First ride on my first road bike

AntLockyer
AntLockyer Posts: 561
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Well I finally got the chance to go for a poottle about on my new Cannondale CAAD9. 20 miles of mixed terrain on saturday was really hard work. I had to really dig deep at the end of the 4 mile road back up to my house which although it's not steep has no flat bits anywhere.

My backside is sore now but I can't wait to get out again.

:lol:

Comments

• Your me 3 weeks ago and If I'm you in 3 weeks look forward to speedy 35 milers accelerating towards the end. :D
    The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer
  • CAAD9, very nice. If you enjoy cycling now wait until you experience the sheer enjoyment of summer cycling, utter bliss...
    Every winner has scars.
  • Same as myself, went out on my new road bike on sunday for the first time. Seemed really strnage compared to the Mountain Bike, but still nice. Looking forward to next weekend now. and a longer ride.
  • As said above just wait 'till you can go out in a t-shirt and shorts on a nice summer day (tear welling up in my eye!!). Heaven on two wheels!!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Good Luck to ya Ant, it's good fun this roadie business.

Ah roll on the warmer months, I'm dreading starting training in Jan.
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    still only done 7 miles in 2 weeks on mine :cry:

bloody work/weather :evil:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Got out on Sunday for my first ride on my ebay carrera now fitted with spd pedals (also a first for me). Started off and realised within a 100 yds that the front mech wasn't doing its job smoothly. Turned round and headed for home to correct.

Tweaked the mech. Anxious to get going so clipped in and fell over on my driveway, bollocks! still nobody about so that doesn't count - then notice daughter No 3 waving from window, give her thumbs up and start again. Made it out on the road, unclipped left shoe and promptly fell to the right in the middle of the road. Nobody about except a car 200 yards away heading my way. Got up quickly and moved nonchalantly to the side of the road. Car slowed down just to make sure I'm okay, give him the thumbs up and then notice the MTB on the rack at the back, bollocks!

Managed 17 miles without further mishap....
    Good fun this caper
    baz
  • Falling over is almost a baptism of clipless pedals. I had my cartoon fall over turning right. Slowed down to nearly a stop then realised I had to actually stop but the brain signal to feet was too slow and keeled over on to the path. Kindly the merc driver behind me asked if I was OK. Now that I think of it maybe he though he hit me!
    Every winner has scars.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    bazza59 wrote:
    Got up quickly and moved nonchalantly to the side of the road. Car slowed down just to make sure I'm okay, give him the thumbs up and then notice the MTB on the rack at the back, bollocks!

baz

rest assured its all over the town now baz :oops: :oops:
    Watch out for gravel never stop on it and then unclip.I did just that in front of 50 cyclists at a pub once . oh the shame of it after 20 years cycling. :roll: :oops: :oops:
  • Thanks for the words of encouragement. Now for an embarrassing story :oops:

My track pump wouldn't engage on the valve before I went out and I thought it was because there wasn't enough sticking out. So I felt the tyres and they felt fine so off I went.

I finally worked out that the pump just needed fiddling to get it to work with the shorter valve and when I check I only had 40 psi is it any wonder I found it hard work :D