Which bike for commuting?

seven7
seven7 Posts: 11
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

I'm new here and would like to get some advice about which bike to get for commuting.

The route I take is half road and half off-road (a hard trail along a river that can get a bit muddy and also has 2 sets of annoying speed bumps for bikes).

My employer has started a cycle2work scheme, which means I can get up to 40-50% discount on a bike from halfords. I can spend up to £1000.

Now with that in mind, which bike should I get? My preference is something that's lightweight.

I've had a look in halfords and i've seen a few possibilities:

One bike that has caught my eye is the Voodoo Limba: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yrn_106172
It's very light but not sure it's appropriate for going over those dreaded bike speed limiting bumps 4 times a day!

The other bikes i've seen are GT Aggressors mountian bikes and the Boardman bikes... but i just can't decide!

I'm looking to spend about £500-£1000, any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

s7.

Comments

• Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    What sort of terrain will you be riding?
    Do you need to carry anything?
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • seven7
    tarmac on the road and a grit surface along the river bank.

I'll probably be wearing a backpack with a pair of clothes, lunch and some stationery
  • Never heard of the Voodoo Limba but it doesn't sound too bad from the spec - it's got reasonably wide tyres on it and should survive a hard and mostly smooth bit of off-road I would think. That said, I'm not sure I'd spend that much on a bike purely for commuting!

Whatever you get, if you're going to commute year round you'll probably want to make sure it'll take full mudguards. I'd also definitely recommend a rack and pannier if you're going to be carrying more than sandwiches, rucksacks can get awfully uncomfortable after a while and the sweaty back you get in summer is horrible.
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Rykard
    and how far? forgot that one lol

Recommendations will be as follows...

Hybrid, cyclo cross bike, rigid MTB..

There are various makes - specialized, giant, kona, Carrera (halfords) that supply bikes in these ranges...

cost will become a factor - how much do you want to spend? If you can pick up an 07 model cheap that would be a good deal...
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • Depends if the bike is solely a commuter or going to be used for other stuff.

my commuter is a carbon zaskar but it gets used as my only transport/leisure bike 8)
    Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!!
  • seven7
    Thanks for your help Rykard :)

I'm not sure about the distance... It's a relatively short journey... i've cycled the route before and took about 20-25 minutes.

I think i will need full mudguards, but the panniers i could do without.

i'm looking looking to spend between £500-£1000.
  • Rykard
    I was in a similar position a while back. I was riding a rigid mtb with a rack. I was in two minds what to replace it with as it getting a little long in the tooth. I was looking at the Spesh Sirrus, but this was £350-650 depending on model. What I then stumbled across was a Merida T1 that was £150. I haven't sorted it out yet - pedals , lights, racks etc but I wil be doing this over the christmas holiday. But this has allowed me to sample 700c hybrid without breaking the bank. If i like it come summer time I will be looking at a Kona jake cyclo cross bike (£650) I think...
    Cheers
    Rich

• seven7
    The Kona Jake seems similar to the voodoo limba?
  • seven7
    ok... I really like the Voodoo Limba... fast, lightweight and will fit nicely in my passage!

but now i'm thinking maybe it's a bit overkill for a 20 mins commute (x2) everyday?

Is it really too much for what i want it for?
  • seven7 wrote:
    ok... I really like the Voodoo Limba... fast, lightweight and will fit nicely in my passage!

but now i'm thinking maybe it's a bit overkill for a 20 mins commute (x2) everyday?

Is it really too much for what i want it for?
    Depends on whether you've got other things you'd rather spend your money on! There's certainly bikes for around half that price that would be more than capable of doing what you're asking*, but if that's the bike you want and you're happy to pay out for it who's to say you're wrong?

*Not sure how nicely they'd fit in your passage, but that's a bit personal. You can get arrested for that sort of thing!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • 40 minutes a day.
    Every day.
    3.3 hours a week
    173 hours a year... equivalent to over 7 days solid in the saddle.

