MBUK Trail Centre Report - Latest ish - FTD

bikeandy
bikeandy Posts: 14
edited December 2007 in Routes
Just read Russel Burton's thoughts on FTD at Cannock Chase and have to totallay agree with him. I haven't been since spring 2006 and was totally dismayed at what I found. The trails in the main were little better than swamp and were obviously seeing a huge amount of traffic which they were blatantly insufficient to cope with.

I had to say that having observed the hard work the volunteers put in, let alone however much money had been ploughed in I found the conditions somewhat heartbreaking.

I wrote on the Chase Trails site to provide some feed back. I certainly didn't want to discourage or dissmiss the work they have done but the reality is, as Russell states, that a total re-think needs to be done on what the Chase can provide.

When you think about it this riding area must have a HUGE catchement area with very ready access. From Stoke the only other trail centres are at Betwys Coed or Llandegla but even from the relative closeness of Stoke these are 30 to 60 minutes further than the Chase.

When I go now I tend to go back to the Milford end and use fireroads and what singletrack I can find. This area too sees a good level of bke useage but I can only assume that as people go hither and thither the impact on the surfaces in the majority at this end is much less.

Sorry to have to say it but the only way forward I can see is a total closure of FTD while new and sustainable plans are laid.

Sorry!