bad crash today

john74
john74 Posts: 254
edited December 2007 in MTB general
did a bunny hop over a root, when i landed the front wheel turned 90 degrees and threw me off the bike sideways landed on my back and my helmet dug into the dirt and smashed into a few pieces so it was a 3 hour wait in casualty with x rays an stuff.
anyway off the bike for 2 weeks with a badly bruised back and mild whiplash. :roll:
2010 Forme Reve
2010 Giant Talon 1

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Thank god for your helmet, sounds like despite the bruising you've come out of it OK (well enogh to type anyway), but it does sound nasty.

At least you can add the experience to your list of heroic MTB exploits (every rider should have one).

Hope you're back on the bike soon.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    Glad your alright mate, always good to have a few good crash stories!
  • unlucky, oh well, gives u more time to eat mince pies! haha :D get well soon!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    ohh, aren't you glad you wore a lid? I smashed my helmet (now, now :lol: ) unfortunately it wasn't just that that broke. I keep the helmet as a reminder to make sure I always wear one. Its also been used to convert non helmet wearers.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • John, good to hear you only walked away with bruises, that could have been so much worse!.

Ratty, funny you should say that. As a teen, my parents bought me a Carrera pishpot helmet. Was a poly shell, anyway, 1 day I was out in the snow doing my paper round, the bike went from under me. I fell off sideways and my head smashed into the edge of the curb. To this day I say the helmet saved my life. All the kids at school took the urine mercilessly for me wearing it (it was the early 90's), strange how over time opinions change.
  • Good job you had your lid on mate :) Hoe pya feelnig better soon!
    I go mad at one of my mates as he never wears a helmet! He did the Marin trail without one the f'ing tool! I told him one day he will come a cropper (not the Roy or Hayley variety :lol: )
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    glad to hear you are ok, crashing is never fun. How did your bike fair after the crash?
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Glad you're ok mate, hows the bike?
    Hope you're on the mend soon, enjoy christmas. Gives you an excuse to have everyone wait on you hand and foot :wink:
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • ratty2k
    monkeysm8 wrote:
    Good job you had your lid on mate :) Hoe pya feelnig better soon!
    I go mad at one of my mates as he never wears a helmet! He did the Marin trail without one the f'ing tool! I told him one day he will come a cropper (not the Roy or Hayley variety :lol: )

Some nasty hard rocks to fall on there [Marin] as well! Definately not a place to ride without a lid, mind you nowhere is!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/72/18534 ... baeb_o.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/60/18534 ... 4916_o.jpg
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/76/18534 ... 719b_o.jpg

3 rather poor quality pics of my helmet after my big crash,
    and this showing the bruising
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/22810 ... 38bf_b.jpg
    My Pics !

• Ratty - That looks harsh my friend, I bet it was sore for a few days!
  • ratty2k
    Was sore for months!! Total was 3 broken ribs, 1 broken collar bone- serious bruising and a very sore neck. Its taken nearly 18 months to get some confidence back............
    My Pics !

• john74
    john74 Posts: 254
    cant move today im all stiff :shock: no not that part. i was worried about the bike cos its a carbon xtc and i had visions of a snapped frame but just a nasty scuff on the top tube. just another battle scar, i prefer a bike to look a bit beaten up not showroom shiny.
    2010 Forme Reve
    2010 Giant Talon 1
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    That a bad crash?! Following someone going very fast down Cwmcarn DH, before i know it we get to the road drop, the sleeper one. go down it and try and folow his line over to the left, doesn't work so i go for my usual line through a bit of the grass on the right to keep my speed, maybe even increase, and what do you know, theres a bloody fence there! i get on the brakes as softly as i can 'cos its a steep off camber and once i press my back brake, shoosh. my back end comes straight around, forks hit downtube, i get chucked off bike and hurled 20 yds away. i have to go down the rest of the course with my handlebars 90 degrees to the wheel, and not to mention i was on the flor for about 10 mins in pain. twp blokes were at the start of the last bit of the XC saying you alright mate, bad crash there, i was thinking no s**t mate. the day in all was brilliant though.
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"
  • It's been a while since I've had a bad tumble (10 years+) but since I became a father my deathdefying stupidity suddenly became stupid looking and I eased back on the speed a little.

Oh for the heady days of youth again when I was indestructable, 10 yard horizontal jump sans bike were a speciality in the day and that was without a helmet as well.

I was suicidal when I look back on my youth but I'm sure when my girls get to a decent biking age I'll be encouraging them to test their limits.
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    fat burt dont worry Im a father of four. once they start irritating the living excrement out of you the speed and silliness will return!
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.