Forks

maximilian
maximilian Posts: 68
edited December 2007 in MTB buying advice
Hello!

I've got a Marin North Side Trail 2007 and I want to get some new forks, as the MZ comps are a bit toilet. :?

Looking at the Fox 32 Vanilla fork.

Are there any other similar forks I should check out, looking at around 120mm - 140 travel?

Also might be a silly question, but adding another 20mm to the cockpit wont mess my geometry up will it? I notice the top end Marin Rocky Ridge has 140mm travel and that’s that same frame as mine, but don’t know weather the frame geometry specs might be different? :idea:

Thanks for your help (a relative newbie)
Dreaming of a Flowing, Downhill, Singletrack, Double jumping, Hardtail paradise

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    depends if the frames warrentied or made to take a large travel fork.

Rockshox Pike is a popular fork and gets good reviews...

also MAgura Laurin 130 and the 55 comes in 140...though think the pike and 55 are bolt through so you'd need a new hub
  • the MZ comp fork it comes with is 120mm.

I was going to email Marin and ak them, but cant find an email address for them on their site.

Yeah I have noticed most of the forks are bolt through, slightly annoying dont really want to buy a new wheel :roll:
  • papasmurf.
    I like the all mountains, they're QR and you could probably pick some up cheapish
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    You will deffo notice the extra 20mm in terms of geometry changing but you may or may not like it. I just went from 80mm up to 100mm and although I'm more relaxed and upright in the cockpit the steering is less responsive and feels slower - kind of like I've taken the edge of the bike a bit. That said, I'm happy with the extra travel as I tend to ride trail centres a lot and that extra 20mm is nice to have.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I should add, another geometry effect of putting too big a fork is that you raise the bottom bracket as a result - meaning you'll have more clearance over terrain but you'll have a higher centre of gravity and the bike will feel less stable and balanced.
  • papasmurf.
    something with travel adjust so you do most of your riding at 120 and then only use the extra when needed, wanted etc
  • yeah that would be ideal as I do some cross country, singletrack, even road, but also do a bit of downhill and dirt Jumping.

thanks for the advice thus far :wink:
  • papasmurf.
    Pike u-turn.....plus a nice wheel build on hope pro11 hehe
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I have some 2006 All Mountain 1s (130-150mm) with lockdown, lockup etc which I'd sell for £150 if you were interested. They are QR so no new hub needed and are as plush as Pikes or Foxes (I have Fox 32s and Fox 36s currently).
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • Sounds interesting.

Who make the All Mountains?
  • got it, Marzocchi.
  • are they these ones?

http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/detai ... etto=28062

How much use have they had, did you keep them serviced etc, etc?
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Those are the ones and I haven't kept them serviced because they've only had 12 months use (October 2006 - October 2007).

This is them

1477847768_2e6cdbce1f.jpg

1477849504_a5298df57e.jpg

844915768_7516cc04ba.jpg
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • the new marrozochi bomber forks are getting good reviews and theres another fokr which is alos getting good reviews i cant remember which one it is ill just have a look