Recomendations on a sub £1000 XC hardtail?

Douche
Douche Posts: 134
edited December 2007 in XC and Enduro
In the new year im looking at purchasing a XC hardtail, the top end of my budget is £1000. Essentially im getting it via the "CycleScheme", although the bike wont be used for any commuting (my old Kona will be used for that.

Im after a quality hardtail. For many years i have always had a thing for Orange, though ive never owned one. Consequently im currently drifting towards purchasing a '08 Orange Evo8 (£950), ive also had the '08 Marin RockyRidge suggested to me though i fear that was more because its a sub £1000 machine that has Fox forks as standard (my freind raves about them on his 'Five').

I dont need a bike for big drops or jumps, i want a machine that is wholly practicle for its purpose, which will be running trails hard and fast, i want a bike that isnt short on quality components (Like Konas often are ... im slightly biased towards them since owning one), and also a bike that is relatively comfortable ... 70+ mile day rides for me are not unheard of.

Any suggestions please? i'll probably end up getting the Evo8 anyway but i at least want to try and consider options and alternatives.

Thanks
I found it hard, its was hard to find, oh well whatever nevermind.

Boardman Mountain Pro
185 G3 CleanSweep Front
Cane Creek Grips/Ergo Ends

Comments