BRUTAL MULL OF KINTYRE ROUTE? ANY INFO?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
Just playing around with Memory Map there and looked at creating a route which took in this 'most difficult climb' In the UK...the one from the Mull of Kintyre Lighthouse...

Basically theres only one route available...Starting in Whitehouse...and going south on a clockwise route down past CampbellTown then continue south until end of pininsula where you swing west...over and back from the lighthouse then north up the west side (A83) back to Whitehouse...

Looks absolutely brutal!...all the way down to the Lighthouse is a never ending series of Chevrons...never seen so many...the route works out at 100miles / 4000 meters ascent!

Has anyone ever cycled around here? Think this on a good day would be gorgeous...also has anyone seen this crazy 16% average climb from the Lighthouse?

Info appreciated!

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I've driven it (the Kintyre peninsula), a long time ago, and it is a hell of a road. I plan to cycle it next year as part of a tour of the perimeter of Scotland. Thanks for reminding me what a b*gger of day that is likely to be!

You can always drop in on Sir Paul Macca Macartney half way round (Southend) for a cuppa and a veggie sausage.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    pneumatic wrote:
    I've driven it (the Kintyre peninsula), a long time ago, and it is a hell of a road. I plan to cycle it next year as part of a tour of the perimeter of Scotland. Thanks for reminding me what a b*gger of day that is likely to be!

You can always drop in on Sir Paul Macca Macartney half way round (Southend) for a cuppa and a veggie sausage.

I am planning a 1000k (or more) audax perm next year. Although I am more minded to "west and up and back to Angus" I am open to ideas. At present my proposed route includes "a bit" of scenery ("scenery" = audax term for big hills. "a bit" = "as much as possible, but appear to be understated") up the west coast to Drumbeg, along the top past Durness, then over The Lecht and Glenshee.

I am not sre of the area around Kintyre so can anyone post a route or limks to see if I might be able to work it in? Just an "outside" thought as I am fairly committed to the route of "west and up and back"
  • Hi Richy
    Hope you are all keeping well and it is nice to see you are still looking at the most severe climbs you can find. It is still nice and warm here in Tenerife (approx 28 degrees).
    regards
    Alan (videoman)
  • Fat Head
    Fat Head Posts: 765
    pneumatic wrote:

or a rummage about in his garden :shock: 8)

richy, you don't hear too much about riding in this area, would like to try it although it's a long haul to get there
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Doesn't look that difficult. If you can stick out the first km, it seems to ease off to about a 14% average....

:D
    Le Blaireau (1)