Sick co workers rant

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited December 2007 in Campaign
WTF is it with people insisting on coming to work when they are clearly to ill to do so? Not only are they effing useless but they spread disease around and infect everyone else! I've got news for these contagion ridden f*wits - no I DONT think you are a brave soldier for coming in to work - I think you are a revolting, moronic and hazardous individual and I wish you would f*ck off home!

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    clanton wrote:
    WTF is it with people insisting on coming to work when they are clearly to ill to do so? Not only are they effing useless but they spread disease around and infect everyone else! I've got news for these contagion ridden f*wits - no I DONT think you are a brave soldier for coming in to work - I think you are a revolting, moronic and hazardous individual and I wish you would f*ck off home!
    an intelligent and well thoughtout piece.

Your spartkling wit has convinced us all of your well reasoned position
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • clanton
    Thanks. I try.
  • spen666
    Try also reading this thread - it may open your narrow mind slightly :twisted:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 9#14665919

if it doesn't then a meat cleaver is a good way to open someone's mind- however the police and judiciary don't seem to approve of this method :oops:

Twittering @spen_666
  • clanton
    Who rattled your chain mate? This is the Soappbox - rants allowed.
    FYI she would get sick pay - I am the temp who gets sweet f-all when I'm off ill with her bug! And I'm NOT the only one at work grousing about her presence here.
    If my weekend gets ruined due to her stupidity then you will see a REAL rant.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    It's called 'presenteeism', and recent HR reports suggest that it's a bigger problem than absenteeism.
    One person comes in sick, 2 people end up off sick with their lurgy.
  • So mdo you go off sick, or come in to avaoid losing your sick pay? That's what I used to do.
    If I had a stalker, I would hug it and kiss it and call it George...or Dick
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3 ... =3244&v=5K
  • spen666
    clanton wrote:
    FYI she would get sick pay - I am the temp who gets sweet f-all when I'm off ill with her bug! And I'm NOT the only one at work grousing about her presence here.

Read the whole thread!

In particular this

Belv

Posted 13 Dec 2007 13:12
    Graeme_S wrote:
    You don't get sick pay!?

SSP only, except for one occasion when i refused to go home even though i was pretty rough. Eventually the MD told me he'd pay me out of his own pocket if necessary, just go home!
    For that reason i have been the cause of a few bugs going round the office over the years. I feel guilty for my colleagues, but i cannot afford to lose a weeks money for the sake of a cold that hasn't stopped me cycling to work. And considering i've taken about 10 days off sick in my 8 and a half years here, i think i've earned the right to be paid for when i am off sick.

i'd go in to work to make sure I got paid. I couldn't pay my bills on SSP rates

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    spen666 wrote:
    clanton wrote:

Read the whole thread!

In particular this

Belv

Posted 13 Dec 2007 13:12
    Graeme_S wrote:
    You don't get sick pay!?

SSP only, except for one occasion when i refused to go home even though i was pretty rough. Eventually the MD told me he'd pay me out of his own pocket if necessary, just go home!
    For that reason i have been the cause of a few bugs going round the office over the years. I feel guilty for my colleagues, but i cannot afford to lose a weeks money for the sake of a cold that hasn't stopped me cycling to work. And considering i've taken about 10 days off sick in my 8 and a half years here, i think i've earned the right to be paid for when i am off sick.

i'd go in to work to make sure I got paid. I couldn't pay my bills on SSP rates
    So our top flight legal expert isn't even in a salaried post? :lol::lol:
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I think people also feel pressured to going into work when they are sick.

Last year I went down with flu in November, so was off sick for a few days. I then got it again in December, so came in earlier than I should because no matter how legitimate it is people start muttering when you've had more than 5 or 6 days off in a year, or even worse a short period. On Boxing Day I had a nasty accident on my bike. I missed another day of work, but then a mate drove me in for a few days as I couldn't walk more than a few metres. Again, I should have stayed home (no risk of infecting others in this case), but I couldn't have more days off "sick".

I do however believe in people staying home if they are sick, if only to prevent it being given to others.

One thing that does wind me up is the stats that occasionally make the press about the number of days (and apparent money lost as a result) taken by people when they aren't sick. If you were to balance that against the number of days people should really stay at home when sick and the extra unpaid hours they put in I think it would actually work in the favour of companies by a large margin.
  • spen666
    sexybird wrote:
    ...]

The two things are wholly unrelated.

Even in a salaried post you can get SSP

Also note the tense of my post - ie I'd being future conditional. ie what I would do in that situation, not what I do

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So you would be able to pay your bills then.
    Do try being explicit as opposed to implicit,might save you the trouble of wriggling out of your little grammatical cock ups.
    If that's what they are.
  • clanton wrote:

I hate people coming in and spreading disease as well. But consider this:

We have a guy at work and I say at work in the broadest sense. He phoned in to say his wife had written off the car - next day he arrive in that car. Next day he phones in again to say she has written off the car again. He phoned in to say his mum had fallen down the stairs - she lives 200 miles away. He phoned in to say he had been bitten by a spider. He phoned in to say he had a swollen testicle - I'm not joking. He phoned in to say his son had chicken pocks and then he had to have a check up to see if he had it as well. His son's school phoned us trying to locate him - no one knows where he is. He went AWOL for two weeks because his mum had got a villa in Florida. Thats just the things I can remember.

