1st 10 mile TT attempt

ram038
ram038 Posts: 187
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I'm thinking of doing my first 10 mile TT run this weekend. I have been commuting on average for 1/2 an hour a day for the past 7 weeks, so I have not done a lot of cycling i would like to gauge my level of fitness and get a measure of my average speed as a starting point for comparison over the coming months of any improvment. having never attempted this distance I have no idea what to expect and do not want to de-motivate myself . My question being is it too soon for me to try this.

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    If you can ride 10 miles then its not too soon. 8)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Go and get your first time.
    Whatever that actual number you can be sure it will come down every time after that (unless it's windy ;-) ) and for me that is a big motivation.
  • I think you'll have no probs
    The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    i'm doing my first boxing day and can't wait (been cycling a about 2 months now)

Use it as a training ride and enjoy it :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Its never to soon as your only racing against yourself, just don't go to fast at first build your speed and see what happens. My first 10 took me 34 mins i now do them in around 22/23 mins so your first time is just a benchmark for next year.

Good luck and have fun
  • dhd1965 wrote:
    Its never to soon as your only racing against yourself

Agree.

dhd1965 wrote:
    just don't go to fast at first build your speed and see what happens.

Disagree with this a bit... I think it depends on your mentality a bit - On my first 10 i knew i could ride 10 miles so wasn't concerned in the slightest about that aspect; I did it to see how fast i could do it, so on my first go i wanted to see where my breaking point was. I thought it was best to go flat out and see what happens; if you blow up then you know to back off slightly next time. If you don't go flat out, you never know what your limit is; you'll end up continually 'tip-toeing' up the pace and it could take ages to find out how fast you really can go. If you experience hell, then everything seems fine, even if you're riding just inside your limit.

Just my opinion tho...thousands would probably disagree!! :roll:
    "Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"
  • If he goes all out with just 7 weeks riding I can guarentee he will blow and he will not get a true idea of what time trialling is all about and maybe not enjoy it. TT's are about finding your maximun speed and power you can maintain over a certain distance not just going out hell for leather until you blow. I agree don't go tip-toeing but I see a lot of newcomers blowing after the first mile or so, just a gentle bit of advise build your speed and finish strong.
  • I definately see your point. I just wanted to shed another light on things. You are right tho i guess - after only 7 weeks it might be a better idea to just get the first one done before you really go all out..(i hadn't been cycling for very long at all when i did my first one, but i had been rowing competitively for several years so was more than used to pushing all out 'til i puked etc)...

You're right...build up, but push yourself and enjoy!! :D:D
    "Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    ram038 wrote:
    I'm thinking of doing my first 10 mile TT run this weekend. I have been commuting on average for 1/2 an hour a day for the past 7 weeks, so I have not done a lot of cycling i would like to gauge my level of fitness and get a measure of my average speed as a starting point for comparison over the coming months of any improvment. having never attempted this distance I have no idea what to expect and do not want to de-motivate myself . My question being is it too soon for me to try this.

Let us know how you get on :)
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • Hi, I've just picked up my first Road Bike this morning and want to enter a 10 mile TT in a month or so, where do I find out where and when they are, and how do I enter.
  • www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk

The events for 2008 will start end of Feb start of March depending on where you live, that will give you a couple of months to get some training in.

• ram038
    Well i managed to complete the 10 miles and under the time I had set myself. I got off to a bad start as the route i had set myself started off with a long steady climb and my legs were not up to it, I decide to change the route half way up the climb. I'm glad I did as my alternative route was straight and flat, perfect for my attempt at 10 miles. I was not as well prepared as I should have been but i know better for next weekends attempt., can't wait such a natural high.
    :roll:
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    The time man, the time, what was your time, tell us the time :wink:

If you want to improve the trick seems to be to do some much longer slower rides.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • ram038
    feel wrote:

If you want to improve the trick seems to be to do some much longer slower rides.

did my 2nd 10 mile today in 24.14 minutes. This seems a wee bit fast for me so I am doubtful that my computer is setup correctly it is a fairly flat route with a couple of minor hills, got down to 12 mph at these bits.rarely dipped under 20 mph though. Does this seem too fast for an unfit 48 year old?
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    ram038 wrote:
    feel wrote:

did my 2nd 10 mile today in 24.14 minutes. This seems a wee bit fast for me so I am doubtful that my computer is setup correctly it is a fairly flat route with a couple of minor hills, got down to 12 mph at these bits.rarely dipped under 20 mph though. Does this seem too fast for an unfit 48 year old?

