White Shoes

davieboy1981
davieboy1981 Posts: 28
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Is it acceptable for a newbie to wear white cycling shoes?!

Comments

• Um... Is there any reason it wouldn't be?

If it was a yellow jersey I could (sort of) understand the question, but what's the significance of white shoes?
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • they're just a little more flashy than black ones!!!
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    There's no reason not to wear white shoes, other then the fact that any dirt on them might show up quite quick.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I thought white was the only colour allowed?

http://manchester.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2258201150
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    :lol:

For those who don't have Facebook access....

7. Cycling shoes must contain at least 80% white!
    The following exceptions apply…
    i) Colours combinations such as world cup stripes, or Olympic gold where title has been EARNED.
    ii) Shoes which are custom-made for specific riders by companies endorsed by this group. These shoes will be accessible to the particular cyclist only, and shall follow the preceding rules.

8. If white cycling shoes are not available where you reside, white booties with prominent logos shall always be worn. When booties are worn, socks should protrude approximately 7 centimetres above the ankle, and shall always protrude at least 1.5cm from any booties worn.
  • Mog Uk wrote:
    :lol:

For those who don't have Facebook access....

7. Cycling shoes must contain at least 80% white!
    The following exceptions apply…
    i) Colours combinations such as world cup stripes, or Olympic gold where title has been EARNED.
    ii) Shoes which are custom-made for specific riders by companies endorsed by this group. These shoes will be accessible to the particular cyclist only, and shall follow the preceding rules.

8. If white cycling shoes are not available where you reside, white booties with prominent logos shall always be worn. When booties are worn, socks should protrude approximately 7 centimetres above the ankle, and shall always protrude at least 1.5cm from any booties worn.
    Please tell me this is humour... :shock:
  • Humour! This is very serious. There is no point in winning if you dont look good while doing it. 8) .
  • I'm not a competitive cyclist, but if I was I think I'd take the most pleasure from beating a field that was both better equipped and better dressed than me! :P
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Shadowduck wrote:
    I'm not a competitive cyclist, but if I was I think I'd take the most pleasure from beating a field that was both better equipped and better dressed than me! :P

That's not the point of the Euro cyclist. Winning is a bonus, but looking good is the priority.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Of course these are not mutually exclusive. Looking good and winning is preferable just like the Euro cyclist hero Cipollini.
  • White shoes are where it's at. They look good and stop your feet getting hot in the summer (if you can remember that far back).

I have a pair of white Sidi Genius 5.5, highly recommended, although a bit pricey.
  • *looks down at his grey Shimano MT51s*

*walks away whistling*
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    In that case, I'll get black shoes, I'd love to have hot feet during summer.
  • I wondered if it was wise buying some nice new white and black shoes for next year (when the weather is nice hopefully) in case they looked a bit too flash. After thinking about the colours of my three previous pairs I decided the new ones were probably the most tasteful and least garish of all.

For those of you wondering, the three previous pairs were....

metallic olive green and black Nikes (honestly!)
    blue with a few luminous yellow inserts Adidas (oooh)
    red and blue Diadoras (iffy)

So my white and black Adidas will be worn with pride once it's warmer, drier, sunnier, maybe if I could move to Spain it'll happen.
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • White shoes make you go quicker as well...

Proven fact ;)
  • Sidi Genius 4 silver n black ! 'Nuff said :lol:
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Paint 'em
  • Had this conversation with a friend the other day. Consensus of opinion was that if you buy white shoes you better be fast enough on the bike to back up the bling off the bike.

Seriously tho, if you can afford them, and you like them, then buy them and forget about what anyone else thinks
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I love that facebook group!!! :D:D

The rules of the Euro cyclist- favourites range from "when climbing jerseys must always be fully unzipped, flapping in the wind" and "23. You shall NEVER, under any circumstances, acknowledge the presence of a cyclist riding a bike costing less than €2000 in a public place. This could be severely detrimental to your image."

But Yes- White shoes are awesome. Especially good is white shoes with black bib tights. The black bibs should go directly into the shoes so the contrast makes the shoes look even better.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • I'd wait until Sidi's new Nuovi Pattini Dell'Imperatore shoes are available next year. Just make sure you ware clean socks!...
  • on a similar theme at what point in your cycling development does it become acceptable to wear overshoes in TTs for the aero effect? I took the plunge this year once I started finishing top 12 out of about 30 starters.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,938
    Black with liberal spurcings of mud is what mine are right now :lol:
  • So if white shoes keep ypur feet cool in the summer, why do my black Shimanos keep my feet bloody cold this winter??
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • So if white shoes keep ypur feet cool in the summer, why do my black Shimanos keep my feet bloody cold this winter??
    Just a fat bloke on a bike

that'll be the temperature
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business