The last post

the ferry
the ferry Posts: 258
edited December 2007 in Campaign
.....no not mine hopefully! :)
.....so laid up with bust ankle and heard that some remembrance parades were struggling to find buglers.
At the moment i'm making horrible noises with a mouthpeice but i have the best part of a year to learn.
Any advice? as in best give up now or give it a go kid.
also is there anyone who knows the notes to the last post on keyboard, thinking that may help to learn.

Comments

• ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi i was a leading bugler in my local sea cadet corps in the 1970s and played Last Post at the local cenotaph on remembrance sunday, i for one wish you well. Go for it, if you have understanding neighbours or better still (deaf) then plenty of practice should bring you up to a reasonable standard and the cenotaph could be all yours. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Thanks, great reply......still smiling warmly......see how we can be positive and encouraging!

i find when i'm on a back shift a good time, kids at school neighbours working etc.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    We can do most things when we put our minds to it. A little dedication, regular practice times, you can only practice for so long because your lips will swell up.Maybe you have found that out already.Oh, just one thing, we had a dog and when i played my bugle it started singing also. If you have a dog then maybe you will have the same problem, please keep us all informed. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Hi Ferry,

I played cornet and other brass instruments for years in our village band and played last post many times. You don't need music, just listen time and again until you know the notes. Cos a bugle has no valves, only the gob to think about. You'll get it really quickly. Having said that, a bugle is an unforgiving instrument to play well, so keep practising. Best of luck.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.