lakeland loop 2008

andy610
andy610 Posts: 602
im thinking of entering this ride, but not sure how i will get up some of the hills, im 46 and been cycling now for over a year, i have done a few longish rides of 30mls, 50mls, 70mls and 94mls, but not sure if i can get fit enough for this ride in time, has anyone done this ride in 2007 and where can i find a map of this ride.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    andy610 wrote:
    im thinking of entering this ride, but not sure how i will get up some of the hills, im 46 and been cycling now for over a year, i have done a few longish rides of 30mls, 50mls, 70mls and 94mls, but not sure if i can get fit enough for this ride in time, has anyone done this ride in 2007 and where can i find a map of this ride.

Depends on what gearing you use and how fit you are...on the Lakeland Loop you do hit one of the toughest climbs known to man or beast...Hardknott...On the Lakeland Loop I reckon you hit this with around 65-70 hard miles in the legs..after Hardknott you've still got Wrynose(much easier from this side) but still steep as hell....and If im thinking right directly after that youve got Wallend to get back over to Great Langdale so its one of the toughest finishes...

Youve got till April to get fit, but I really would suggest a triple...I fear you will have a REALLY bad day trying this on a standard double...to put it in perpective...this year when I was on the FWC I had an enormous struggle with Hardknott, ok the FWC is much tougher than the Lakeland Loop but I reckon that hill will kill ya no matter what, and me, my mate and one other older guy who had touring gears were the only 3 who made it up without walking/stopping when I was on it...and there was around 50 on it then! I barely made it with my trusty triple with 30x27....and I do lots of very demanding long runs all over the place...so as I said on another thread over in 'Beginners' about the Lakeland loop...drive over and have a look at these hills..[/img]
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Got a link? It sounds intriguing.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    vermooten wrote:
    Got a link? It sounds intriguing.

http://www.everydaycycling.com/edc/even ... t_610.aspx
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Thanks Rich!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers