Bar Tape - Worthwhile upgrade for Giant SCR?

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I've got a new Giant SCR 1, the bar tape feels a bit thin. Would it make a noticable difference to change it?

Maybe to gel tape?

I've no experience at all of bar tape, so any opinions on the quality of the Giant stuff compared to aftermarket stuff would be great, and a recommendation for bar tape if appropriate.

Cheers.

Comments

• gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i like thicker feeling bar tape too - the best I have found is the cinelli gel tape - it looks like a regular cork bar tape but has a shock-absorbing gel inner and thickens up the bar a bit.

the other option is to look for the specialized bar-phat stuff which are like gel filled pads that you stick to the tops and the drops of the bars and cover with the bar tape of your choice. I have that on both my bikes at the moment - the trek road bike and langster fixed bike too. the trek has the 4.5mm stuff covered in easton cork tape which is a bit too thick to be honest. the langster has the 2.5mm pads with s-works bar tape and is excellent.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Stella Azzura Eleganza, lovely stuff at about 12 quid. Supremely comfortable and a great upgrade.
  • milese
    Thanks for the replies. I think that the easiest option would be for the cinelli gel tape?

Wiggle or CRC dont list the Stella tape, whats so good about it?
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I use specialized phat tape. It is spongy and comfy.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... Bar%20Tape
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    gavintc wrote:

seconded!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • gkerr4
    thats the stuff I was going on about - only available in black now though...
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    I had not realised that it was now only available in black. I have my 2 bikes with red and white - Iooks like I will need to find a suitable alternative.
  • gkerr4
    i bought the bar phat stuff and the cheapest cork tape that Wiggle had - the easton cork tape - and used that wth the bar phat pads - just adds to the cost a bit..
  • milese
    Thanks for the replies.

GavinTC and ant, what thickness do you have? 2.5 or 4.5mm?
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    gavintc wrote:

So do I. fully recomended
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Go with cork tape and you won't regret it. Good stuff and you can get it in a
    variety of colors. No one brand is "better" than the others as far as cork goes.

Dennis Noward
  • hello i have the phat pads on my tourer and they seemed like a great buy to me, came with a roll of the s-works tape, very comfy and when the tape needs replacing the pads are re-usable so can be covered with any tape you want, personally i use cheap tape over the pads unless i want coloured in which case i just buy whatever they have in my lbs, having said that i am very tempted by some leather tape for my fixie project, (over gel pads of course!)

Cf
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Milese wrote:
    Thanks for the replies.

GavinTC and ant, what thickness do you have? 2.5 or 4.5mm?

aha....correction, i use this stuff, the s-wrap.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360009571&N=Specialized%20S-Wrap%20Bar%20Tape
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i'm always changing the tape on my fixed wheel. it gets grubby, or i fancy a new colour, or i don't like the new colour, etc...