Incident on the North Quays this morning

Dublin Commuter
Dublin Commuter Posts: 130
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
I was cycling down the North Quays this morning. Ahead of me I see a Bus Eireann bus indicating to let passengers off at the bus stop at the Four Courts.

The bus is moving very slowly and a cyclist (male in his 30's) on an orange coloured mountain bike starts to move up along the inside of the bus. The bus driver hasn't seen him and moves closer to the kerb. The cyclist is close to the back wheel of the bus. The cyclist starts banging on the side of the bus to warn the driver that he is running out of room. The bus moves forward and pulls in at the kerb while the cyclists pulls out from the back of the bus and starts to over take the bus on the outside. I can see thet cyclist is annoyed. As he passes the front of the bus he takes his U-Lock which is hanging from his handlebars and proceeds to give the wind screen of the bus and almighty whack with his U-Lock. As far as I could see he didn't manage to damage the windscreen of the bus. The bus driver goes mental and keeps beeping his horn but the guards at the junction don't see what has happened. I follow the cyclist down the quays on my own bike but don't bother saying anything to him.
What do you guys think?

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I was cycling down the North Quays this morning. Ahead of me I see a Bus Eireann bus indicating to let passengers off at the bus stop at the Four Courts.

The bus is moving very slowly and a cyclist (male in his 30's) on an orange coloured mountain bike starts to move up along the inside of the bus. The bus driver hasn't seen him and moves closer to the kerb. The cyclist is close to the back wheel of the bus. The cyclist starts banging on the side of the bus to warn the driver that he is running out of room. The bus moves forward and pulls in at the kerb while the cyclists pulls out from the back of the bus and starts to over take the bus on the outside. I can see thet cyclist is annoyed. As he passes the front of the bus he takes his U-Lock which is hanging from his handlebars and proceeds to give the wind screen of the bus and almighty whack with his U-Lock. As far as I could see he didn't manage to damage the windscreen of the bus. The bus driver goes mental and keeps beeping his horn but the guards at the junction don't see what has happened. I follow the cyclist down the quays on my own bike but don't bother saying anything to him.
    What do you guys think?

Cyclist is a numpty who is guilty of attempted criminal damage and probably an affray ( if it was English Law)
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    Was the bus indicating before the cyclist pulled up the inside? if so the cyclist shouldnt have been attempting to undertake a vehicle that was about to manouvre.

If the the cyclist was already on the inside then inidication does not give a bus driver the right to pull over the top of a cyclist and use of mirrors before signalling and moanouvreing could have saved some problems there.

By the sounds of it the bus driver was probably blisfully unaware of the cyclist he came close to killing. Moving to undertake a vehicle indicating left is a plain stupid thing to do, but so is manouvering without checking mirrors.

Even if the driver DID indicate before the cyclist tried undertaking, In no circumstances is it ok to run over the top of the cyclist to get to where you want to go faster...

All in all its a good reason to overtake rather than undertake, and undertaking a bus running up to bus stop is probably a bad idea. If its indicating as well, then its practicaly a suicide attempt...
  • From my point of view, I would say:

1. Cyclist probably shouldn't have been attempting to cycle up the inside of the bus
    2. Bus driver should probably have been looking better in his nearside mirror, despite of 1.
    3. Cyclist banging bus with his hand is fair enough
    4. Whacking the windscreen with a U-Lock is beyond resonable - it's a deliberate attempt at retribution with intent to cause damage.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • DavidTQ wrote:
    Was the bus indicating before the cyclist pulled up the inside? if so the cyclist shouldnt have been attempting to undertake a vehicle that was about to manouvre.

If the the cyclist was already on the inside then inidication does not give a bus driver the right to pull over the top of a cyclist and use of mirrors before signalling and moanouvreing could have saved some problems there.

By the sounds of it the bus driver was probably blisfully unaware of the cyclist he came close to killing. Moving to undertake a vehicle indicating left is a plain stupid thing to do, but so is manouvering without checking mirrors.

Even if the driver DID indicate before the cyclist tried undertaking, In no circumstances is it ok to run over the top of the cyclist to get to where you want to go faster...

All in all its a good reason to overtake rather than undertake, and undertaking a bus running up to bus stop is probably a bad idea. If its indicating as well, then its practicaly a suicide attempt...

As far as I could make out the bus driver was indicating before the cyclist tried to move up along the inside. But although indicating the bus was not moving when the cyclists started to move up on the inside because it was stuck in traffic. The cyclist was probably hoping to sneak past while the driver was stationary but the then the traffic moved on and the cyclist was nearly crushed as the bus went to pull in. The bus driver obviously didn't see the cyclist.
  • IMO, the cyclist was an @rse and darwinism may see to him. Buses have a blind spot and anyone who undertakes one is taking a serious risk. More to the point, I would never advise tackling anyone who has a heavy bike lock and is prepared to use it. (Cycling down the quays demonstrates an insane streak in any case :) )
    Dan
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    DavidTQ wrote:

As far as I could make out the bus driver was indicating before the cyclist tried to move up along the inside. But although indicating the bus was not moving when the cyclists started to move up on the inside because it was stuck in traffic. The cyclist was probably hoping to sneak past while the driver was stationary but the then the traffic moved on and the cyclist was nearly crushed as the bus went to pull in. The bus driver obviously didn't see the cyclist.

Sounds 50/50 then cyclist shouldnt have been cycling up the inside of a vehicle indicating left, and mis judged the traffic situation, and bus driver didnt check his mirrors before manouvering. Is it possible the bus driver had already overtaken the cycle and so should have been aware there was one around?

Hoping to get through safely doesnt justify going up the inside of a vehicle thats indicating.

When it comes to the U-lock assault, traffic can be a funny thing, stop \ start etc is Was it possible the bus driver had already performed a really bad overtake earlier? although from this incident alone it sounds like the cyclist was at least 50% to blame for the close call and so in no position to be getting so angry himself, if the bus driver had already on that journey wound up the guy with a dangerously close overtake manouvre or a really bad cutting up, then that sort of anger would be understandable even if not correct.

Ive been on the scary side of homocidal overtakes from bus drivers before and it wouldnt have taken much of a second incident to make me flip and seem like a madman to a bystander at the second incident.