what to buy??

dcab
dcab Posts: 255
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
i've got 2k to spend on a road bike !but being 6ft & 16st dont know whats my best option?
on speaking to my local dealer i was told that "any bike in that price range was strong enough", were do i stand :? :? :? :?
veritas vos liberabit

Comments

• Hi,

IMHO if this is your first road bike, i'd probably advise you to spend a little less - say £1K tops. For this sort of money you'll still be able to buy a really nice bike that should let you develop your skills and handling.

Don't forget you'll also need to spend money on a helmet, clothes, shoes etc etc - which will soon add up.

Again this is just one view and i'm sure you'll get lots of people saying no don't buy that buy this. But try some of the bigger brands such as Specialized, Trek, Scott, also look at maybe the Focus range which seems to be good value for money. With regards to your weight (and i'm being very delicate about how i write this ;-) I'm sure with the bigger brands will have taken this into account.
  • All bikes come with a 2 to 3 stone weight reduction for it's owner so I'd think about what bike I'd want as a trim, fast cyclist come this summer!
    The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    2k is alot of money to spend if you're not sure what you like. Might be better to spend something like £800 now, which would get you alot of bike, then after riding it for a year or so, sitting on your ars reading the forums and generally getting clued up as to what you like, you can shell out on a new bike or some upgrades. 2k pretty much buys you a dream bike. If you're not sure what your dreams are yet then you're wasting cash. You might even find you don't enjoy it. On the other hand, if you're sure (or loaded), take your 2k to a reputable shop, chat over the options, take them out for a test ride and enjoy your lovely new bike! I've been riding my second hand mid range Cannondale since I joined this forum a few years ago but only now am I building up my fancy bike and choosing the bits I know I want. It takes a while to know what works for you.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Why are people recommending you spend less? I'm sure you have a good reason for setting a £2k budget. My first road bike cost me £3.5k 5 years ago. Some may say that was way too much, but I never saw the point of buying something cheaper and then wanting to upgrade 6 months - year later. If you can afford it and you know you'll use it, then spend whatever you like.
    I would suggest that most frames in the £2k range are strong enough. Wheels may need a little more consideration. Maybe look at exchanging the specced wheels for something a little more substantial. Most (good) bike shops will be happy to adjust the spec of bikes to suit.
    Good luck
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    I echo APlll's comments; with a little TLC a bike will last a lifetime - particularly a very good one, which your budget will get you. So if you're going to buy, spend some time considering which, and buy the best you can afford, which in your case means buying the best. You will have to live with it for a long time, and the last thing you want is to be subjected to the opprobrium of your new club mates (yes! join a club) because you haven't quite made the in-crowd because of your choice of machinery.

The key point, IMHO, is to get a frame which will take 28mm tyres - you should always ride the widest tyres your ego will allow, and with -ahem- 224 lbs to support 23mm may not the wisest choice.