£73 to do the Tour of Wessex - why?

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
Entries now open, it seems. It's a great ride but £73?

What do you get for £73? Use of a timing chip, access to food stops (thisyear some of them ran out of food and drink), your name on the web site...

I'll be doing the 3 days but whether or not I pay is another matter.
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• If you're quick, you could get a face full of road spray from the pros..... :wink:
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    vermooten wrote:
    Entries now open, it seems. It's a great ride but £73?

What do you get for £73? Use of a timing chip, access to food stops (thisyear some of them ran out of food and drink), your name on the web site...

I'll be doing the 3 days but whether or not I pay is another matter.

1. Because they can. The rules of supply and demand suggest that £73 is acceptable.
    2. The ratiio of beards to no-beards is reduced.
  • vermooten
    Hmm.. I accept point 2 as valid.

Manchester Wheelers
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I suppose if your doing 3 days that just under £25 for each, about the norm.
  • I suppose if your doing 3 days that just under £25 for each, about the norm.

exactly, so what's the fuss? :wink:
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I suppose if your doing 3 days that just under £25 for each, about the norm.

exactly, so what's the fuss? :wink:

...because it was £55 last year ?

I suspect it is supply-and-demand.

Sportives are popular, some fill-up in hours let alone days, a lot of people doing them have a lot of disposable income.

So they'll charge a price and see what we'll pay :wink:
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I'd rather spend the money shaping a beard.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    And on the same weekend I can ride the Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff sportive in the Ardennes for about 15 Euros, there'll be about 10000 riders from all over Europe, very few beards, 3 well stocked food stations, a really tough, classic courses quiet roads and it'll probably not be raining (unlike this year!).
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    And on the same weekend I can ride the Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff sportive in the Ardennes for about 15 Euros, there'll be about 10000 riders from all over Europe, very few beards, 3 well stocked food stations, a really tough, classic courses quiet roads and it'll probably not be raining (unlike this year!).

Ditto
    Paul
  • Think I'd rather a sore arse for 3 days than 5hrs of torrential rain on the T-B-T like last year — with plenty of riders doing a U turn and giving up — so I've gone for the ToW as it's local and I can return home each night. Mind you it will probably p down for 3 days.

cheers

Dave
    cheers

Dave
  • vermooten
    Well, we're doing the Paris-Roubaix sportive a week or two after Wessex which will satisfy my Euro-lust for a short while (til the Marmotte in July).

Manchester Wheelers
  • pjm-84
    Well, we're doing the Paris-Roubaix sportive a week or two after Wessex
    Phew....

Just had to check the dates and thankfully it's two weeks
    Paul
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    er I've got a beard and have entered the TOW. Should I reconsider?
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    PS on the price. Also entered the Marmotte and Ronde Picardie 2008s . These cost €38 plus extras. Know they are bigger/better (though Ronde is in fact quite easy) but also have 1000s of entrants so you might think could spread costs more.

Dont begrudge the entry fee, especially if it means the events continue and grow (as the TOW is).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I notice it is a charity event - anyone know if all the profit goes to charity or do the organisers make money out of it? I don't necessarily object to either scenario - just interested to see where the money goes - especially whether it subsidises the road race.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    I just entered a 7 day stage race in Italy for the same price.

I think it's a sort of "Glastonbury" effect. The promoters are pricing it up to enhance its status as an IMPORTANT CYCLING EVENT in the UK's burgeoning sportives calendar knowing that there are probably enough people happy to burn £73 on a 3 day audax.
  • vermooten
    What's the event in Italy ricadus?

Manchester Wheelers
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I see what's happening with Sportives as with Triathlon about 15 years ago - a whole lot of people piled-in to try and make some money but found that it takes a lot of effort, little reward and that price is no indication of quality. If triathlon's a predictor of the future, where a 1-hour race event can cost as much as £40-50, then it doesn't look too good for events with small fields making entries increasingly expensive. Sadly, what you can't change for a UK event is the attitude of some car drivers on the course and the unpredictable weather.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Riding a sportive feels like taking part in an event, rather than just going out for a bike ride. £25 seems like a reasonable price for a full day out when you compare it with the entry fee for a one-hour cyclocross race (£11 here in the south-west).
  • Spare Tyre wrote:
    Riding a sportive feels like taking part in an event, rather than just going out for a bike ride. £25 seems like a reasonable price for a full day out when you compare it with the entry fee for a one-hour cyclocross race (£11 here in the south-west).
    I agree. When you think about how much it costs to go watch a film, or a football match, then the cost of a sportive seems very reasonable in terms of hours of entertainment.
  • vermooten
    Can't remember the last time I saw a film that lasted 7 hours.

Manchester Wheelers
  • pjm-84
    £8 in the South.

In term of pain though 1hr riding a cross race hurts far more then a UK sportive.
    Paul
  • vermooten wrote:
    Can't remember the last time I saw a film that lasted 7 hours.

:?:

Cost of ticket in my local cinema: £8:40
    Duration of average film: 2 hours
    Cost per hour: £4:20

Cost of one day of 3 day ToW sportive: just over £24
    Duration of ride for average sportive cyclist: £6
    Cost per hour: knock yourself out, you do the maths!

Do the maths for a premiership game or even a Blue Square Premier game, and the sportive looks even better value.
  • vermooten
    Cost of making a film: £millions

Cost of riding on the roads of Dorset and Somerset: £0.00.

Manchester Wheelers
  • vermooten wrote:
    Cost of making a film: £millions

Cost of riding on the roads of Dorset and Somerset: £0.00.

That suggests that organizing a sportive costs nothing. Either that or you are suggesting that you ride the route as an unorganized event (e.g. club run)..?? Surely neither answer the OP.
  • ricadus
    vermooten wrote:

Verm - it's a week of stages, including solo and team TTs, book-ended by a couple of 150 km granfondos.

http://www.peteranne.it/index_Page491.htm

It's more fun than a spring training camp - though in fact some of the Italians (e.g. Negrini and his Salieri team) use it as such.

See you on the beach maybe.
  • vermooten
    Looks great, thanks for the linky ricadus!

Manchester Wheelers
  • HarryDd
    HarryDd Posts: 21
    The Russian version of War & Peace lasts 7 hours. Made in the 70's it cost the equivilant of $100million. Probably the most expensive film ever made - in real terms.

Very impressive film. When the book has 20,000 troops coming over the hill then 20,000 come over the hill.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    ricadus wrote:
    vermooten wrote:

Verm - it's a week of stages, including solo and team TTs, book-ended by a couple of 150 km granfondos.

http://www.peteranne.it/index_Page491.htm

It's more fun than a spring training camp - though in fact some of the Italians (e.g. Negrini and his Salieri team) use it as such.

See you on the beach maybe.

Ricadus, that looks fantastic. I'm very envious. I like the look of it so much I'm going to do it in 2009.

Have you done it before?
  • ricadus
    This year will be my 3rd time. It has been on different parts of the island each time. The costa Smerelda granfondo that they are going to incorporate as one of the stages is also a different route/dirction to past years, though it apparently retains a crazy 200 metre section of off-road along the back of a beach!