Simple fixed?

GaryGkn
GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
edited January 2008 in Road general
http://www.steelwoolbicycles.ca/frames/ ... imited.php

I think these people have missed the point.

What is wrong with horizontal drop outs or track ends?

Eccentric bottom bracket?

Who needs to take this route when you are starting from scratch?

Comments

• belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    Oooh, I like the tweed, though I would rather it were designed for a quil stem ...

Agree that horizontal dropouts are the way forward though...
  • GaryGkn
    Yep thinking about it they could have kept cost down and gone for horizontal drop outs.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Silly. EBBs surely only worth the complexity if running discs?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GaryGkn
    Bikes are meant to be simple but these guys have missed the point adding complexity to a simple concept in order to add some perceived added value. Surely the marketing people do notunderstand the concept of a fixed wheel bike and the beauty of it's simplicity.
  • Dustine
    Dustine Posts: 184
    To be fair, as a fixed commuter who has had a lot of punctures lately, i guess that changing the rear tube is easier with an EBB??? I dont find it tooo much fun trying to set the chain tension in the dark, with a torch held in clenched teeth, and a spanner on the wheel nuts. That said, ive never used an EBB, so have no idea if they are a pain in the ar$e or not.
  • GaryGkn
    Dustine i think you hit the nail on the head. Maybe that is the whole point of this bike. Take a look at the Paul fork ends:

http://www.paulcomp.com/drop.html
  • Dustine
    Dustine Posts: 184
    Now those really ARE the business!!!! I have long wondered why more slot d/o frames dont have something like that. Much more convenient and integrated than chain tensioners (particularly when messing about in the dark/ rain/ sleet/ what-have-you....)
  • GaryGkn
    Yeah simple idea. Pretty sure hubjub ship a frame with a similar design. Just like the old road bike but in reverse.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Those drop outs actually seem a GOOD idea, rather than the all-too-common "clever solution seeking an imaginary problem" school of engineering.
    I'm not sure that adjusting chain tension via an ebb IS any simpler than manually pulling the wheel into position: would not one have to release its own clamping mechanism each time? Can that be done with the chainset in situ?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As said, the EBB is OK if using discs (which this frame hasn't) or a hub gear - horizontal drop-outs are simple, elegant and cheap. The Paul drop-outs are nice, but need maintenance as you don't want to find that you can't slacken your chain to remove your wheels because of a seized adjuster. The hand between the tyre and seattube is the best chain tension - roll the bike forward until the pain just becomes bearable and tighten the nuts with the other hand!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • GaryGkn
    Monty it would seem keeping it simple and not getting side tracked by marketing gimmics seems to be the lesson here. You can't really improve on the simplicity of the original design of a road path machine.