Bar ends

Fanis
Fanis Posts: 101
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi
I like to install a new pair of bar ends to my flat handlebar.Please tell me what barends do you recommend me.I want good grip for long rides and high uphills.

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I think its mainly a matter of preference. So you want the 'ergonomically' chaped ones that are mouled to fit your hands, or the more standard sort. So you want carbon or no? And what budget do you have?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Fanis
    Fanis Posts: 101
    BlackSpur wrote:
    I think its mainly a matter of preference. So you want the 'ergonomically' chaped ones that are mouled to fit your hands, or the more standard sort. So you want carbon or no? And what budget do you have?
    I think that your questions are very good.My budget is max 25pounds.The 'ergonomically' will be the best for my hands but i don't know if i can find to buy something with my budget.Now what do you think will be the best for me???
  • clas
    clas Posts: 187
    I rode with bar ends for several years when I was more XC racy I can only remember two occasions when I used them. even then that was just because I wondered what riding with them was like!
    I never bothered fitting them when I bought a new bike.
    I never touched it! It was broke when I got here.
  • I think it all comes down to personal preference.

As far as I know you can find 3 basic shapes:
    Stubbies, which are a straight bar end that fits at 90 degrees to your handlebars. So your hands sit with your knuckles facing sideways from the bike.
    Ski bends, as above but then bend inward and upward about 45 degrees at the ends (like a pair of skis! :wink: ) and your hands sit with your knuckles facing sideway and a little forwards, usually a little longer than stubbies.
    and L-bends, which go straight forward from your handlebars, then turn roughly 90 degrees to run parallel with them, so you can place your hands as with stubbies, or with the knuckles facing forward as they would on your normal handlebars, just 4 inches or so further forward.

Best thing is try your local bikeshop, see some fitted to bikes or borrow a friends bike for a quick ride if they've got some. It's all to do with how much twist you are comfortable with in your arm and wrist, and how stretched out you want to be.

Have a look at somewhere like wiggle to see the differences.

I'm pretty tall, and although I've got a large framed bike, I still feel much more comfortable using my skibends. Only ever come off them when going fast off road or coming up to braking points. Couldn't live without them, I know others think they are ppintless, so it really is down to your riding style and preference.
    Proved by testing to be faster than a badger.
    The world's ultimate marmite bike
  • BlackSpur
    These bar ends have had good reviews, you may find them cheaper elsewhere:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5220000162&N=Cane%20Creek%20Ergo%20Control%20II%20Bar%20Ends
    These are a cheaper version, although I can't find them stocked anywhere:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/bar-ends/product/control-bar-end-grip-17008
  • BlackSpur
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Have a look here Cane Creeks a bit cheaper or some nice carbon numbers http://chainreactioncycles.com/Categori ... goryID=199