How to start track riding?

nolf
nolf Posts: 1,287
edited December 2007 in Track
How can i start doing some track stuff?

I live nearish the Newport velodrome and was wandering whether they have newbie sessions for 18+ year olds?
"I hold it true, what'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost;
Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    You’ll need to initially get involved in coach-led sessions at the velodrome.

My coach runs regular sessions at Newport – you can find details of dates and availability here. In fact, there’s a session tomorrow morning that I’m attending.

You can also contact the velodrome directly and they should advise how to get on to other sessions – a lot of these are organised by clubs or groups and it’s a case of getting a way on to them.

You never know, if you get a move on and get in touch with John @ Sports-Coaching tonight, you could even be riding tomorrow! 8)
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • nolf
    Thanks for the info.

Don't get back to Cardiff until Monday so might drop in to the Novice/Beginner session the Velodrome runs.

Unfortunately I can't afford to pay for any more special coaching :(, might just see what the velodrome can do for me. I'll see how much train tickets are and plan accordingly, so might be in contact later this week.

Any advice for my first track session?

What do I need to take with me?

Alfred Tennyson
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    nolf wrote:
    Keep pedalling.

:wink:
  • Eddy S
    nolf wrote:
    Listen to what the instructor/coach tells you to do
    Always check over your shoulder before you manoeuvre – it’s amazing how many experienced track riders don’t do this
    Relax, have fun and enjoy
    What do I need to take with me?
    Shoes with Look cleats (not Keo) or trainers you can use with clips and straps – you won’t be able to fit your own pedals
    Your own helmet and mitts
    Riding glasses unless you want streaming eyes
    Clothing you can layer – it was pretty cold in the velodrome yesterday reflecting how cold it was outside (not like Calshot mind you where it’s always warmer outside… :wink: )
    ‘Riding ‘ food of your choice and plenty to drink.

BTW, just to clear up a misunderstanding if there was one – the Sports-Coaching sessions are open to all – you don’t have to be a coached client to ride.
  • nolf
    Sorry for delay been really busy unpacking and never quite made it to Monday, got back too late on Monday :(

Also Look cleats- but not Keo...? I thought all Look pedals were some variation of the Keo. I've got the 3 bolt attachment system with the triangular (ish) cleat as used by Shimano and Look. Is that what you mean?

I'll drop in tomorrow at the Thursday lunchtime "drop in" session. I've got to cycle there so I'll just wear my outdoor clothing in layers.

Alfred Tennyson
  • Eddy S
    nolf wrote:
    Also Look cleats- but not Keo...? I thought all Look pedals were some variation of the Keo. I've got the 3 bolt attachment system with the triangular (ish) cleat as used by Shimano and Look. Is that what you mean?

I'll drop in tomorrow at the Thursday lunchtime "drop in" session. I've got to cycle there so I'll just wear my outdoor clothing in layers.
    All of the hire bikes have the older style Look (Delta) pedals fitted so if you're planning to wear your own shoes they need to have Look Delta cleats fitted - Keo (and all others) are not compatible. Hope that clears this up?

There were notices posted all over the velodrome last week about closure for maintenance work but as I'm not due back there till Jan, I wasn't paying attention to actual dates - they are installing a barrier on the back straight (amongst other things) and I think that this might be happening this week - call ahead to check they're open.