Moped riders

BentMikey
BentMikey Posts: 4,895
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
Oooh, I had a lovely one this evening on the way home from work! I was parked in an ASL by Bromley on the A21, and had a whole bunch of teenagers on mopeds pull up next to me. I was on the 'bent, so of course got lots of attention, and I was uber friendly and chatty. Nice bunch of kids, they were good fun and friendly back.

As the lights turned green I stomped on it, and stayed with the group all the way to the next set of lights near Waitrose, southbound. I could hear the exclamations of surprise when they didn't lose me, and then utter awe as we topped 45mph down the slight incline. They were so flabbergasted when we stopped and chatted again.

I wish it was really 45mph, that's only what the one kid's speedo read. I think my cycle computer is rather more accurate and showed just under 40mph. I should point out that I'm by no means a fast rider, this stretch is just a nice gradual downhill, perfect to take at high speed on a recumbent. I don't get much over 20-25 on the fixed wheel just to show the difference between the bikes.

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    It's great when that happens - good that they were nice kids too..

Maybe they'll get a 'bent' now then.....
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    On the ocassions I get passed by a moped and I'm for some motor-pacing it usually goes like this: Moped comes past, I jump on the wheel - moped rider sees me in his mirror and tries to accelerate - then does a bit of 'tank-slapping' to vainly decrease wind resistance! When 'ped-ist realises he can't shake me off, they usually sit-up and act casual, trying to pretend that I'm not there.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • That's excellent to hear Mikey! Not least because I know that area and that road :-)

Glad to hear the moped drivers where friendly, I always had the young ped riders down as hooligan oiks (but that just might be in my area!!)

I remember once on my commute home I pretty much kept up with a minibus all the way down one of the last stretches of my commute. They came onto the road as I joined it and I think it was partly due to the learner a few cars ahead that they couldn't fly off like most people do on this road! That along with a lucky light change in my favour which held them up just long enough for me to catch em! At the last set of lights we just exchanged a knowing nod and smile of appreciation that I'd managed to complete the stretch in the same time as them :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • BentMikey
    Hehehe, I think they might well have been oiks, but the combination of the recumbent as an icebreaker, Christmas cheer, and me talking to them like equals seemed to make for a great interaction even before we sped down the road.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...kids are just kids out for a laugh and some mischief, :roll: I'm sure a lot of us were lippy little baskets at one time in our lifes...I know I was... :D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Dammit - now I want to "get 'bent" :(
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Is this not just a thread to say you did nearly 45mph. :lol::lol:

Only kidding, nice to see you doing your community service though. :wink:
    FCN 10
  • BentMikey
    LOL, it was really more like 39mph, and I've been quite a bit faster than that before. Just need a bigger hill.