Getting Started Road Cycling

RICH78
RICH78 Posts: 49
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I have been interested in Road Cycling for a few years now, but seem to lack the motivation to get out on my bike. What can I do to improve my motivation and get out on my bike?

Comments

• DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    The only way I motivated myself to do it was by having a destination I needed to be at, hence Im a commuter, I still havent yet taken a leisure ride on the bike, but I ride to work and back no problems at all. Im far too lazy to get my self out on the bike for its own sake, but have no problems at all doing 14 miles a day to work and back. The money saving and essential nature of the journey make it all happen.

Selling the car helped me stick to it better :D
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Enter a Sportive or some other event you need to train for. If you are the type who hates to fail, then it should provide the necessary motivation you need.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    RICH78 wrote:
    I have been interested in Road Cycling for a few years now, but seem to lack the motivation to get out on my bike. What can I do to improve my motivation and get out on my bike?

If you haven't already got one, buy a cycle computer RIch - there is a certain fun-factor in seeing your avg-speed increase over a set course - certainly adds to the experience and can help with motivation.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Set yourself a goal, a charity ride or something.

Tell everyone you're doing it and the incentive will be there.

Then you'll ride for the hell of it to clear your mind and stay fit 8)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    Hi Rich78

Join a club, this helps motivation and certainly improves ability.
    Start time-trialling.
    Ride with friends/group.
    Have a target as already mentioned...a long distance ride or similar.

But I find the best motivation is the club and a regular group to ride with.
    I have a few pals that ride Sunday nights all year round, a steady 25 miler into and around Oxford and back, pretty much rain or shine. Keeps me going!

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    The next time you return home after work and the weather is fine, then put your bike at the front door and promise yourself that you will not eat your evening meal until you have been out for a spin, (AND DO IT). Failing that theres really no hope, your bike will live longer than you, it will still look new in twenty years.You will save a fortune in spare parts, tyres tubes, chains wheels e.t.c. and think of those accident and near misses that you will never have.Cycling is great fun its healthy and if you can be bothered to get up off your backside and try it then a whole new world awaits you, its right outside your front door. Go and have a look. Greetings ademort.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    Get married. You'll be looking for every excuse under the sun to get out of the house...

:lol:

If she's reading. I never said that...
  • The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer
  • Max_Man
    Max_Man Posts: 185
    songwriter wrote:

I wanna go for a ride now.... :wink:
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I actually find such things a good incentive to get out and about. Especially if I'm having a lazy day!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • RICH78 wrote:

Set fire to the house - That's what I do. Works every time.