jersey fit?

grahamfocal
grahamfocal Posts: 167
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Hi, Silly question, but how should a jersey fit. Got quite a decent one (cannondale fourteen40) and was wondering about the fit
I am 6ft3 and about a 36" waist/39"chest, but I have long arms and body. The sleeves seem to be (on full reach of the bike) about 2" up from my wrist. Is the rear where the pockets are supposed to cover a good portion of the old backside, or only a fraction. Basically if I am on my aero bars the jersey rides up so that my back is exposed a little.
In the chest area it seems to fit just fine, but I have a long body and arms.
Probably a stupid question :oops:

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Basically if I am on my aero bars the jersey rides up so that my back is exposed a little.

Do you not have any bib shorts or tights?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • yea have some bib tights, but just concerned that it rides up too much. I am new to this cycling gear, and in normal clothing I will buy a XL, but thought I had better go by the correct sizing for cycling kit. The main issue is the arms, being too short, as I stand normally the sleeves sit perfect but as soon as I adopt the sitting pstn. they ride up a few inches. I am just concerned that if I buy an XL that I will then have a tradeoff in the fit on the chest, which I think is correct, it's hard to know never having bought any of this stile of clothing before.
    :?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    do some weights and buy xl

yeah I know that doesn't help
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Go to your LBS and try some on?

You'll probably find the right size is different for you depending on the manufacturer.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    I tend to find that i buy larger in cycling gear than i do on the high street for ordinary clothes, but the best advice is to go and try some on. I would be unhappy with anything that rides up.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • You are not a "normal" shape - Your chest measurement is small for your height and waist size so you probably would need an XL - OK it will be a bit loose on the chest but will at least fit you on the arms/back which is more important than looks.

As suggested, go to a shop and try some on.
  • Gav2000
    Gav2000 Posts: 408
    I am a similar height to you but have a larger chest (42") and smaller waist (34"), I have nothing to add to your post I just wanted to let you know. :lol::lol::lol:

On a serious note I do have problems with cycling jerseys as I often find them short in the sleeve or baggy around the waist. I have a very good Altura windproof in size XL that has good sleeves and another Altura in XXL that I have taken in down the seams to reduce the waist. My best jersey though is a Polaris one that I got from Halfords, it is a good body fit (not too tight but not baggy) and has very long sleeves. I'm not sure if it's Halfords regular stock as it had no price tag or code on it so the guy at the till let me have it for £7, the price of the cheapest shirt on his system.

You certainly need to try them on though as I got a DHB one from Wiggle recently in XL and it was tiny.

Gavin.
    Gav2000

Like a streak of lightnin' flashin' cross the sky,
    Like the swiftest arrow whizzin' from a bow,
    Like a mighty cannonball he seems to fly.
    You'll hear about him ever'where you go.
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,079
    Trying on is obviously the best bet. Nothing worse than pulling something out of the package, pulling it on and realising within a few seconds that you have to pay to send it back.
    I would add that buying shortsleeved jerseys and wearing arm warmers (when needed) is a good way to get around the problems of the jersey riding up your wrists. More versatile then too as you can pull them off when its hot. It had never occured to me to get armwarmers before I saw some on offer and now I'm wondering why I didn't have any before.
    Prendas are good....and if you are buying online they are also very helpful with sizing queries.