sportives in the Switzerland-Austria-Germany Alps area

knedlicky
knedlicky Posts: 3,097
For those interested in sportives in the Switzerland-Austria-Germany Alps area, the Chiba-Cup website for 2008 is now up

http://www.radmarathon.com/

Last year I did Berchtesgaden and farther back in time Amade, and next year I hope to do Tirolwest if only for the the serpentine descent from the Bielerhöhe (though I’d actually prefer to do the pass in reverse direction).

Interesting on the website are the 3D animations of the routes (Strecken).

(These aren't the only sportives in the area by any means, but together they form a competition, like the Marmotte is part of the Grand Trophee competition)

Comments

• vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    I've quite fancied doing the Alpenbrevet - 266km and 6,600m of climbing!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I did the Alpenbrevet a few years ago and found it a great event – well organised, super support and service, wonderful route (as consequence, I later went hiking in the area, twice near Disentis, once near Biasca).
    It was just a bit pricey, since only a medal and certificate was given to finishers, no (more valuable/useful) tricot or jersey.

Although it's only about 7-8 years since I took part, the routes then were slightly different to those of the last 4-5 years, e.g. 8 years ago, the organisation hadn’t yet introduced the 260 km/6600 m route. Or for that matter, the short one-pass-30-km route, with return bus transport, which they now have for beginners.
    My route then was 160 km/3200 m - the longest at the time, but not the route with the most climbing (that was 125 km/3600 m).
    The organisers have obviously moved on with the spirit of the times.

My year, the circumstances weren’t ideal - it rained for 12 hours before the start and also for the first 6 hours underway, and the temperatures were only just above freezing at all the pass heights. I’m sure no good times were achieved.
    Fortunately, at some feeding stations, the organisers had the 'nouse' to provide generous portions of a hearty, chunky goulash soup to warm participants. Although such heavy food isn’t normal cyclist fare, I'd say, that day it was just right.

Despite the wet conditions, I later heard that most road cyclists finished within their time limits. I also heard, only 60% of the MTB managed their 100 km / 3000 m within their time limit - but it would be impossible to negatively judge them, given the mud they must have confonted.