New bike care advice

Bassjunkieuk
Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

I managed to bag myself a rather nice GIant SCR 3.0 2007 for an incredible price from www.ashcycles.com. It got delivered yesterday and I was finally allowed to collect my lovely birthday present from my parents this evening!

I have got the bike assembled and already took it for a short(ish) test ride. What I just wanted to ask though it whats the best thing to use for lubricating the chain & gears? From what I can tell, and feel, it doesn't seem like it's been lubed - at least I'm not getting any oil or residue on my hands when I touch the chain and sprockets at the rear! I found a bottle of cycle oil under the stairs when cleaning up earlier and wasn't sure it this was the best thing for a new/clean drive train?

This is my first decent brand new bike so I'm gonna be treating it well and hope to pick up some maintenance books to help with caring for and repairing it!
Who's the daddy?
Twitter, Videos & Blog
Player of THE GAME
Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

Comments

• Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I clean mine with Muck Off and a brush, then wipe with a rag, spray with GT85 and then apply Finish Line wet lube. I do this about once a week. In summer I use dry lube and only do it every 2-3 weeks.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    my giant scr came with the chain lubricated I thought the chain itself gets lubricated after its made not after its put onthe bike, The initial lube though is a dry type more solid lube and I think quite clear in colour so wont leave stains around the place.

Found this on sheldon browns site take a look at "factory lube"

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    Thats an extreemly good price :shock: :D

I though I did well to get mine for £345.00........................

Mine came with a very sticky lube on. I cleaned it off with WD40 and then applied some White Lightning wet ride to it.

I lube it and wipe it (its important to keep wiping the chain so it doesn't attract gunk apparently) every week or so and its done over 500miles now with no visible signs of wear.

HTH

Chris :)

Edit: Enjoy your new bike 8)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • Thank you for all your advice! I'll be popping into my LBS when I get a free moment now :-)

In response to Panter I was also quite surprised to get it for such a low price, when I got it was actually £10 cheaper then currently listed and seemed to go up the evening after my dad ordered it! It was also one of the few places that had the medium in stock :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5