kids bike

jimmyp1873
jimmyp1873 Posts: 120
edited January 2008 in MTB buying advice
right folks i know this is a bit early but i might be looking for a bike next year for my boy. last christmas i got him a specialized hardrock sport, maybe not the best but i think £300 is still a lot for a 10yr olds bike. i told him if he sticks at it i would get him a new one next year. the thing is i dont know what to get, he wants to do a bit of everything, hes at me to get him either a spesh stumpy or enduro. now a stinky or an orange 5 has come into it any ideas ???????????
only when you stare death in the face do you feel most alive

Comments

• jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    Why does he want to go full suspension? Unless he's really good or just into downhill/freeride at his age I'd consider keeping him on a hardtail for a little longer.

This will help him get a better technique for when he does jump on a full suspension bike.

Hope are bringing out a kids bike looks amazing but V. expensive.
  • well his mum told him to pick a bike so i think the 2 spesh 1's so he could have the same as me, the orange and the stinky after he sat on them at glentress 1 day,me personally i think they are far too much money for a kid plus they would still be a bit big for him. i think i shall try and talk him into keeping his hardrock for another year
  • after a bit of a rethink here i thought about upgrading his hardrock to a rockhopper, would this be a better choice than going for a full susser? or does anyone know of a better bike for the same kind of money?
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    Two mates of mine are on the Rockhopper Pro' Disc and they love them. The back end is a little unforgiving (as in a hard ride) but that i think is a marmite characteristic,
    I prefer the way steel frames ride.
  • i think norco do some kids bike.. think their over priced though..
    Specialized Big hit (custom build, nearly done!)
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Kona do a Stinky 2-4 and a Stuff 2-4, both with a 24" wheels and downsized for kids.

Offer to meet him part way on the cost then get him doing some odd jobs around the house and maybe for the neighbours (washing cars, sweeping leaves, that sort of thing) and see if you can't get him paid for doing it.

That way at least he'd see that if he wants something big he's going to have to work for it.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • thanks for the replies peeps, i think i will have my work cut out here. 1 last bit of advice though, would i be better sticking to 26" wheels or dropping him down to 24" wheels.
    when i got his bike last year i was advised to go for the big wheels, so i did. it was only after the bike was bought (had a lot of hassle from shop) that other people said i would be better with the smaller wheels as the whole bikes are scaled down a bit so overall fit would maybe be a bit better
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    You're not kidding are you?!?

Questions to ask yourself;

Is your lad likely to stick with the bikes - you know what kids are like for deciding they'll have a go at something, say they're deadly serious about it, and only to give it up at a (not very) later date?

What sort of stature is he? Is he big for his age, about normal or a whippet?

The thing is a 24" wheeled bike will feel like a big bike to him, but you stand a better chance of it fitting him better. If it fits him properly he's more likely to be comfortable and carry on riding as he grows. Trouble is then, when he's 12 or 13, you're going to have to upgrade again.

If you go for the bigger wheeled bike, OK you've got more growing room available, but there's the likelihood of him being uncomfortable, the bike being difficult (or even dangerous) for him to ride and manouver and an increased likelihood of (ahem) injury if he falls off. Which at his stage in life could be disasterous...

Look at it this way. If the bike fits him and he's comfortable riding it he's more likely to stick with it. So you are encouraging him into an activity that's fun, it's good for him, and will increase and develop his self-confidence, co-ordination and fitness. These things can impact on other aspects of his life too, such as his performance at school and interaction with his peers. OK, you may have to upgrade him again in a couple or three years, but to my mind it's money well spent - any time spent riding his bike is time spent away from the TV and away from bad peer influences.

Oh, and girls love scars and the ability to bar-spin... :D
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    You're not kidding are you?!?

no i aint, he is really keen and im just trying to get him in the right direction to be a good all round rider so that he can get the most out of something he enjoys. the reason i asked about wheels is when you see 26" wheels on a 13" frame it does look a bit clumsy. but there again in a years time he will be a bit bigger and probably be a frame size bigger as well, anyway i think ive just answered my own question lol now to find a bike for him then get saving :?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    jimmyp1873 wrote:
    me personally i think they are far too much money for a kid plus they would still be a bit big for him.
    You are alwats going to have the choice of buying a frame that's a bit big, or one that jyst about fits now. However, you also need to consider that even if you do buy a bike that is a bit big, he is still only 10 so will have a lot of growing to do.

Any bike bike bought now will need to be replaced fairly soon, even if it is a little big right now.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs