Peoples Lottery Result - Good News for Cycling Projects

megilleland
megilleland Posts: 786
edited December 2007 in Campaign
Mark Edwards has sent me the following email - good news.

Integrated Transport Assistant Cycling, Staff Travel Plan, Park & Ride
Highways and Transportation, Herefordshire Council, Plough Lane (H37), Hereford. HR4 0LE
Tel: 01432 383653; Mobile: 07792 880743; Fax: 01432 383031

Thanks for your support for helping us bridge the gap between Rotherwas and Hereford.
The results will be announced on the evening news on ITV1 on Wednesday 12th December.

The result will be formally announced on the ITV news this evening though some of you may have seen it on the lunchtime news*.

*(ITV had an exclusive so we were embargoed to a 2pm release)

Connect2 gives us all a further opportunity to promote walking and cycling for our health and a more sustainable future

I'd like to echo the words below from Sustrans Chief Executive, John Grimshaw MBE and thank everyone involved - we've had a tremendous amount of support for our project and it was very encouraging when the emails came in from all quarters offering support and urging people to vote.

A process that has been echoed nationally 79 times and even locally, the Wye and Severn rivers between them boast five Connect2 schemes in all: Diglis Lock, Worcester; The Severnside Gap in Shrewsbury; our own Hereford-Rotherwas bridge; Wye and Monnow crossings in Monmouth; and a further Wye crossing at Tintern.

More thanks still are due to the very many people and organisations who got behind Hereford's Connect2 scheme and helped get the message out and about too. The whole process has been a testament to the power of community working and we look forward to the project getting under way soon. Thanks again for all your efforts - you were all magnificent!

Together we have won £50 million. (£350k for Hereford's scheme)

From John Grimshaw, Sustrans CEO:
“This is a fantastic Christmas present! We are delighted that Sustrans’ Connect2 has proved itself the peoples’ favourite in the public vote and won the £50million from the Big Lottery Fund.

“We are immensely grateful to Herefordshire supporters and everyone who got behind Hereford’s Connect2 scheme to bridge the gap between Rotherwas and Hereford to make their votes count.

“As a massive public consultation exercise Connect2 has engendered a huge amount of goodwill from all sectors. It has confirmed our belief that people want to walk and cycle more when given the right surroundings. But the hard work starts now and there will be a huge amount to be done to make sure we fulfil all our obligations to the Big Lottery Fund. Ultimately the real winners will be those thousands of people who will now be able to Connect2 their shops, schools, workplaces and each other every day!”
The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.

Comments

• squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I only caught the programme on the Eden project bid, but I got the clear impression from what I've read that the only scheme that would be seen by people across the country was connect2. That had to give it a huge advantage. Why would someone living 200 miles from the Eden project, who has never been to it and doesn't plan to, want to vote for it?

I've seen plan for the the scheme that will be implemented near to where I live (in Croydon). I'm not sure it will make a massive difference, but if it gets a few people on their bikes, who encourage others onto their bikes, who encourage others onto their bikes (...etc) then it will be worthwhile.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    squired wrote:

I've seen plan for the the scheme that will be implemented near to where I live (in Croydon). I'm not sure it will make a massive difference, but if it gets a few people on their bikes, who encourage others onto their bikes, who encourage others onto their bikes (...etc) then it will be worthwhile.

alternatively it may make a few motorists think cyclists shouldn't use the road when they have alternative farcilities, who make a few more motorists..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Where I live (Ingleby Barwick) it means we will get a bridge across the river to the park. Means I will be able to ride there with my daughters now :) .