I reckon a couple of hundred quid extra for the right bike under these circumstances if fine. Particularly as nobody would blink an eyelid if you said you'd decided to pay an extra couple of hundred quid (or whatever) for metallic paint on your car...
  • If you think you'll keep up the cycling you will inevitably want to start doing longer rides of sorts. In this case it's worth investing in a nicer bike that will last.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    If you're looking for a cross bike, check out the Focus range from Wiggle, they look a lot better value than those from Halfords.
  • Plax
    Plax Posts: 33
    Just don't buy from there Apollo range!
    I ended up with a bike from Wiggle in the end, after buying a bog standard Apollo CX10 from Halfords. Rubbish for regular commuting, it's more of a leisure bike.

On the cycle scheme, I believe that Halfords are happy to order bikes in that they don't usually stock, so worth asking if your local Halfords will do tihs, and then browse the net or LBS for a bike that's suitable.

I've gone for a Hybrid rather than a racing bike. My commute is mainly on the road with a dirt track for about a mile, so it's quite happy to go through muddy puddles and bump over the odd sticking out stone. Tyres aren't chunky like MTB's and not razor thin like racers so it's a good compromise.

Deffo get mudguards, most hybrids don't come with guards so you'll have to buy them separate.

Check out the likes of Claud Butler (Legend/Odessey etc range) and the Dawes Discovery's. Mine is a GT Nomad Sport.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    The voodoo you are looking at is a excellent bike but OTT for what you require, cycle-cross bikes are for racing on/off road and are more popular with people who ride competitive.

Don’t get me wrong most people would bite your hand off for this bike but you would be better looking at a hybrid, something like the GT Zum (if your ride to work is with Halfords) or one from the Carrera range.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yrn_106167
  • seven7
    Plax wrote:
    On the cycle scheme, I believe that Halfords are happy to order bikes in that they don't usually stock, so worth asking if your local Halfords will do tihs, and then browse the net or LBS for a bike that's suitable.
    Thanks for that Plax - I didn't know that. I will definately ask.

A few hybrid bikes on Evans Cycles have caught my attention:

Kona PHD
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=60231

Cannondale Synapse
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=50050

Ridgeback Genesis
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=71044

I'm looking for something a bit high end and light... and those bikes seem ok.

Thank you all for your feedback - much appreciated :)
  • seven7
    OK, I called up Halfords and they said they I can order most 2008 model bikes.

Any suggestions for a light hybrid bike? - max £1000.

Are there 2008 model carbon hybrids for under £1000 RRP?
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    No one has mentioned On-One yet!!!! I have a Kaffenback for commuting and a bit of light touring. Similar style of bike to the Halfords one you like, but with the legendary "Brantness" about them :D
    1598079062_f51d9b8c10_b.jpg
    Frame £99 and forks £35 carefull buying would keep you well within budget. I use mine down similar tracks and road surface. Now fitted with full mudguards for winter- and they will probably stay on for good now. I'd recommend a rack, I ride with a Camelback all the time off road, and used to on the commute, but I got fed up having a cold wet back. Hence the pannier
    I'm a heavy lump as well, and its standing up to my abuse well. And it also give me another opportunity to post a pic of one of my bikes!!! :lol:
    Gorgot to add, a quick tot up of major parts gets it around the £500 mark, Wheels were on offer at £100, chainset off ebay (new) £35 levers again ebay £40......
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I'd go for one of the Specialized cyclocross bikes, I think they totally rock.

Second option would be a nice steel framed hardtail MTB with good disc brakes - check out www.on-one.co.uk
  • Got to say Ratty2k, like the look of that Kaffenback.

Totally agree with what’s been said about full mudguards and pannier. IMO they are a must, particularly considering the mixed terrain you want to cycle. It isn’t just the wet weather where you will appreciate them, I’m glad of mine in the heat and dust of summer to. Oh, and don’t skimp on a decent waterproof pannier bag either.

I’m a fan of the Kona Jake and Jake The Snake range. Being the more expensive, the Jake the Snake is generally better equipped, but it’s the carbon fork that will make the biggest difference. The steel P2 fork on the Jake is excellent (I say that having just passed 13,000 miles using a P2 fork); it’s just a fair bit heavier.

http://www.konaworld.com/08_bikes.htm

Plus, Halford’s sell Kona bikes, so while I haven’t seen the cyclocross range on the shop floor, they should readily be able to get them in.

