity us motorists at the pump having to pay over a £1/litre....eerrmmm thats £4 ;70p/ gallon and it could be £5 by the weekend !!!!

As the old Dragon (taffy) says you still need to ride by time and if your not traveling 40 kilo's in the hour, then ride some more for training until you can.

I allways thought in engineering terms that normal room temperature was 68* F and when different the calculations needed for various materials. !!!!!!!
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    '40 kilo's in the hour' :shock: :shock: :D:D
    Still breathing.....
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

I can't imagine how any cyclist could think that the world is flat... :P
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    I went out this morning and it was a balmy 4.8 Réaumur (502.47 Rankine), with the wind blowing at Mach 0.02.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Like Top Bhoy I went through school learning the metric system, and now find myself caught between the two. I'd much prefer to work in KM, but it's a bit of an uphill battle when all signs/talk is miles/mph. Except where it's litres and cm, of course. Generally I've got a bit of dog's dinner of a weights and measures system going on. But then, I imagine anyone who entered school from the mid-seventies onwards is probably the same.
  • Has always been miles for me usually, except have amended bike computer to kms for foreign tours.
    Though since I got a new computer last year with a useful altimeter function, it either worked in km and m ascended or miles and ft ascended. Feet ascended didn't mean much to me, so I swapped it to kms but still converted my rides back to miles when I recorded them.
    That said I had the said computer nicked recently so it's back to miles again.
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    miles here... but miight switch to KM because it gives you a bigger number :lol:
  • Tourist Tony
    Tourist Tony Posts: 8,628
    Miles.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K