GIANT SCR C4

chas38
chas38 Posts: 65
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Hi

has anyone got, ridden or have any views on a Giant SCR C4 2007 model spec as follows:

PRODUCT MODEL YEAR: 2007
PRODUCT OPTIONS: 43cm, 50cm
Frame: T700 carbon composite, Compact Road Design

Forks: T700 carbon composite, aluminium steerer

Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105

Front Derailleur: Shimano 105

Shifters: Shimano 105 20 speed STI

Chainset: FSA Gossamer Mega EXO 34/50

Bottom Bracket: FSA Mega EXO

Chain: Shimano 105

Freewheel: Shimano 105 12-25

Stem: GIANT Comp aluminium ahead

Handlebars: GIANT Comp aluminium

Front Brake: Dual pivot long reach

Rear Brake: Dual pivot long reach

Brake Levers: Shimano 105 STI

Rims: GIANT IOU 333

Front Hub: GIANT IOU 333

Rear Hub: GIANT IOU 333

Spokes: DT Champion

Tyres: Michelin Speedium 700x25mm

Saddle: GIANT

Seatpost: GIANT carbon composite

have a chance to get one at what I consider a fair price given spec. any thoughts welcomed

Merry Xmas

Comments

• feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Fairly high spec - depends on the price as to whether it is a bargain or not. Before you buy you should try though. If it is an internet purchase you may well effectively have no warranty.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I just bought the SCR 1, which is the same spec (but the SCR 1 has shimano brakes) but without the carbon frame.

I knew nothing about road bikes when I bought it last week and now know a tiny bit more. So I went on the opinions of others (who all were positive) and test rode one and was happy enough.

I bought mail order for a nice 42% discount from ashcycles, who incidenltly were superb. As for the warrenty being worthless, it is valid at any Giant dealer, not just the place of purchase.

I've riden 25 odd miles today and like it, bit of a twinge in my arm, and its a bit sore between my thumb and fore finger, but thats nothing to do with the bike, its just that its my first road bike.

Was nice and comfortable, would have happily stayed on longer, I struggled a bit on one particulary steep hill with only having 20 gears but fought through it. Thats the name of the game!
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Milese wrote:

a bit sore between my thumb and fore finger, but thats nothing to do with the bike, its just that its my first road bike.

Were you wearing padded gloves? You can probably rotate the bars a bit as well to alter the angle of the hoods to change where the pressure is on your hands.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Sorry to steal your thread Chas...

I was wearing MTB mits with no padding there, but then why would they, I assume road specific gloves are padded there?

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a little play.
  • chasm
    chasm Posts: 3
    Hi Chas38, I have recently bought this bike, with almost exactly the same spec except mine has an ultegra rear mech and a SRAM 12-28 cassette.

In my opinion this is an excellent bike for the money. In particular, it is extremely comfortable and an ideal choice for someone who intends to cover longish distances: I do the occasional sportive myself and for those events I suspect this one will make my present road bike redundant.

Giant don't have the cachet of some of the fancier names, but they build an awful lot of frames for other, trendier makes and have been at the front end of carbon fibre technology for a long time. You could spend a lot more money and get an inferior bike.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Milese wrote:
    I As for the warrenty being worthless, it is valid at any Giant dealer, not just the place of purchase.
    !

Hi Milese, didn't say the warranty is worthless,but if you haven't bought from a LBS and don't have a Giant dealer near you any quick chats / inspections / minor work could involve a long car journey or post and packaging effectively making it pretty useless (except for mega problems).
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Hi Chas. I have had the 2008 version for a couple of months. It seems fine to me. I bought it as an upgrade to my SCR2 which I kept for winter & steep hills. It's very light & extremely comfortable. Only problem I've had is with the gears jumping around all over the place, but that's down to poor set up by my LBS, which hopefully they have now fixed. Going out tomorrow for a new years spin.

Happy New Year to all.

Al
  • chas38
    chas38 Posts: 65
    Thanks for everyones input, will let you know if i buy it

Happy New Year to all