Quick question on full face helmets and Northshore

Celtic Dragon
Celtic Dragon Posts: 57
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
My local woods have a few areas that have a rough Northshore tracks in (elevated boardwalks etc).

As I shoot on the land the landowners don't mind me riding over these. Now these would be ideal to learn bike control on as their only about 3 - 5 feet off the ground so not that far to fall. Personal experiance tells me that my teeth and jaws are going to take a bashing when I do fall (always end up face planting).

Are there any FF helmets out there suitable for XC rding as I'll have about 5 miles to ride to get to the site or end up carting 2 helmets with me on a ride.

Also are FF's a good idea for Northshore riding?

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    Are there any FF helmets out there suitable for XC rding as I'll have about 5 miles to ride to get to the site or end up carting 2 helmets with me on a ride.

Not something I'd want to do, but seen enough people at some trail centres riding them with full facers..maybe look at something like the met parachute as a compromise especially if you're not doing big drops or speed
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    giro used to do a helmet with a full face bolt on piece. dont know if it was any good or if they even still do it.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • nikrad
    nikrad Posts: 28
    There are a few options. Specialized do a helmet called deviant, which is full faced but with more ventilation and better visibility, try evans for that one as they have it quite cheap .
    Bell also do a similar helmet which is a little cheaper than the specialized one ,
  • my choice would be the deviant. there is the met parachute but i'd get the deviant
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    I would definitely recommend a full face helmet for North Shore riding - this afternoon i attended an accident where the rider fell forward onto a north shore ladder and ended up with a nasty facial injury which required paramedic removal

the Specialized Deviant is really in a class of its own with regard to ventilation and the carbon fibre version is one of the lightest full faces on the market

alot of rider use something like a Da Kine Apex pack to carry their full-face to the trails, and then use the full-face whilst riding the trails themselves (you can wear a potty whilst on the road and then carry that in the backpack whilst using the FF)
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com