Which Pre-Etape Sportive?

stjohnswell
stjohnswell Posts: 482
I'm trying to choose a sportive for June as part of my Etape training. It's a shame that Highclere & The Dragon are only a week apart in the calendar. Which do you recommend? :?

Cheers!

http://stage10.blogspot.com

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm trying to choose a sportive for June as part of my Etape training. It's a shame that Highclere & The Dragon are only a week apart in the calendar. Which do you recommend? :?

Cheers!

http://stage10.blogspot.com

Don't know about them but the Polkadot is awesome!...and if yur really wanting something to boost your fitness why not try Dave Lloyds Mega Challenge...think that'll be tougher than the Tourmalet then Hautacam....
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    If its only one I would do the Dragon as the hills in Wales are more similar to those in France (but still short by comparison).

That said I am doing the Marmotte (same weekend as etape) and have entered both.

(Would not advise Dave Lloyd challenge IMO its too soon to the etape, not only from training point but also in terms of logistics. Shame because sure it will be one hell of a ride).
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    It's a shame that Highclere & The Dragon are only a week apart in the calendar.
    Lee,
    First of all - like your blog. I think you will find it hugely motivating and strangely therapeutic.

I would recommend doing both. I did them last year and they were both a great part of my training for last years Etape. This year I have opted for the Marmotte (same weekend as Etape) - I'll be doing the Dragon Ride and I would be doing the Highclere but for a wedding that weekend.

I strongly advocate UK sportives as an integral part of a training plan for the Etape/Marmotte. I'd suggest several throughout May & June such as... Duncton Sunday Sportive, Hampshire Hilly 100, Chiltern 100, Highclere 100, Dragon Ride, Circuit of Cotswolds (all close-ish to the South Coast).

If for any reason this is not a go-er and it comes down to a straight shoot out between the Highclere Castle and the Dragon Ride then I'd definately opt for the Dragon as it is more similar to the Etape and will provide better preparation of the two. (Tip: I'd book your Dragon accomodation now as it gets booked up early).
    Rich
  • Guys,

This is all great advice, I need LOTS. I still have such a long way to go in my training I simply cannot imagine riding two sportives on adjacent weekends without being wasted.

Clearly, I need a kick up the backside right now if it's all going to come together in the summer.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    I simply cannot imagine riding two sportives on adjacent weekends without being wasted.

I understand how you feel right now, but can assure you will be looking forward to more come the summer...

If you are going to be able complete the Etape then long weekend rides are going to be the norm. Last year Highclere took me approx 6hrs 40 and the Dragon ride approx 7hrs 15.

Think of it as motivation. If you head out by yourself I reckon after three or four or maybe five hours you will have called it a day. Where as on a sportive, you'll be cycling in a group, clocking up the miles, making the most of the feed stations and grinning...
    Rich
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Other advice: if not already join a club and go out on group rides. To get the most out of a sportive you need to be comfortable riding with lots of other riders.
    Martin S. Newbury RC