Rides near Kingsbridge, Devon

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
My family are going to be spending Christmas at my sister's place. She lives outside Loddiswell, near Kingsbridge in Devon. I'm keen to take the bike and am looking for a loop that will get me out for a couple or three hours.

The obvious one is this one: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1501681

Loddiswell - Ledstone - Aveton Gifford - Modbury - Wrangaton - Totnes - Harbertonford - Ledstone - Loddiswell.

Does anyone with local knowledge have any comments on the route? It looks fairly hilly, which is OK, but I'm more concerned about the safety of all the roads. I have down in that area once before and there were a lot of narrow roads with high hedgerows, and there didn't seem to be many cyclists out. I normally cycle in and around Bristol so am used to a fair bit of traffic, but would obviously like to avoid dangerous roads.

Any alternative suggestions would be most welcome.
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    Have a look on www.bikely.com under 'tangoman' - that's me or my good friend 'ken knight'. You'll find some good routes there that you can adapt to suit.

The road from Loddiswell to Wrangaton is fairly busy at commute time with lots of very angry drivers keen to get home as quickly as possible but it's not that bad.

I live in Plympton and he lives in Yealmpton and we're both involved with various local cycle groups.

The local roads are fine, not much traffic but watch out for cow s#it or ice on the lanes if it's very cold - though looking at the weather forecast I think it will be wet over Christmas.

i would make a point of checking out the local lanes as they afford some stunning views of the South Hams, Dartmoor and the coast. A good one is from Modbury through California Cross and down to Gara Bridge with a big climb out to Moreleigh. My South Hams Scenic route goes out to Dartmouth then along the coast to Slapton and Torcross - one of my favourites - have a look.

I'd stay away form the A381 from Totnes to Kingsbridge as although it offers a very good long climb it is quite busy with (again) angry motorists

Also if you take the coast road from Flete Estate to Battisborough Cross and onto Noss Mayo and Newton Ferrers is a nice run and a touch flatter.

You could always ride out with the YOGi's. If you want to get in touch contact me on messages and I'll give you the email address.

Apologies if I've gone s bit anoraky but this is a lovely area for cycling if a little hard. Any further questions ask away.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    If you are staying in that area and you only do one ride it is compulsory to ride the A379 from Kingsbridge to Dartmouth or vice versa, easily the best road in the area....it does get bumpy from Slapton up to Dartmouth but the views are awesome. Then there is a hill out of Dartmouth in every direction except along the river and out to sea but it's well worth it.
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Thanks for the replies - I would have thought that, between Xmas and New Year, there won't be too much commuter traffic on the roads. I guess there might be a lot of nutters going to the sales though...

Rob - I'll definitely check out the A379 - it'll be on my 105-shod Specialized though, so I hope that's OK.
    Le Blaireau (1)