At the last count he had gone through all his holiday and more, taken 55 days sick - have not seen him this week. In fact I don't think we have seen him since the day in November when he came in. We think he has two jobs. If you would like to see this guy he will be on 'Scrapheap Challenge' in the new year making an arrow throwing device - something he took a bit of time off to do.

Oh, and when he is here he is asleep.
  • clanton
    {Three Yorkshiremen mode on} SSP? Luxury! Why when I was a lad..... etc/}

My mood has improved cause she has now gone home thank God!

Seriously though - I don't get SSP or anything else - if I don't show I don't get paid - period. So I cannot afford to get her germs!
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Is it not true that you are contagious BEFORE you develop all the nasty coughing, sneezing etc. If you wait until you feel rough before going to work then the damage has already been done. By that logic we should not mix (if you are too sick to go to work/school then you are too sick to go to the pub/play with your friends) just in case symptoms arise in a few days.

Live with it - it is bolstering your immune system.
  • clanton wrote:

Spen666 has one of those new fangled self-rattling chains. Had you not noticed?
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I have to say, it's very dependent on how much time i've had off for that year,

This year i dragged myself in through a nasty cold because i'd had a reasonable amount of time off alsready, all legit, one week of not being able to keep water down (nasty bacterial infection they think but were never able to fully diagnose) and a week off with sciatica (sudden attack which i passed out from the pain and was stretchered to hospital and couldn't walk for a week)

I felt it would have looked bad on me to have been off for anymore time so i "soldiered" through it when i could well have been better staying at home. i didn't consider other people to be honest, i just didn't want more sick days on my record.
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    We have a guy at work and I say at work in the broadest sense. He phoned in to say his wife had written off the car - next day he arrive in that car. Next day he phones in again to say she has written off the car again. He phoned in to say his mum had fallen down the stairs - she lives 200 miles away. He phoned in to say he had been bitten by a spider. He phoned in to say he had a swollen testicle - I'm not joking. He phoned in to say his son had chicken pocks and then he had to have a check up to see if he had it as well. His son's school phoned us trying to locate him - no one knows where he is. He went AWOL for two weeks because his mum had got a villa in Florida.
    I once had a chat with the MD of the last company I worked at. He told me that he'd studied the company records and found several people who had taken excessive time off sick over a period of years. These weren't people who had chronic health problems. I asked what he meant by excessive. He replied that one individual had taken a minimum of one long weekend (Friday and/or Monday off) every month for 3 years, many of these 'illnesses' covering both Friday and Monday. Strangely, the person in question had never been ill on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. He said that he couldn't prove that the illnesses were fake, and the worker was kept on because he worked well the rest of the time. His name would be top of the list, however, if the company ever had to make redundancies. A couple of years later, it happened...

It strikes me that the guy pulling the sickies was either really stupid, or possibly had a drink/drugs problem which came to a head at the weekends. I can relate to the desire to run away from stressful work, but it was not really fair on those who had to cover for him.
  • ColinJ wrote:

I once had a chat with the MD of the last company I worked at. He told me that he'd studied the company records and found several people who had taken excessive time off sick over a period of years. These weren't people who had chronic health problems. I asked what he meant by excessive. He replied that one individual had taken a minimum of one long weekend (Friday and/or Monday off) every month for 3 years, many of these 'illnesses' covering both Friday and Monday. Strangely, the person in question had never been ill on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. He said that he couldn't prove that the illnesses were fake, and the worker was kept on because he worked well the rest of the time. His name would be top of the list, however, if the company ever had to make redundancies. A couple of years later, it happened...

It strikes me that the guy pulling the sickies was either really stupid, or possibly had a drink/drugs problem which came to a head at the weekends. I can relate to the desire to run away from stressful work, but it was not really fair on those who had to cover for him.

I think stressful work is definitely the problem for us. I have stressful times as well and I identify them as times where I cannot get out of a situation that is no good. Times like those can be very testing. Luckily I have defences that hold up most of the time, mainly a long background in what I do helps me ride out the storms. However as a person gets older perhaps they feel less dependent and that they don't need the hassle just to line the pockets of shareholders etc.

Fair enough if someone wants to get out but that must pose the problem of how to earn money. We have a role that needs filling but the person is not there to do it. Actually the guy I described is not even the 2nd worst for sickness where I work. Apparently he is currently trying acupuncture. Come January he will have a new entitlement of holidays and sickness, so we wont see him until at least February.
  • spen666 wrote:
    sexybird wrote:
    ...]

The two things are wholly unrelated.

Even in a salaried post you can get SSP

Also note the tense of my post - ie I'd being future conditional. ie what I would do in that situation, not what I do

So what is it exactly that you do for a living Spen?
    Wheelies ARE cool.

