Cutting up at roundabouts

cntl
cntl Posts: 290
edited January 2008 in Commuting chat
Had four of these today, despite indicating clearly. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7flKtGiSgY

Video quality not that great as it was very dark (darker than it seems from the video!)

PS. Haven't figured out yet how to make the youtube files have sound under Vista, as Media Maker doesn's support the ATC2K audio codec

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    The lesser crested pilchard filmed in the wild, well done. Although not a rare sight and not a spectacular example its still always good to catch them on film in their natural habitat.

Ps yep the guys driving like a prat, precisely the sort of incident Its handy to have a camera for.
  • The phenomonon (sp) known as a SMIDSY(sorry mate i didn't see you) well known in Motorcycling circles......basically means " i am a myopic 2hat unfit to drive a shopping trolly let alone a metal masher". :lol:
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    what a plonker, that's the kind of thing that p155e5 me off - I can feel myself getting angry ust watching your clip!!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    cntl... :roll: ...what you have failed to realise is that you are on a bike, and therefore you just have to stop or get out of the way...anyway you shouldn't be on the road, you don't pay road tax...now get outta the way I'm late for work... :x :x
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    cntl wrote:
    Had four of these today, despite indicating clearly

And the worse thing is that if you're indicating clearly in the often vain attempt that some nut will see where you intended to go and not pull out into your path, if they do you've only got one hand on the bars.

At that roundabout I probably will have made a very large movement and POINTED down the road I wanted to go down, and made sure the driver pulling up saw me do it.

A bit unconvential and probably "illiegal" as a signal, but I find pointing where you are going often helps.
  • While there is a lot of SMIDSYs that go on, I also think that people are massively unaware of how fast bikes actually travel.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • sbullett
    sbullett Posts: 139
    misterben wrote:
    While there is a lot of SMIDSYs that go on, I also think that people are massively unaware of how fast bikes actually travel.

I agree, this is the root cause of practically every near miss I've had on my commute, drivers pulling out of side junctions just not anticipating how fast I'm travelling - a bicycle doing 20mph on the flat / 30mph downhill - impossible!!!!
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    misterben wrote:
    While there is a lot of SMIDSYs that go on, I also think that people are massively unaware of how fast bikes actually travel.

Yep had it this morning, taxi driver pulled out in front of me from a side road so I had to slam on my brakes, he then held me up for 200m before turning off the road again. So he risked causing an accident to get out in front of a faster vehicle (although he clearly saw a bicycle and thought 5mph) so he could turn off the road in front of them instead of waiting a second and driving at their own pace behind not holding anyone up etc etc.

Not a major incident, I wasnt going hell for leather and I had the brakes covered just in case. But still a muttered "pillock" moment.
  • Yantmk
    Yantmk Posts: 12
    misterben wrote:

That looked like a prime example, and standard car driving practice, unfortunitly.
  • I've had that a few times, on one occasiona I was so pisse doff with it I gave the car a good kick.
  • I've had plenty of experience of drivers just not noticing me on roundabouts, I even had one on the way in this morning! I was approaching a small mini roundabout on a back road leading to Denmark Hill and the driver at the next exit round just went straight on in front of me! She didn't even look like she intended to stop as she hadn't even slowed down! to top it off I'm wearing a high vis vest and it was about 8:20 so it was light out!

I also have a rather busy mini roundabout near where I live (it's at a T Junction, that joins 2 busy roads) that I sometimes have to make a right turn on and I've been cut up or had a close miss many times on there to, and not just on my bike! Even in cars people still have problems with the give way to your right rule! There was a smash the other week just after I'd crossed with the wife and kids after school as one driver had stopped to let a family over the zebra and the person behind came speeding round and hadn't realized they'd stopped until they smashed into the other car! Luckily we where off the crossing at this point but only missed it by about a minute or so as we heard the smash!

The odd thing is I tend to find it's the smaller roundabouts that cause the problems, I feel slightly safer doing the 2 big roundabouts at Elephant and Castle then I do the smaller one near me :-S
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • phil_ss1
    phil_ss1 Posts: 194
    I have a problem with this mini-roundabout issue not only on the road but also on my company's large site! - but it's more difficult to call you colleagues "W@&^%#" etc...

As soon as the tartlets get in their cars from the office they think they can use their mobiles to the main gate and disregard the highway code :?

Replace drivers airbags with a big pointy stick and then they may think about their actions a bit more.

I think the police have a lot to answer for (not the individual coppers who I have respect for) but the police in general. They just don't want to uphold the law any more.

I see one or two (sometimes even 3 or 4!) drivers regularly jump the red lights near my house, it's virtually every change of lights when busy. :evil: The local bobbies are not interested, even with video evidence! :twisted: Apparently I may have "doctored the tape in some way"!!!

Phil
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    bloody infuriating, particularly as your road position looked text book to me
    At that roundabout I probably will have made a very large movement and POINTED down the road I wanted to go down, and made sure the driver pulling up saw me do it.

I do this sometimes but mainly when I'm going straight on. Might have helped here but on a tight roundabout like that I wouldn't have been keen to have just one hand on the bars in case he did pull out...