Your WORST purchase

magicroundabout
magicroundabout Posts: 50
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
There's lots of recommendations for cycling kit on here. Partly out of fun and partly out of curiosity I want to know what to avoid...what's the worst piece of cycling kit/gear/clothing you've purchased?

Comments

• That'd have to be the Altura Night Vision jacket I had briefly... Some people seem to love them but mine wasn't very waterproof (kept the water out for about twenty minutes of a thirty minute commute), wasn't very breathable (t-shirt was wet even when it wasn't raining) and was badly made - the zip broke after a few weeks of use. Fortunately the zip gave me an excuse to return it!

It's since been replaced with an Endura eVent jacket which has none of the above problems, thank the gods!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Anything made to Italian sizing. Now I'm not that big of a guy. 6-0 and 190. I normally
    take a large or XL jersey(American sizing?). So how come I need a 3XL if it's from
    Italy???? Makes me wonder just now big, or should I say small, an Italian who wears
    a medium would be.

DEnnis Noward
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Turbo trainer.

Used for 5mins before I overheated, and started to get worried about the noise it was creating.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    vittorio rubino tyres, 1 wet corner and i'm on my ass. cut easy too. back on the hardcases now, much better
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Going back to the mid 1980s i bought a frame that was featured on tomorrows world, this frame was made of magnesium, unbreakeable, you could ride an American station wagon over it you just could not break it The frame was a Kirk precision limited edition does anyone remember them ? Well anyway can you guess what happened to my frame, it broke Greetings one very pissed off Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    Three s/s shirts I got in L before I realised that in cycling sizing I'm an XL

Then there's the XL jacket I bought from ebay that I could camp in... the list keeps growing as I search for online bargains

Merry Xmas
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    hutchinson pro-race equivalent of michelin, with kevlar bead, folding tyre, about £28 EACH.

took ages to get the fukker on. rode it for about 100 miles, felt awesome, light as a feather, fast, no roll resistance.

then i think i rode over a stray rizla paper and it literally slices the sidewall in two.

back to the gator skins for me.
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    ademort wrote:
    The frame was a Kirk precision limited edition does anyone remember them ?

Yeah I've still got mine

DSC_0505.jpg
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi FIZz, My god do you still use it or is that an old photo. My frame broke half way down the drive side chainstay, so that was it for me.How does it compare to a carbon or do you not have a carbon, its a real museum piece now so look after it, and original colour too. Great Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    I was using up til January this year, but not everyday just now and again. If you look closely at the shifter, you'll notice the front mech shifter is spun right round on its mount which isnt attatched to the frame anymore. Hence why I've retired it.

I've replaced with a half carbon half aluminium Van Nicholas and the ride is very different the Kirk was a rough old ride, you feel every pot hole, but my new bike is gives a much much smoother ride and the frames more responsive to.

I'm toying with keeping it or ebaying it and gettnig rid, I can't brig myself to get rid of it though.
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Altura phase 4 jacket. I bought it in the sale 5 years ago for £100 and have worn it since about 3 times. Its is too warm and does not breathe despite what it claims and compared to the streamlined jerseys/jackets that we have now it is ugly.
    Brian B.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    any time some tries to reinvent the diamond frame i kind of laugh.

softride, flying gate, that abomination above, other mishaps...

answers to a question that doesn't need to be asked...
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Sora gear/brake levers. I have never had such rubish brakes.
    I'm a fan of Altura night Vision (wind stopper) jackets :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    A saddle whose Ebay picture looked wide-ish in terms of sit-bone width - turned out to be alarmingly narrow.
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    I have 2 worst purchases.

The first one is a set of Halfords lights - of which the back light happened to have a manufacturing hole on top of it.

It rained, and it died. What a rediculous idea putting a hole in a light so that water can get straight in???

My second one - althrough some people like them would be slime tubes.

All I did with them was try to mask the problem I had. It put on weight, and made making successful puncture repairs very hard as the slime kept killing patches. Since then I have discovered tyre pressure and keep it to the RIGHT PSI.

