we're a caring bunch

Rob4
Rob4 Posts: 75
edited December 2007 in The bottom bracket
Was stopped by the side of the road in Richmond Park this afternoon, attempting to locate an annoying squeak, and was pleasantly surprised to have around eight cyclists go by me in no more than two minutes, each one calling "alright mate?!".
It warms the cockles on a bloody freezing day. :)

Comments

• ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    agree, never short of offers of help if i'm stopped at the side of the road. I'm usually just having a rest and taking in the scenery, but it's good to know that help is on hand if it's needed. :lol:
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    I always make a point of asking if someone needs help, hoping that they don't.
    I have pain!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...you are right Rob4, cyclists are, in general, a caring bunch...I always check people are okay and the same has happened if I am stopped...sometimes the moral support is all you need... :D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I've had it both ways. One time I was stopped due to a broken pedal and about 3 cyclists stopped to ask if I was ok. The other day I had to stop because of an "unscheduled deflation" and no one stopped. A few cyclists just went past as if I was invisible. I had it all under control but it would've been nice for someone to say something. I'd always stop if I saw someone having problems with their bike.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    pst88 wrote:
    I've had it both ways. One time I was stopped due to a broken pedal and about 3 cyclists stopped to ask if I was ok. The other day I had to stop because of an "unscheduled deflation" and no one stopped. A few cyclists just went past as if I was invisible. I had it all under control but it would've been nice for someone to say something. I'd always stop if I saw someone having problems with their bike.

I think it depends on whether you look in control or not. I usually ask if people are ok but I'm probably less likely to if they are doing something purposeful and competent looking!
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Before deciding whether to ask if someones ok when I see them stopped or pushing a bike I generally look for signs like a chain not sitting right or flat tyre, If everything "looks" ok I dont stop to ask if they are ok, dont want to be insulting someone whos just taking a break!

But if I see someone has a flat or a chain off or something that it looks as if I might be able to help with I will stop and check.

So far Ive not had to get my hands dirty but quite prepared to if I can be of help. But dont like to poke my nose in if I cant see an obvious reason for not being on the bike and riding.
  • Agreed. If someone has a flat and looks to be fixing it, then they really don't need any help. Unless they make eye contact (especially that big round eyed pleading for help type), someone in the process of a repair probably doesn't need any assistance. I guess it's nice if someone asks when I'm mending a p***ture, but I don't expect it.

However, if someone is staring quizzically at their bike (or holding up a broken bit), I'll ask if they are ok as I pass. Had two instances on a relatively recent trip. The first, was a case of the rider and his son taking a break and just happened to be inspecting one of the bikes as I went past. The second pair of riders I offered assistance to actually needed some help with the rear derailleur.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always stop. Always.

'Don't need to assess before I do. 'Never know, you may further your business career.

The Yank in me.

Do most work for someone else in the UK?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I've never really passed anyone in trouble with their bike while I am out on mine, but I have in my car. Problem is that there's never really been a safe place to pull over.

I probably couldn't offer much technical help as I'm useless with repairs. But I could usually offer them the use of a phone in case they need picking up. I'd happily let them put the bike in my car and give them a lift too if they needed it.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    I stopped for a chap once who had a puncture with no way to repair it. I offered him my spare inner tube but he'd already arranged for someone to pick him up. He was very appreciative even though he didn't need my help.
    It's all good.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    My chain broke a couple of weeks ago and a cyclist pulled up in his car, put the bike in the back and gave me a lift home. It's nice to have that sort of comradeship in the sport, I would always stop to help out a fellow rider.
  • Last Spring I stopped in a lane just off a fairly quiet road in order to put some more air in my rear tyre.. It was then that I found the limitations of my mini-pump as it was taking an age to make any positive difference. Three guys detoured off the road in order to check if everything was OK. When i explianed that I wasn't really in any great difficulty other than taking an age to get up to pressure, one offered me his frame fit pump, the other held tha bike ,whilst the third grabbed the business end of the pump and did the hard work. I was amazed, appreciative and embarrassed ; all in equal amounts.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad