Fixed stopping advice

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Not a beginner to cycling but just changed my single speed to a fixed gear and took it for its first spin yesterday.

Really enjoyed myself but thought I would ask if any advice re braking, especially in emergency situations. I guess simply stopping turning your legs would bring about a pretty quick halt :? but also might mean my kneecaps explode...
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    For riders new to fixed gear, having both front and rear brakes is a good idea, particularly if you live in a hilly area. 20% decents on a fixie aren't much fun, regardless of your experience and riding skills. In emergency braking situations its surprisingly how adept you become at skid stops, but in all honesty I'd much rather grab two big handfuls of brakes, particularly if you're trying to control your speed on tricky descents and need to control your direction and speed. Skid stops are fine on flat, clear roads, but sliding doesn't come under my category of control!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    I have recently converted an old road bike to fixed and experienced some interesting rides downhill. I have not as yet had to do an emergency stop but in this situation I am sure it would be a good idea to keep both brakes on your bike; I did. I have found its best to try and control your speed with your legs from the top of a hill, if you let the bike go and then try to slow things down it becomes a bit of a rough ride. Also your legs seem to have a ‘flywheel’ effect and the back brake seems less efficient. I have been using my fixie since October and have been really enjoying it, after the first few rides it started to grow on me to the point where I may keep using it in the summer and leave the bikes with gears for only the hilliest of rides.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i ride fixed in london and stopping with one brake isn't really a problem, although it does take time to get the hang of leg braking so that it becomes natural and done without thought.

with regard to descents - i know it's not the bes technique, but when riding in richmond park there's a big slope, not a huge hill or anything, but when on gears i can get up to around 37-40mph, and i just periodically lock up the back wheel and skid for a bit.

i used to use 48:16 but this means one (one!) skid patch. this leads to rapid demise of tyres and deathly blowouts. i now use 48:17 = many more skid patches. much better.

a good brake on the front, i.e 105, makes all the difference.
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    I find talk of skidding on fixed really interesting. I ride fixed a reasonable amount and just can't get the rear wheel to lock up. Am I a leg wimp? is it due to gearing (39x14) or what?
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Why would you want to lock it up; who likes destroying their tyres?
  • peejay78
    me, i like it.

i enjoy wearing through tyres. it shortens the life of the tyre, then i buy another one. a gator skin is about £15. i can afford it. i enjoy the sensation of skidding, i don't do it all the time, it's fun, especially in the wet.

the easier the gear, the easier it should be to lock up, your gearing is very light indeed. i unweight the rear tyre by using the front brake and lock up. ii can do it without using the front brake, but have to shift the weight slightly, usually a tiny skip to the left or right.

practice in the rain first, it's very easy. then skid into a one handed trackstand. mad skilz.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    peejay78 wrote:
    mad skilz.
    fo sho'

:wink:
  • tony_m
    tony_m Posts: 70
    This'll probably make me sound really sensible / dull / wimpy, but IMHO if you're skidding, you're out of control (to say nothing of the extra wear on your tyres and stress on your chain etc.).

I'd rather use two brakes, and keep the back wheel turning - once you're tuned in to the sensations of riding fixed, it shouldn't be long before you find that in an emergency, your legs simply disconnect from your brain and keep spinning away on their own while you concentrate on braking / steering yourself out of trouble.
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    tony_m wrote:
    This'll probably make me sound really sensible / dull / wimpy, but IMHO if you're skidding, you're out of control (to say nothing of the extra wear on your tyres and stress on your chain etc.).

I dont slide my bike round, Im just a commuter :), but based on my years of rallying cars I'd completely disagree with the idea that someone cant be in full control of a vehicle whilst its lost all traction at the back end :D

Indeed I rate a cars handling by how it handles once you got it shaken up and flowing rather than how long it grips for before starting to slide... I was a left foot braker, so if all 4 tyres were gripping I wasnt going fast enough.

The odd time I have had a rear wheel skid on my bike it certain felt like something that could be quite well controlled by someone with experience... I would think its just a case of getting used to it and learning how the bike reacts...
  • peejay78
    tony_m wrote:

I'd rather use two brakes, and keep the back wheel turning - once you're tuned in to the sensations of riding fixed.

this all makes sense, and i am attuned too the sensations of riding fixed. i love the control that comes from the connected drivetrain. i enjoy leg braking, but also unweighting the rear wheel, skipping and skidding - however these are not examples of a lack of control, far from it.

i am aware that skidding has its drawbacks. i don't do it all the time, but it is lots of fun, and reminds me that i am not quite ready for CTC membership and a copy of saga. not yet, anyway.
  • Mans' greatest invention? The wheel.

Mans' second favorite invention? The freewheel.
  • peejay78
    third favourite?

the fixed hub, sprocket and lockring.
  • i'm just looking forward to trying all this.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • peejay78 wrote:
    tony_m wrote:

I'd rather use two brakes, and keep the back wheel turning - once you're tuned in to the sensations of riding fixed.

this all makes sense, and i am attuned too the sensations of riding fixed. i love the control that comes from the connected drivetrain. i enjoy leg braking, but also unweighting the rear wheel, skipping and skidding - however these are not examples of a lack of control, far from it.

i am aware that skidding has its drawbacks. i don't do it all the time, but it is lots of fun, and reminds me that i am not quite ready for CTC membership and a copy of saga. not yet, anyway.

I tend to ride my fixed on club runs, so skipping the back wheel is not a good idea, I'm sure that I'd be invited to ride at the back if I were to try it, at the very least. :)

Also, when going downhill, I always find it more comfortable to perch on the front of the saddle and pedal ! Actually putting a little bit into the pedals means that I am in control rather than the bike.