One day on tour.....

jibi
jibi Posts: 857
edited December 2007 in Tour & expedition
How many different emotions/experiences can one go through in one day on tour?
Dec 16th 2007

Woke up on a camp site in Roseberry , Tasmania and Henry, an Israeli motorcycle tourer made breakfast, omllette and vegies with left over pasta.

In the town a reporter from the local rag caught up with me and interviewed me in the main street, many photos taken static and riding off.

On one huge hill I was nearly hit by a bus as he tried to overtake : on the crest of the hill!! I was so tired from the climb I could only just manage to avoid him, nearly cooked it in the gravel edges.
The 5 mile downhill through a rainforest to a cafe, where everyone come to chat about the bike and trailer, always the same questions, where from, where too, how many miles a day, etc.

On a quiet section yobs in a car come past, one hanging out of the window trying to push over the edge, those in the back spitting and hurling abuse.
In the next town they come past me as I eat lunch again hurling abuse, then they come again, with another car loaded up with yobs.
I move to the supermarket and while I am sitting outside, they all come back again. the next town is 2 hours away and the roads are very quiet, so I worry if they will come.

On the way to the next town I am very apprehensive but they do not follow and all is OK. but I am emotionally drained.

Then I get a sms from the reporter saying the mayor of the West Coast of Tasmania wants me to be his guest. He is at a council meeting but will be home about 8 pm. so I go into the park BRBQ area to make evening meal. good thing about Australia is the free BRBies everywhere, some electric and some gas.
A bunch of ladies are having a Xmas meal ,tree, decorations, tablecloth etc; and as I get out my food they bring me sausages, kebabs,coleslaw, beetroot, bread, cakes, and a glass of wine, I even got a cracker to pull.

When I turned up at the mayor's house his son had arrived and offered me a beer and a shower, even though he knew nothing about the invite.
Then Mayor Darrel Gerrity and his wife Robin arrived, and the whiskey and beer flowed for a couple of hours.

What a day!!

george

Comments

• jibi wrote:
    How many different emotions/experiences can one go through in one day on tour?
    Dec 16th 2007

Woke up on a camp site in Roseberry , Tasmania and Henry, an Israeli motorcycle tourer made breakfast, omllette and vegies with left over pasta.

In the town a reporter from the local rag caught up with me and interviewed me in the main street, many photos taken static and riding off.

On one huge hill I was nearly hit by a bus as he tried to overtake : on the crest of the hill!! I was so tired from the climb I could only just manage to avoid him, nearly cooked it in the gravel edges.
    The 5 mile downhill through a rainforest to a cafe, where everyone come to chat about the bike and trailer, always the same questions, where from, where too, how many miles a day, etc.

On a quiet section yobs in a car come past, one hanging out of the window trying to push over the edge, those in the back spitting and hurling abuse.
    In the next town they come past me as I eat lunch again hurling abuse, then they come again, with another car loaded up with yobs.
    I move to the supermarket and while I am sitting outside, they all come back again. the next town is 2 hours away and the roads are very quiet, so I worry if they will come.

On the way to the next town I am very apprehensive but they do not follow and all is OK. but I am emotionally drained.

Then I get a sms from the reporter saying the mayor of the West Coast of Tasmania wants me to be his guest. He is at a council meeting but will be home about 8 pm. so I go into the park BRBQ area to make evening meal. good thing about Australia is the free BRBies everywhere, some electric and some gas.
    A bunch of ladies are having a Xmas meal ,tree, decorations, tablecloth etc; and as I get out my food they bring me sausages, kebabs,coleslaw, beetroot, bread, cakes, and a glass of wine, I even got a cracker to pull.

When I turned up at the mayor's house his son had arrived and offered me a beer and a shower, even though he knew nothing about the invite.
    Then Mayor Darrel Gerrity and his wife Robin arrived, and the whiskey and beer flowed for a couple of hours.

What a day!!

george

I was recently at Roseberry in Tasmania on business. I was there in winter and the roads are really icy at that time of year. It is beautiful though.

Sadly, Australia has more than its fare share of yobs. They usually dirve older, bigger cars and are poorly skilled at manouevering them campared to their European counterparts. They are usually half pissed and don't seem to care whether they run you off the road or not. I have concluded that cycle-touring on Australian country roads is more dangerous than one imagines. Another reason why I am returning to Europe for a tour next year.

Good luck and stay safe - the average Aussie is woefully inadequate in terms of driving skills.
    BTP,

Perth, WA
  • Hey Jibi, what a day, I'm Kn@k3r3d just reading 'bout it! The roads around the WC of Tassie are a force to be rekoned with. There is some amazing scenery round that way, some friend & I did the Wildside (MTB) ride few years ago, what a blast.

b_t_p is trying to keep you on your guard I think, but sadly he is right, the average australian bogan male is an unfortunate fact. They have this strange way of communcating with cyclists which sounds like BLARGARGH or something in that vein. That is being sociable, I was returning (almost home) from an Albany - Perth ride a couple of years ago & was "egged" about 15 klms from home! The snakes/spiders/scorpians etc are easy to deal with, you don't hurt them, they don't hurt you (with in reason), the aabm is a different animal altogether.

But that's being negative! Glad you met the rest of Australia, the average friendly type, who will talk to you about anything & share a beer with you at the drop of a hat (or in this case a helmet)

Keep up the good work
    gb
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    G'Day lads

Everyday has been full here on Tas, the hills here are a bit special, and frequent!!

But the scenery and walks are great. Apart from those bogans(chavs) the people has been very welcoming, and friendly.

Tailwinds

george
  • I often respond aggressivley to car driving yobs but it dosn't sound like good advice in the circumstances that you describe. No wonder you were as emotionaly tired as you were physically. It is reassuring however to hear that the the mindless morons do not account for the entire Austrlian population and that you are also attracting the better side of the human spirit asdisplayed by the hospitality and friendliness that you have experienced. Long may it continue. Have a great trip.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad