Hetchins: which handlebars?

Gavin Gilbert
Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
edited December 2007 in Road general
this afternoon I have mostly been preparing my next job for Neill Shankland to work his magic on. It's a '54 Experto Crede and I can't decide which 'bars to fit:

http://gallery118643.fotopic.net/c1424963.html

The photo on the left with the Weinmann levers is the bike with Bailey bars. A bit of a late model for a '54. These are quite wide so fit me well, but have a long reach so I will need to find another stem.

The photo on the right is the bike with GB 531 bars and stem in a Maes pattern. Bang-on period correct, the reach is perfect but the bars are painfully narrow.

I think I prefer the look of the Maes bars, but I'm not 100% about it.

Influence me please :wink:

Comments

• I like the look of the lefty
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    IMO the ones on the right . The ones on the left would look better on a Fixed wheel . Nice machine .
    bagpuss
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i prefer the steeper drop on the bars on the left.
  • 4candles
    4candles Posts: 240
    Stick with the correct period bars, seeing as you have them... you know it makes sence.
  • Dickie
    Dickie Posts: 1,489
    I would go for the Baileys, I hate riding on narrow period drops, I find them seriously uncomfortable.
  • DEJ
    DEJ Posts: 19
    I have a 54 straight Experto Crede as well, but I've not yet built it up. I like wide bars so the narrow ones are out and so I'm probably going to use GB randonneur bars with a GB stem.

I think the decision depends on how seriously you'll be riding it and over what sort of country? Personally I only buy bikes that I intend to ride and for a reasonable distance. Of course owning a bike for for display or pride of possession is a worthy pastime in which case make it as authentic as possible.

best of luck with it.

Dave
    David Jones