Interview with Rock Racing boss

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2007 in Pro race
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/13787.0.html

I've take a fairly strong dislike to him just based on this interview.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    I doubt you'll find anyone in the sport who likes him. Still, "I would never have someone like that around me" marks a new low on the great cycling deny-o-meter.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Is it me, or does virtually every one of his paragraphs directly contradict the one prior to it?! As for this...
    MB: Yes, Kayle. We've had him tested by Max Testa and Max stepped out and said, "You have a Tour de France contender. At the very least this man can win a stage." Okay?

Okaaaaaaaaay.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    To quote Thomas Beecham

"Mr. Ball? How very singular"

As I've said before, I'm not sure that R&R are any worse than other teams - they just like to give the "Dude, we're just rebels at the gates of hell" line.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Lots of tats there for covering needle marks................dude.
    How did this f@ckwit ever make a living, never mind a fortune? :shock:
    Dan
  • He sounds a bit of an individual doesn't he?
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    iainf72 wrote:

me too , he comes across as a bit silly and opinionated...and whatsmore, I've never heard nor read of him, so I guess is nobody special, buit turns up as a DS...it's a bit like cycling weekly ask Luc Eisinga or whoever on earth this T mobile guys was, what he thinks of the TDF route 2008...who the heck is this Eisnga fellow anyway...at least get a clean rider or even an ex doper convict on who has done the TDF...I'd be more willing to listen to them to be honest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    By the way... Max Testa?! What the hell name is that? Sounds like Dick Pound's superhero alter-ego!
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:
    By the way... Max Testa?! What the hell name is that? Sounds like Dick Pound's superhero alter-ego!

hehe.

Levi's coach as well, innit
  • LangerDan
    afx237vi wrote:

Max has been around a long, long while. I think he was team doctor for 7-11 in the '80s
  • LangerDan
    Dave_1 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

me too , he comes across as a bit silly and opinionated...and whatsmore, I've never heard nor read of him, so I guess is nobody special, buit turns up as a DS...it's a bit like cycling weekly ask Luc Eisinga or whoever on earth this T mobile guys was, what he thinks of the TDF route 2008...who the heck is this Eisnga fellow anyway...at least get a clean rider or even an ex doper convict on who has done the TDF...I'd be more willing to listen to them to be honest

Thats now at least three high profile teams where the squad is ultimately bankrolled by an individual - R&R, Slipsteam (Doug Ellis) and HighRoad (Iainf's buddy, Bill Stapleton). It isn't always a bad thing - look at Squinzi & Mapei - but it does leave the squad high and dry when the main man gets disillusioned or wants to spend his money on hookers and cocaine instead.

Ball has achieved exactly what he set out to do - he has a very average squad, most of whom would struggle to make the Chocolade Jacques reserves yet they now have the public profile of a top pro team. We never had forum threads discussing Ed Beamon of Navigators or the Toyota-United squad.
  • iainf72
    LangerDan wrote:
    Thats now at least three high profile teams where the squad is ultimately bankrolled by an individual - R&R, Slipsteam (Doug Ellis) and HighRoad (Iainf's buddy, Bill Stapleton). It isn't always a bad thing - look at Squinzi & Mapei - but it does leave the squad high and dry when the main man gets disillusioned or wants to spend his money on hookers and cocaine instead.

Oh man, now I'm thinking of Bob with a hooker on each arm and a big old bag of ching. Thanks for that Dan.

:D
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    That'll be why it's called Team High Road...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    That'll be why it's called Team High Road...

hehe.

And "rock" racing.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    has told his riders, "You either win or you're fired."

Hmmm - kinda hard to have all the team win every race ?
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Didnt he used to have a column in Procycling?

Or am I thinking of "Winning- Bicycle Racing Illustrated" in its last days?