Zaskar X
  • I hate people coming in and spreading disease as well. But consider this:

We have a guy at work and I say at work in the broadest sense. He phoned in to say his wife had written off the car - next day he arrive in that car. Next day he phones in again to say she has written off the car again. He phoned in to say his mum had fallen down the stairs - she lives 200 miles away. He phoned in to say he had been bitten by a spider. He phoned in to say he had a swollen testicle - I'm not joking. He phoned in to say his son had chicken pocks and then he had to have a check up to see if he had it as well. His son's school phoned us trying to locate him - no one knows where he is. He went AWOL for two weeks because his mum had got a villa in Florida. Thats just the things I can remember.

At the last count he had gone through all his holiday and more, taken 55 days sick - have not seen him this week. In fact I don't think we have seen him since the day in November when he came in. We think he has two jobs. If you would like to see this guy he will be on 'Scrapheap Challenge' in the new year making an arrow throwing device - something he took a bit of time off to do.

Oh, and when he is here he is asleep.

Works for London Underground perhaps? Remember the guy on sick leave for ages who was rumbled whilst playing squash and then had the temerity to appeal the decision to dismiss him?
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Special K wrote:
    Works for London Underground perhaps? Remember the guy on sick leave for ages who was rumbled whilst playing squash and then had the temerity to appeal the decision to dismiss him?
    And the bloody RMT threatened to strike if the idle git was chucked out!
    It's only those paid by the public purse who have unnecessary days off, us workers have too much self respect to bunk off, mind you, bloody schools are starting it off, send kids home for any reason these days.
    "She's not feeling well, can you come and get her?"
    "Is she being sick?"
    "No, but she's not feeling well"
    As for stress, my arse! Idle bloody civil servants, bunch of parasites!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Fab Foodie
    Fab Foodie Posts: 5,155
    clanton wrote:
    {Three Yorkshiremen mode on} SSP? Luxury! Why when I was a lad..... etc/}

My mood has improved cause she has now gone home thank God!

Seriously though - I don't get SSP or anything else - if I don't show I don't get paid - period. So I cannot afford to get her germs!

So "When" you get sick, I assume you are going to go in to work (because you can't afford not to) and spread your germs to others?

The pessimists of this world are rarely disappointed....
    Fab's TCR1
  • Special K wrote:
    It's only those paid by the public purse who have unnecessary days off, us workers have too much self respect to bunk off, mind you, bloody schools are starting it off, send kids home for any reason these days.
    "Is she being sick?"
    As for stress, my ars*! Idle bloody civil servants, bunch of parasites!

I was in a job "paid by the public purse"
    If I went sick I lost one third of my pay. Same if I took any annual leave. I worked two years with no leave and no days off sick.
    I worked plenty of days while I WAS sick, though.

Hint: this is your cue to talk about massive gold-plated pensions that average, er, £4,000 a year....
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Hint: this is your cue to talk about massive gold-plated pensions that average, er, £4,000 a year....

At least its guaranteed - how good is that? :lol:
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I was once posted to a job and introduced to a man that could help me if i needed anything, it was quite obvious that this man was in no fit state to work because he had a plaster cast from the palm of his hand right up to his elbow, and in this job you need two hands. I could not effing believe it but this man was also the union representative, this was in Holland. I said if you were in the U.K. you would get effing shot, what example do you set for other people. He was allowed to wander about all day till his cast was to be taken off, but he could not do his job . What a fu##ing tosser. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • puzzled there---you think he should have been sacjed?
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    ademort wrote:
    I was once posted to a job and introduced to a man that could help me if i needed anything, it was quite obvious that this man was in no fit state to work because he had a plaster cast from the palm of his hand right up to his elbow, and in this job you need two hands. I could not effing believe it but this man was also the union representative, this was in Holland. I said if you were in the U.K. you would get effing shot, what example do you set for other people. He was allowed to wander about all day till his cast was to be taken off, but he could not do his job . What a fu##ing tosser. Greetings Ademort

I was grateful for company sick pay after being knocked off my bike and getting injured. It meant I didn't need to worry about the financial aspects of it. I'm glad we haven't moved back to the dark ages where everyone who gets sick is treated with such contempt - though I realise not everyone gets sick pay and is treated in a similar fashion as myself.

Maybe the union official involoved could still carry out admin union and work duties with his one hand. :lol:
    :lol:
  • Top_Bhoy wrote:
    . Maybe the union official involoved could still carry out admin union and work duties with his one hand. :lol::lol:
    Union Officials can always carry out their duties one handed! :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Special K wrote:
    "Is she being sick?"
    As for stress, my ars*! Idle bloody civil servants, bunch of parasites!

I work for a county council, so I am paid by the public purse, i get sick pay if I am ill but like some I don't take the p**s, this tax year I have 7 days off after a cycle accident.
    I remember 1 guy that I used to work with, openly said if I don't feel well I will ring in sick cos we get paid sick pay I might as well use it, this is possible because he was hung over from the weekend.
    I hate being off sick as it has a knock on affect to my work mates and the people in our care.
  • Sub3_99
    Sub3_99 Posts: 1,591
    If you're going to be miserable, it's far better to be miserable at work than at home :twisted: