waist bags

ThatGuyOnABike
ThatGuyOnABike Posts: 198
edited January 2008 in Road beginners
waist or bumbags as they are known in UK and i think america. anyone use them while cycling? are they any good? i am going touring and want a place to put my wallet, phone etc. i don't much like cycling with things in my pockets. it just makes chaffing (i hope that is the right word) worse. i mean trousers/shorts rubbing agianst thigh and hurting. can anybody reccomend any? i was looking at this:
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product-Sto ... -13940.htm
it is cheap (main reason) and spacious so i may be able to stuff my light rain jactet in along with phone, wallet and whatever else. obviously i won't load it too much and keep it light. it just seems practical. i have used one i got free from somwhere and do not mind it but it is more a pouch on a strap then a bag so does anyone have any advice or recommendation or completely disagree with the idea of bumbags while cycling? this forum is international so i hope the term bumbag is understood and the readers from abroad are mature enough to handle the word bum!
In the valley of high oil prices the cyclist is king!

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Fanny pack in the US, I believe - a fantastic nane IMHO!!!

I use a Berghaus GR bum bag or a Lowe Alpine Mesa bag while touring. In use they are completely unnoticeable, you don't feel like you are wearing it. You can strap additional items on the outside (like a jacket). The bottle holders on the Berghaus seemed like a good idea but one in each bottle cage is sufficient, though they do come into their own while walking. The only downside is the adjustment straps on the sides flap about unless tucked in, but that is probably common to a lot of bum bags. On the whole, I reckon they are a very good alternative to a bar bag, and you have your essentials to hand when you get off the bike and pop in a shop.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    On rides where I need to carry more than normal pockets will hold(week long tours and
    the like) I pull the water bladder out of a "Camelback" and stuff it full. Works great.

Dennis Noward
  • hmmm... buy a camelback (expensive if quality) just to empty it of its main feature and put a few small items in side. sounds great! (sarcastic)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    hmmm... buy a camelback (expensive if quality) just to empty it of its main feature and put a few small items in side. sounds great! (sarcastic)

You're right. I lucked out and got a smaller one on sale for about half price. Works
    ok for me.

Dennis Noward
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi i,ve got a waist bag and find it very handy for longer rides,wallet,I.D. mobile,etc all neatly tucked away. It beats having all your back pockets full and theers less chance of losing something. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • so no problems with sweat or discomfort? i'm preety sold to the idea.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Look for ones with compression straps. Not all do. This enables you to compress it down to the size of the contents and prevents it from moving around. I think the 3 above do.

Might be worth checking Sports World / Soccer Scene, they did have the Karrimor stock when they went under and had their Raidlight for about £7.

If you really want lightweight and minimillist then, Pete Bland does one of the original and best - PB Bumbag.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Never have any problems with sweat, however i wear my bumbag back to front, with the zip on my back.I find it more comfy that way round, if i stop and walk a distance, then i turn it round so the zip is at the front and you have easy access to your wallet,keys e.t.c.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I used one for off road, not needed one on the roadie.

I find a bum bag moves around too much and when I do any more long rides I'm going to get a Camelbak and put any extras in that.

Just my own opinion,
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I have a couple I got from Aldi (£4 each!) and swear by them. They are supposedly cycle-specific and are covered in reflective material. Two large main pockets, two smaller ones and an elasticated middle bit for water bottles (but I also use it for bananas, gloves, etc)

On club runs I carry my mini repair kit, mobile, snacks, keys and cards - everything I need. At cafe stops (or any other stop) I don't have to fiddle about with a wedge pack, or leave it on the bike and unattended my mistake.

When touring I have the repair kit in my rack bag, and the extra room is taken up by more snacks! I also use my mobile as an mp3 player whilst in the bag and this works well.

For me it's a lot more comfortable than carrying stuff in my jersey. Things don't jiggle around, and by pulling the pockets round to the front I can access everything very easily whilst on the move. When adjusted correctly it stays put and after a few minutes I'm completely unaware that I have it on.

Give it a try!

a serious case of small cogs
  • cheers all, i'll go for it.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    bryanm wrote:
    Look for ones with compression straps. Not all do. This enables you to compress it down to the size of the contents and prevents it from moving around. I think the 3 above do.

Might be worth checking Sports World / Soccer Scene, they did have the Karrimor stock when they went under and had their Raidlight for about £7.

If you really want lightweight and minimillist then, Pete Bland does one of the original and best - PB Bumbag.

I bought one for £6 or £7 from sports world (with a bit of padding at the back to leave an air gap between it and your back) and with a water bottle attached. TBH though the few times i used it i did not find it that comfortable and now use a lightweight bag with strings that can take far more. Sports World also sell these starting at £2.99 plus they fold away to virtually nothing.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    feel wrote:

I bought one for £6 or £7 from sports world (with a bit of padding at the back to leave an air gap between it and your back) and with a water bottle attached. TBH though the few times i used it i did not find it that comfortable and now use a lightweight bag with strings that can take far more. Sports World also sell these starting at £2.99 plus they fold away to virtually nothing.
    I think comfort may relate to the quality of the design, there are plenty of good bags around £20.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Bumbags are a great idea if you're trying to get back into 1988...
  • I use a waist bag have it placed to the left hand side but find it is rubbing away at my shorts/trousers and I think I will eventually get a hole there :cry:
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    I got one as a chrissy present. I actually don't think it is a bumbag as it is cycling specific with about three pockets plus water bottle pouch. It really only works well on your lower back as it also has a sweat reduction thingy on it. Don't know it is there when attached and I just loop it over my shoulder when off the bike. used on on all day rides here and in majorca in 30 degree heat. Works realy well. Think it was about £13 off e-bay.

Jim
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I've just purchased a Deuter Nordic 300 Waist Bag from w*iggle.

Very comfy around the lower back/waist.

Can easy carry spare inner-tube,puncture repair set,cycle maps,energy bars,tyre levers an allen key set plus other stuff.

Also has handy clip for putting your keys on and it also has elastic straps so you can carry and extra bottle.

I also have extra tools carried under my cross bar
  • I got one of these for longer rides.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... aist%20Bag

Its still a bum bag just holds a bottle instead of more stuff. I got it mainly because my frame can only have one bottle cage and I needed more water on longer rides - circa 100 miles. I find myself reaching behind to make sure its still there :shock: It really just disappears and is not noticeable.

When I went on a 120 mile sportive however I think it gave me some discomfort. I perhaps did not need it as there were plenty of water stops but I took in case I ran out between stops. That day I must have drunk four times the amount of carb drink I normally drink and as we all know it gives you a bit of wind. The strap around the waist and the bloated stomach did not agree.
  • Ruari
    Ruari Posts: 217
    Check out the ALS range of bags at a nearby Blacks or Millets. Good bumbags.
    FCN 1
  • dttlincs
    dttlincs Posts: 384
    I have one from the LBS with compression straps etc. I think it can also be fitted to a rear carrier or as a bar bag if required but not 100% sure on that.
    I rode Greenwich to Canterbury with it last year as the first ride with it. The main lesson I learnt with it was it enabled me to carry far too much kit that I ended up not needing!
    Comfortable but does bounce around a bit if you are going for it on a climb. In the saddle no problem and easy to adjust.
    Still thinking!