Works much better than slime
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Mine was also a saddle. Bought it on a whim on the Friday because it looked bling and used it for the first time on the Sunday when a group of us did a 126 mile ride (how clever was that). Blister the size of an egg on my backside which burst and then bled, the final 30 miles was like sitting on a porcupine. I had to unstick my shorts in the shower before I could peel them off.
  • My worst purchase was a puncture outfit. I took it back to the shop and swapped it for a puncture repair outfit - That was much better.

I also bought shampoo for greasy hair. Again exchanged it for a shampoo for shiny & managable hair the next day.
  • Michelin Lithion tyres......what a load of rubbish. I bought a pair on ebay, fitted them went out for a ride and slid about all over the place, no grip whatsover, eventually I had a spill and they came off and went in the bin as soon as I got home.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Assos Roubaix leg warmers - just don't stay up. Bloody rubbish in fact.
  • Sigma Sport Cube Rear Light. No flashing mode. Needs obscure batteries (not included) run time approx 3 hours - died on the foggy club run yesterday.
  • While Im on a roll - Decathlon gloves - the stitching falls apart when you take them off.... Careful trying them on in store if you dont want to pay for damaging them!
  • Sigma wireless computer - not sure of the model. Recommended by C+ and absolutely crap. I now use a Cateye Enduro 8 totally reliable and all the functions you need.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid :P
  • Sigma wireless computer - not sure of the model. Recommended by C+ and absolutely crap. I now use a Cateye Enduro 8 totally reliable and all the functions you need.

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid :P

Yep i had a BC1200 - bought the wireless "upgrade" kit... back on the wired version now....
  • it's a toss-up between....

DHB bib short which keeps coming off my shoulders.

Altura jacket which the zip went just outside of the warrantee period

A Dawes Giro flatbar road bike
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    I purchased a wind up front light from Wiggle. It's never been on the bike as the mounting strap was complete crap that broke as I was trying to see how it worked. Makes a good torch though. :lol:
    Justice for the 96
  • J2R2
    J2R2 Posts: 850
    My worst purchase was my DeRosa Tango, which I bought when I started getting seriously into cycling.

It is a beautiful machine :D and lovely to ride, and I wouldn't want to part with it :cry: but unfortunately it doesn't really suit the kind of riding I do.

My original aim was to get into road racing - however I quickly found that I didn't really like bunch riding and I had no acceleration. I got into time trialling instead. I've got a TT bike but it's a notably lower spec than the DeRosa - during the summer I train on a bike that's worth more than the one I race on :shock:
    Camapgnolo Record 10mspped groupset, 2000. Never indexed properly, crankset not finished off properly (no polishing on the back of the cranks) and when I sold it I had to throw the chain away because "they are dangerous and snap frequently". Supposedly that's all sorted now but I still think the mighty C use us as guinea pigs (see the 1st generation of carbon crank sets for proof of this).
  • simonali
    simonali Posts: 1,730
    Remember before lightweight butyl tubes there were latex ones?

Them!

Waste of money. They were 3 times the price, only lasted 5 minutes and weren't repairable.

Also bought some baggy shorts which were alright on in the shop, but chafed like sandpaper when on the bike. Only ever wore them once or twice before resorting to lycra plus normal shorts over the top. Can't remember the make, but possibly Altura, who've been mentioned a few times already.

Another one is every pair of gloves I own. No gloves seem to keep my fingers warm. I think there must be something wrong with my circulation?!
    <font>I sig you not</font>
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    Remember before lightweight butyl tubes there were latex ones?

Them!

I forgot about the latex innertubes i purchased.

I got the first one in, pumped it up to 100 PSI.

It blew up the instant I released the pump from the valve.

THe second one was placed in, toko the valve off and went down garden. Get half way back up and I hear a large bang.

Cant remember how the third one went, but i contacted the people i bought it from and they sent me some decent replacement non-latex innertubes free of charge.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    pliptrot wrote:
    Supposedly that's all sorted now but I still think the mighty C use us as guinea pigs (see the 1st generation of carbon crank sets for proof of this).

Hang on! When was the first generation of carbon cranksets out? I just bought a 2004 compact carbon record crankset. Is that first generation?