arm warmers or long sleeve top?

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
long sleeve or armwarmers??

Comments

• It rather depends on how cold it is. With arm warmers it allows you to take them off when you get warmed up. However if the weather is such that there is no liklihood of you wanting to ride with bare arms then wear long sleeves. You really need to possess both to give yourself sufficient all year round choice.
    just most of my gear is short sleeved...thought would be cheaper gettin armwarmers than new outfits long sleeved
  • Yes, arm warmers would be the cheaper option for you at the moment until you expand your wardrobe! The arm warmers will effectively turn all your short sleeved jerseys into long ones.

If your out on your bike and have an accident or need to stop fix a puncture you will soon be very cold if all your wearing is armwarmers better to invest in some good winter gear and keep the short sleeved gear for summer
  • stueyc
    arm warmers pretty much waste of time then?
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    I have arm warmers and they come in usefull particularly in Autumn where you might be cold to start with and then warm up too much for long sleeves.

Same later on, this time of year arm warmers can be usefull under a jacket with a short sleeved shirt. however the colder it gets the better long sleeved tops are than armwarmers with short sleeved tops.

Armwarmers have their place but this time of year you want a jacket and probably coming up for a long sleeved top as well.
  • stueyc
    think i might aswell purchase some anyway...give them a try out

looks like i need to be spending on more winter clothing me thinks
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    stueyc wrote:

I still need to spend some money on more winter gear yet a couple of pairs of tights should just about round out my gear now, cycling gear isnt cheap but when you compare it to a couple of weeks petrol it seems quite reasonable :D clothes arent consumables :D
  • stueyc
    im commuteing daily...20 mile a day and most sat/sundays for fun so need to be warm and dry
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I wear armwarmers and a jacket. If it warms up they can come off and go in the pocket, I hate long sleeve tops.
  • stueyc
    windbreaker or waterproof or both?
  • yogi
    yogi Posts: 456
    L/S jersey, arm warmers and gilet when riding at night. Where would we be without the indispensible arm warmers and gilet - cold!
  • stueyc
    l/sleeve,arm warmer and gilet....not a bit restricting??
  • I just stick with layered up summer tops and arm warmers. I'm nice and warm, but i always have a paclite waterproof rolled up in my back pcket just in case i have to stop or the heavens really open. Doing this has done me well for the last few years; i tried a long sleeve top once and just overheated, but you should probably at least give it a go; there's nothing worse than being freezing cold on the bike!!

Edited - just to say that the only parts of me that seem to get cold are my feet and hands, so i invested money in those areas rather than expensive winter tops...
    "Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    stueyc wrote:
    l/sleeve,arm warmer and gilet....not a bit restricting??

No ideal autumn dress. I think arm wamers are an essential part of a wardrobe.
  • stueyc
    gonna get me sum warmers
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    FWIW, the Endura arm warmers are good and reasonably cheap.
  • penugent
    penugent Posts: 913
    I started riding about 3 years ago. At the end of the first summer I found that arm warmers did me until Jan - when I invested in a wind-resistant L/S top
  • sonicred007
    sonicred007 Posts: 1,091
    stueyc wrote:

Get on ebay - my fledging clycling clothes range has expanded no end picking up out of season bargains

Got a great vintage belgian winter jacket for £12

There's always the wish list on wiggle and make sure you're family and friends who buy xmas and birthday presents for you have sight of it too

Happy warm head, shouldersm knees and toes
  • Did 46 today at 2 deg, wore long sleeve Helly under arm warmers with jersey and Gillet - just right.
    I must say goodbye to the blindfold
    And pursue the ideal
    The planet becoming the hostess
    Instead of the meal
    Roy Harper - 'Burn the World'
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    went out this morning, short sleeve base layer, with a long sleeve mid layer and short sleeved summer top. 2 deg C and 14 kph wind, just about right I found. Woolly hat is essential though, as you loose a lot of heat 80% IIRC through your head.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Arm warmers are very handy but as others have said maybe best suited for situations where there is a possibility of taking them off later on. If no possibility, long sleeves better. Note that long-sleeve jerseys are generally inherently heavier and warmer than short sleeves (although there are exceptions.) You may also find long sleeves/tights more comfortable than arm/leg warmers as there are less seams or opportunity for stuff to move around.

Both options are useful so certainly don't be put off getting arm warmers (or leg warmers for that matter) and it does stretch your summer stuff that bit further into the autumn/early winter. For the price that they cost, they are a no brainer.

I would rank roughly as follows in order of increasing warmth:

Short sleeves
    Short sleeves w arm warmers
    Long sleeves
    Short sleeves under a jacket
    Short sleeves w arm warmers under a jacket
    Long sleeves under a jacket
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I think the best answer is yes.

If it's autumn temperatures arm warmers I find warmer as they stick closer to the skin and so get less sweaty and cold. Long sleeves are a bit loose on me and so can get sweaty.

If you're short get a jacket and a short sleeve jersey. That should do for all but the coldest conditions.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • stueyc
    got couple of good base layers from tkmaxx at the weekend ...purchaesed arm warmers too....will check out tomorrow how warm things are
  • I rode to work (10 miles each way) last week when it was colder than today (Monday) and I found arm warmers just fine with my short sleeved base layer, short sleeved top and gillet.

Today I probably could have taken the gillet off as there was a touch of sweat on the base layer.

The next step up would be a jacket, but I think it's all down to how quick you're going and how much work you're doing. My ride today was sub 35 minutes, so not as quick as the summer but felt I was working. If I went slower I'd probably be colder.

Dunedin
  • stueyc
    do about 8 mile eachway....takes about 30 mins normally dependant on traffic/lights etc