This 48 yr old would be over the moon with a time of 24 minutes! Anything less than 30 actually.

Take your car, drive five miles according to the mileometer, do the same route on your bike and see what the cycle computer says - if it's within a tenth of a mile it's about right. (Well, within 2%)
    A point of order here. Going out and riding a route of your own making does not comprise a time trial as most British cyclists would understand it. What you have done is ridden a training ride.

A time trial is organised by clubs, normally in accordance with CTT regulations. The course is measured using a milometer calibrated against measured miles which were set down years ago using temperature corrected metal tapes. The event is timed by approved timekeepers using calibrated watches.

So - when they kick off in 2008, go and ride some events (you will need to be a member of a club) and get the real answer on how quickly you can ride a set distance.

In the meantime, carry on with what you are doing. It is good training and obvious good motivation for you.
  • a_n_t
    ram038 wrote:
    did my 2nd 10 mile today in 24.14 minutes. rarely dipped under 20 mph though. Does this seem too fast for an unfit 48 year old?

you'd have to average 25mph to do 24 minutes [i think]

seems unlikely tbh but who knows!! :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    quote "did my 2nd 10 mile today in 24.14 minutes. rarely dipped under 20 mph though. Does this seem too fast for an unfit 48 year old?"

not at all although I would expect to see that drop sharply if you are going against the wind. I used to do mine as an out and back so that I would have any wind behind me on one leg.

Make sure that you spin gently for 1/2 mile or so when you finish. Don't just come to a full stop ..very bad for your heart and muscles.
    Best sign of fitness is how long it takes after the 10 for your heart rate to return to normal resting rate. If you measure your pulse in your neck for 15 seconds and multiply by 4x every 3-4 mins after the 10 you'll get a second method of measuring your improvement. Good luck
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    a_n_t wrote:
    you'd have to average 25mph to do 24 minutes [i think]
    I've always thought it rather tidy that:

- you have to go at 24mph to ride 10 miles in 25 minutes
    - you have to go at 25mph to ride 10 miles in 24 minutes.

:D

Ruth
  • ram038
    peanut wrote:
    quote "did my 2nd 10 mile today in 24.14 minutes. rarely dipped under 20 mph though. Does this seem too fast for an unfit 48 year old?"

not at all although I would expect to see that drop sharply if you are going against the wind. I used to do mine as an out and back so that I would have any wind behind me on one leg.

Make sure that you spin gently for 1/2 mile or so when you finish. Don't just come to a full stop ..very bad for your heart and muscles.
    Best sign of fitness is how long it takes after the 10 for your heart rate to return to normal resting rate. If you measure your pulse in your neck for 15 seconds and multiply by 4x every 3-4 mins after the 10 you'll get a second method of measuring your improvement. Good luck

I took it easy on the 10 miles back though I did run out of steam towards the end.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Also remember that an official set distance TT (10, 25, 30, 50,100miles) the course has to be out and back the start has to with in a certain distance to the finish.
  • a_n_t
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    - you have to go at 24mph to ride 10 miles in 25 minutes
    - you have to go at 25mph to ride 10 miles in 24 minutes.

:D

Ruth

nice and tidy!

if you're "un-fit" though you're not going to be doing 24 minute 10's!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I did an informal 34.57 at 17.2 avg this morning (just come in 10 minutes ago 8) ) on a local 10m loop that I've put together - not bad for an injured ACL, a heavy 12kg £250 road-bike with no aero-bars and roughly 6.75 miles of climbing, up to 15mph winds and greasy wet roads in the middle of Winter.......ah context :D - generally quite pleased with progress, but hopefully moving towards an ACL reconstruction as soon as possible.