Happy shopping :D
  • Ratty2k,

that kaffenback looks great. I like the spec too.

I've been looking at the new bike options for a while; the Planet X / On One products look great & offer lots of flexibility for spec / accessories. Plus they're different to the norm.

If you're in no hurry, you can shop around for the smaller components for a DIY build on a budget, or spend a little more for them (Planet X) to build it for you.

I think I may go for a Kaffenback or Uncle John in the new year, building to suit my needs; fast road bike to carry some luggage on the commute, but tough enough for the trails too.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    william79 wrote:
    Ratty2k,

that kaffenback looks great. I like the spec too.

I think I may go for a Kaffenback or Uncle John in the new year, building to suit my needs; fast road bike to carry some luggage on the commute, but tough enough for the trails too.
    Thanks for the kind words!!
    You've just given the exact reason for me buying mine. I am more of a mountain biker than roady, but going to work on either of the MTB's gets a bit tiresome. This just does the journey perfectly.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • seven7
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Unfortunately I can only get a branded bike and not any custom bikes.

I don't think a cylo-cross bike would be appropriate for commuting, so I think i'm going to stick with a Hybrid.

I'm thinking either a Kona PHD or a Cannondale Adventure 1.
  • seven7
    OK... i've narrowed my list down to a choice of 5 bikes - I've read good things about no1. Ridgeback Genesis Day 02, so i'm kinda inclined to that bike at the moment... but would appreciate some more opinions!

1. Ridgeback Genesis Day 02 2008 Hybrid Bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=87268
    * Frame: ALX9 Triple Butted Aluminium
    * Fork: Genesis Carbon
    * Gears: Shimano FD-R770 front and Shimano 105 rear derailleurs
    * Shifters: Shimano SL-R770
    * Crankset: Shimano 105 50/34
    * Brakes: Shimano Tiagra Dual Pivot V brakes with Shimano BL-R770 levers
    * Wheels: Shimano RS10 Wheelset
    * Tyres: Continental Ultra Race Folding 700x 23c
    * Handlebar: Carbon 560mm
    * Stem: Genesis Alloy A head
    * Saddle: Genesis RD2 with Cr-Mo rail
    * Seatpost: Carbon 27.2mm
    * Pedals/Extras: Road pedals with clips & straps

2. Specialized Sirrus Pro 2008 Hybrid Bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70089
    * Frame: Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium fully manipulated tubing compact design FACT carbon seatstays with Zertz inserts
    * Forks: Specialized FACT carbon fork with bonded carbon legs 7075 alloy threadless steerer Zertz inserts and fender mounts
    * Gears: Shimano FD-R773 Ultegra front and Shimano 105 long cage rear derailleurs
    * Shifters: Shimano R770 10-speed STI shifters
    * Chainset: FSA Gossamer MegaExo 2-piece crankset
    * Brakes: Avid Single-Digit 7 linear pull brakes with cartridge pads
    * Wheels: Jalco GX460 alloy triple wall rims with machined sidewalls and indicator grooves built on Specialized forged alloy hubs
    * Tyres: Specialized All Condition Armadillo 700x28c
    * Handlebars: Body Geometry Event Zertz butted 6061 alloy bars with Zertz damper
    * Stem: Specialized Comp-Set 3D forged alloy stem
    * Saddle: Body Geometry Avatar with microfiber cover and gel padding
    * Seatpost: Specialized Pave II FACT carbon with Zertz insert and Aluminium head
    * Pedals/Extras: Crank Brothers Smarty pedals

3. Kona PHD 2008 Hybrid Bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86442
    * Frame: Kona 7005 Aluminium Butted
    * Fork: Kona Carbon
    * Gears: Shimano 105 flatbar front and Shimano Ultegra rear derailleurs
    * Shifters: Shimano 105
    * Chainset: FSA Gossamer MegaExo cranks 53/39/30
    * Brakes: Avid SD 5
    * Wheels: Mavic Aksium Wheelset
    * Tyres: Continental Ultrasport 700 x 23c
    * Handlebars: FSA XC-180 oversize flatbar