Target testing

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited December 2007 in Pro race
must be a good job...I'd like it ..cause pros choose some really exotic places for training. Gran Canaria, Turkey

What job would you like at the UCI? target tester is mine :D

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I couldn't face the thought of the blazer.

Or having to report to someone as stupid as McQuaid.

:shock:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:

:) surely the target testers are men in black too though? Not good to show up with a UCI dope control hat on as Vino and Kash types would be off out the neigbourhood so fast.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I reckon Basso, Ullrich and Vino will be looking for alternative jobs. Since they've already proved adept at taking the p1ss with their outlandish excuses and claims, collecting urine for a living would be a suitable form of employment...
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

:) surely the target testers are men in black too though? Not good to show up with a UCI dope control hat on as Vino and Kash types would be off out the neigbourhood so fast.

I wouldn't be so sure. Stefan Van Dijk was banned two or three years ago for doing a runner when he saw the anti doping wagon driving down his street. It wouldn't surprise me if it had a big siren and a flashing neon sign that says THIS IS THE DOPING WAGON in foot tall letters.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Many, if not most of the testers are not members of the relevant sporting federation. I believe each country has a panel of approved testers, possibly under the auspices of the national Olypic committee. There are some commercial testing organisations but many of the testers do it for little more than the cost of their petrol and in return get the suspicion and abuse of the athletes. Why? probably for the same reason people stand marshalling junctions in the pouring rain or incurring the wrath of angry parents trying to take places in the bunch sprint of a schoolboy race.
    I remember reading about Al and Kay Guy, two stalwarts of the Irish athletics scene who were the testers that (finally) caught Michelle Smith. The abuse they suffered for having the temerity to even test our "golden girl" was completely unacceptable.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'